• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Levante. Feb 2024
I'm planning to start out from Sevilla on Monday, February 11, 2019. Since the walk to Guillena is fairly short, there would be time to stop and see the ruins of Italica, but they are closed on Mondays. For those who've done this, is it worth waiting one extra day in Sevilla in order to pass through Santiponce when the museum is open?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I've been to Italica, though not on camino. I'd say it's worth waiting for depending on what the flow-on affect would be of losing a day, but I'm a former tour guide in Rome, so I like Roman sites more than most. Italica has a lot of mosaics in situ, which is the highlight of it. There's also a small amphitheatre, and it's the birthplace of emperors Trajan and (probably) Hadrian.

Plus, you'd get to spend an extra day in Seville, which is my favourite large Spanish city. If you haven't been before, don't miss the Real Alcazar (a kind of poor man's Alhambra), the Cathedral (the largest Gothic church ever built, if I'm not mistaken, with a lovely orange tree courtyard), and just walking around the historical neighbourhoods, soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying the magical light.

¡Buen camino!

I've been to Italica, though not on camino. I'd say it's worth waiting for depending on what the flow-on affect would be of losing a day, but I'm a former tour guide in Rome, so I like Roman sites more than most. Italica has a lot of mosaics in situ, which is the highlight of it. There's also a small amphitheatre, and it's the birthplace of emperors Trajan and (probably) Hadrian.

Plus, you'd get to spend an extra day in Seville, which is my favourite large Spanish city. If you haven't been before, don't miss the Real Alcazar (a kind of poor man's Alhambra), the Cathedral (the largest Gothic church ever built, if I'm not mistaken, with a lovely orange tree courtyard), and just walking around the historical neighbourhoods, soaking up the atmosphere and enjoying the magical light.

¡Buen camino!

I have been to Sevilla before, but a number of years ago and with a group of students in tow. Thanks for your feedback. The extra time in Sevilla might be a good idea on its own.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have a fair deal w/ my missus:
I do the caminos I need to do, and I select the towns I will visit with her in the future...
- and she will stay at home and deliver the babies that she has to do do as a homebirthing midwife...
So this coming spring in April we will do Seville with Italica as a must...even if it takes all day...
I must admit I cannot do do both at the same time, sightseeing is another kind of stay entirely ...

Last edited:
There is a nice hotel across the entrance to Itallica in Santiponce. Much cheaper than one more night in Seville. Why not walk there in the afternoon and take a look at the Roman city next morning. Gives you a half day more in Sevilla and a short day to Guillena the next day.

There is a nice hotel across the entrance to Itallica in Santiponce. Much cheaper than one more night in Seville. Why not walk there in the afternoon and take a look at the Roman city next morning. Gives you a half day more in Sevilla and a short day to Guillena the next day.
Thanks for the suggestion. Seems like a good alternative. I'll look into it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In 2012 I spent a while looking around on my way to Guilena, it was free for pilgrims and I could leave my pack in an office. However as we were having coffee across the road on last year's Via it looked so different as many tourist buses were starting to arrive. We gave it a miss.

I'm planning to start out from Sevilla on Monday, February 11, 2019. Since the walk to Guillena is fairly short, there would be time to stop and see the ruins of Italica, but they are closed on Mondays. For those who've done this, is it worth waiting one extra day in Sevilla in order to pass through Santiponce when the museum is open?
Hi WisTom, I’ll be one week ahead of you, I start on the 4th. May see you on the way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Be aware that the museums are closed on Mondays in Merida too as in most places in Spain. I stayed two nights in Merida to see the Roman museum, walked to Aljucén,took the bus back to Merida to sleep and visit the museums and back to Aljucėn the next morning by bus.

Hola,
I walked the VDLP this past fall. Italica was one of the places I was not planning on stopping at, but was glad I did. The VDLP is filled with places that have a lot of Roman history and sites, and Italica is definitely one of these places. I viewed Italica as one of the places that set the stage for all the other Roman sites I encounter going north.
Buen Camino - Pilgrim

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Be aware that the museums are closed on Mondays in Merida too as in most places in Spain. I stayed two nights in Merida to see the Roman museum, walked to Aljucén,took the bus back to Merida to sleep and visit the museums and back to Aljucėn the next morning by bus.
I appreciate the feedback. I'll take a look at the calendar to see when I'm arriving in MĂ©rida.

I highly suggest spending time to visit Italica! Especially if you are a 'Game of Thrones' fan - as the amphitheater was featured in the last episode. I pretty much had the entire archaeological site to myself when I passed through last year.

I paid a pricey 35 Euros for the nearby hotel but it was a comfortable stay. As ranthr suggests, you can next take a short day to Guillena, or a longer day to Castilblanco (like I did).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I vote for a visit to Italica. It's actually one of the reasons I was attracted to the VDLP. I really liked the mosaics that are being restored and its not often that you get to see how that is done.

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back