• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Italian brand poncho, starts with F ... anyone know the brand??

katdavis

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2013), C2C(2013), Shikoku 88 Temples(2013), Thames Path(2013), Camino Portuguese(2014), Hadrian's Wall(2014), Cinque Terre(2014), Camino Primitivo(2014), Camino Ingles(2014), PCT(2015), Camino Frances (2015)
The last 10 days of walking the Primitivo in October, I walked through non-stop heavy rain. I was wearing wet weather pants, an eVent waterproof jacket (waterproof for about an hour)!, and waterproof shoes, but nothing stays dry walking day after day in endless rain. I even resorted to using a £2 plastic poncho to give my pack extra protection from the rain that was running down between my back and pack.

I passed lots of people wearing ponchos and the poncho that stood out and that everyone wearing raved about the most, was an Italian brand... I remember it started with F, but that's all I can remember. (My google search "Italian poncho starting with F" obviously isn't getting me anywhere!) ;)

I've been looking at getting a poncho for years but I've never found one light enough, breathable, and long enough to warrant not wearing wet weather pants as well, but this one looked the closest at ticking all of these boxes...

Does anyone know the brand??

Kat

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bajaracer,

Thank you!!! I love this forum!

I'll write a review once I've tested it :)

Kat

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I saw this poncho while walking the Camino Frances early this summer as well! I only had one day of pouring rain but may not be so lucky next time. Just ordered one from Amazon.

My wife and I were leaving Aumont-Aubrac (Chemin Le Puy) and as we left town we walked by a sporting goods store with a Ferrino poncho hanging outside on the door. We went in, my wife tried it on, it fit perfectly, and we've been using it ever since. It works perfectly for us. When I buy another one it will be a Ferrino. Well worth the investment. Dayton and Karen

Hello,

Ferrino sells various rain items. I will comment on the Ferrino Trekker, i.e. the raincoat with a front zip (not exactly a poncho).

My wife and I bought two of them, in Aumont-Aubrac as well, in 2013. We would have liked to like them, as they looked to tick all boxes.

They did well in intermittent drizzle. Rather easy to put on with some training; we could also adjust the front opening, not with the one-way zip, but with the various Velcros, or wear them on the bag only when the rain stopped. Some condensation, especially on the arms, but we had little hope in this compartment.

The "but" came under heavy day-long October downpours in Galicia : although the material retains most of the rain on the outer side (hopefully), some water finally made its way to the inside. My waist pouch was damp. I thought it could have been through the (basic and little protected) zip, but later on I noticed that my shoulders and my pack were also somewhat damp. Worth to notice that the air temperature was rather low and that I was more shivering than sweating.

The coats could do the following day on top of a light membrane jacket and a pack cover. But they didn't prove to be the (nearly-) perfect raincoat we are still looking for (if such a thing exists...).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I bit the bullet and bought a Packa. It has now been tested in the equivalent of a couple of weeks of downpours. I stayed dry. Except for the water that wicked up my shorts (didn't wear rain pants). If it were another foot longer it would be perfect!

Any poncho or Ferrino style coat has three potential issues

1) wind
2) indeed, water wickering up your trousers by capilarity (like when you dip a sugar lump in a coffee)
3) sweat inside condensates and after 3 hours you end up feeling wet.

There is no perfect solution, I am afraid, when rain is heavy and persistent... still my Ferrino is the best I have had so far

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Usually I see only the mentioning of Altus or Ferrino poncho's.
Perhaps the (German) Wäfo and Vaude are also good options, both have backpack and longer models.
Wish a good backpack silnylon poncho became available, the existing ones are usually not backbackmodels or just too short.
Search for perfection (never to be reached) goes on...

I walked my first Camino Frances in 2013 using a Ferrino Trekking raincoat. Many of the comments above are spot on. The greatest "pro" is the coverage of me and my rucksack (Osprey Kestrel 48 liter, plus an 8 liter dry bag strapped to the bottom of the rucksack). The greatest "con," is the accumulation of sweat.

Even if it is not raining constantly, you will still be wet from your own perspiration. I had to use the "redundant" Osprey pack cover to keep my stuff totally dry. On the other hand, this did keep me warmer than a poncho in very cold, single digit (celsius) weather.

My number one preference for a trekking raincoat would be something styled like the Ferrino Trekker, but with armpit zippers to open more ventilation to allow perspiration to escape. My other request would be for said raincoat to come in a non-natural color for road-walking safety. Dark colors are simply not as safe as a contrasting white or hi-viz neon color. A 2-way main zip would also be appreciated.

To recap, I (and presumably others) are looking for a hiking raincoat that has the following features:
  • Knee length (3/4 length) for leg coverage
  • Integral hood with a stiffened front brim
  • Expansion capability to permit wearing over a backpack
  • Adjustable sleeves (velcro)
  • Armpit zippers
  • Torso ventilation panels
  • A two-way main zipper
  • Available in really bright, contrasting colors.
  • Available in at least Xl or an XXL size to cover large folks with big rucksacks.
  • Lightweight...
If anyone knows any make, model or place this sort of thing is available, please let us all know. Please include a web link if you can.

Personally, for me, price is almost no object in my search for the "perfect" Camino rain garment. I have walked the entire Camino Frances in a Ferrino Trekker Raincoat and a Sea to Summit Sil-Nylon poncho. On both pilgrimages, I had more than 50% days with precipitation, both rain and snow. Both rain garments had distinct benefits and drawbacks. I am still looking for "perfection."

I hope this helps the dialog.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
t2andreo, et al,

I swear I don't own stock in it, just a huge fan from personal experience, but Packa, Packa, Packa. It is the closest to "best of all worlds" cross between a jacket, pack cover and poncho as can be found.
http://www.thepacka.com/

Out of your list it has the following:
  • Knee length (3/4 length) for leg coverage - NO, but it does have an extended butt flap!
  • Expansion capability to permit wearing over a backpack (can also serve as JUST a pack cover, with the jacket part tucked back)
  • Adjustable sleeves (NOT velcro - but toggle cinched)
  • Armpit zippers
  • Available in really bright, contrasting colors (The eVent version comes in red - but I have the 33D silnylon in charcoal)
  • Available in at least Xl or an XXL size to cover large folks with big rucksacks. (the regulars should fit, but he also offers custom cuben fiber packas)
  • Lightweight...
I also carry a lightweight, water-resistant full-zip windshirt and an umbrella, and feel I have finally achieved the greatest possible balance of light weight, comfort and mix-n-match versatility (for light and heavy rain days, and hiking/evening/travel/rest days).

I saw this poncho while walking the Camino Frances early this summer as well! I only had one day of pouring rain but may not be so lucky next time. Just ordered one from Amazon.
I received the poncho within a few days of ordering. I ordered the S/M, the smallest size available. It looked like a huge tent on me. Way too big. I'm sending it back to Amazon. A much smaller version may have worked. Next I will try the Packa.

Bajaracer,

Thank you!!! I love this forum!

I'll write a review once I've tested it :)

Kat
I had one and loved it. Easy on easy off. With the exception of my shoes and 4 inches of pant leg, kept me dry even in a Galicia shower. Lost it about 40 kilometers from Spain while walkinq in Portugal last September. Stupid me, I rolled it up bagged it and hooked it on my pack instead of putting it in my pack.. I'm getting a new one. The replacement I bought in Portugal is adequate but the Ferrino Trekker if superior to anything Iv'e used in the past. It cost more but is worth it. Got mine from Amazon.

Happy Trails

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had one and loved it. Easy on easy off. With the exception of my shoes and 4 inches of pant leg, kept me dry even in a Galicia shower. Lost it about 40 kilometers from Spain while walkinq in Portugal last September. Stupid me, I rolled it up bagged it and hooked it on my pack instead of putting it in my pack.. I'm getting a new one. The replacement I bought in Portugal is adequate but the Ferrino Trekker if superior to anything Iv'e used in the past. It cost more but is worth it. Got mine from Amazon.

Happy Trails

Great to hear, thanks Urban Trekker :)

I walked my first Camino Frances in 2013 using a Ferrino Trekking raincoat. Many of the comments above are spot on. The greatest "pro" is the coverage of me and my rucksack (Osprey Kestrel 48 liter, plus an 8 liter dry bag strapped to the bottom of the rucksack). The greatest "con," is the accumulation of sweat.

My number one preference for a trekking raincoat would be something styled like the Ferrino Trekker, but with armpit zippers to open more ventilation to allow perspiration to escape. My other request would be for said raincoat to come in a non-natural color for road-walking safety. Dark colors are simply not as safe as a contrasting white or hi-viz neon color. A 2-way main zip would also be appreciated.

To recap, I (and presumably others) are looking for a hiking raincoat that has the following features:
  • Knee length (3/4 length) for leg coverage
  • Expansion capability to permit wearing over a backpack
  • Adjustable sleeves (velcro)
  • Armpit zippers
  • Torso ventilation panels
  • A two-way main zipper
  • Available in really bright, contrasting colors.
  • Available in at least Xl or an XXL size to cover large folks with big rucksacks.
  • Lightweight...

t2andreo,
It seems like the Ferrino Trekker is fairly close to being "perfect". Based on your post, I decided to purchase the Trekker so that I could make some modifications to make it "perfect". Also decided on the Trekker since it is easily obtainable from Amazon and reasonably priced. Now that I have it in hand I can work the improvements before my camino.

I plan on doing three things.
  • Add armpit zippers
  • Remove the non adjustable wrist elastic and replace with adjustable elastic. Similar the the round elastic with clamp that is on the hood. This way I can choose to totally open the wrists for better ventilation if I choose.
  • Install a two way zipper closure for the front of the jacket.
So just wanted to get your opinion on the armpit zippers. How long should these be? I'm kind of thinking of a 7-9" length. Does these seem adequate?

Also I'm interested in your opinion of the "Torso ventilation" on the Trekker. There really is no adjustability to the current scheme and the openings are rather small. These vents are approximately 9" long on each side and on my Trekker the middle 1/3 is sewn shut. I am considering removing the stitching that is preventing these vents from opening up and putting in velcro in place of the permanently stitched area so that it could be opened all of the way up or closed. But it would also be very easy to install a zipper the length of the torso vents. Not sure if there would ever be a reason to have these totally closed though. It seems like being able to open these up would be helpful for better ventilation and incase you wanted to reach your hand inside your Trekker and access something in your shirt pocket. Anyone have an opinion on this?

Some info if you are considering the Trekker. I ordered S/M and I'm 5"6". It is just a few inches below my knee and I like this length. It is big and seems like it will cover my pack and still be roomy enough to walk. If you look online in some pictures the blue looks like a medium blue. But the color is a true navy blue, and yes it is kind of dark. Might look into adding some reflective material to my pack and walking poles so I can be seen.

After I make the changes I'll let you know how it goes, in case any of you are interested in making these modifications.

Dear Laura:

FYI, I have a red / wine-colored L/XL Ferrino Trekker raincoat from my 2013 Camino. My comments are based on that experience.

The pit zip length you are talking about is too small IMHO. The zips need to be about 18" long and extend about equally down your torso and along the underside of the upper arm. Be sure the design a flap to cover the zip to keep blowing rain out to the extent possible. I've looked at parkas and raincoats available at REI and Eastern Mountain Sports. Those pit zips are all in the 15-18 inch long range.

The chest vents are rather small. Personally, I would not open them further as rain may blow in. But you can certainly do the Velcro thing if you want. I think multiple tabs might be better than one long one. If it does not work to your liking, you can always resew the spot. No harm done. I would not do horizontal zips. That is over-complicating the issue. Sewn Velcro tabs will work just fine.

Also, besides the length (should be about the knees) you cannot have too much extra space in the chest area. Wearing the Trekker with my 48 Liter Osprey Kestrel worked great in 2013. However, in 2014, I added a chest pack from ZPacks.com to shift weight to the front to better balance the load. This works GREAT! However, the Ferrino Trekker does NOT have enough material in the front to accommodate the chest pack. So, I was compelled to move to a poncho. In 2014, I used a Sea to Summit Sil-Nylon poncho.

FYI, I am 5'11" and "barrel chested." As a matter of fact, You are welcome to my Ferrino Trekker (CHEAP) if you have not yet bought your blue model. Contact me via "Conversation" and we will take the matter "off line." In this regard, if the L/XL is too long, consider sewing Velcro tabs along the hem to convert the too long raincoat into a shorter configuration depending on the weather. I do not sew.

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.