• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Italy in September

sharon w

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007
Camino Portugues 2009
Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Camino Finisterre 2012
Cammino di Assisi 2014
Via Podiensis, Camino del Norte, Camino Frances(Astorga to Santiago) 2015
Aussie Camino 2016
We are thinking of walking in Italy again this year. Last time we walked from Gubbio to Spoleto using Angela Serrachioli’s guide. This time we would like to follow the VF for 3 weeks. Can anyone suggest a section that would be through hilly, but not mountainous, countryside please?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
After Pontremoli there are no more significant mountains and the hills are fairly gentle. The climb to Radicofani is quite long but not steep or difficult. As I remember it almost all the route from San Miniato onwards is gently hilly and it would make a good place to start for a walk through to Rome. Easy to get to the station at San Miniato Fucecchio by train from Pisa or Florence.

In 2018, I finished the second half of the Camino started in 2017, hiking Lisbon to Porto. So I resumed the trek, Porto to Santiago, the last 150 miles, then flew to Geneva to rendezvous with one of my sons. It was his introduction to my favorite retirement pursuit and we walked 20 miles per day on the French Camino, then a train to Lyon for two nights, and a train back to Geneva for our flight home to the States.
Keeping up with a former college rowing athlete 30 years younger required some navigation off the traditional route. The pace with longer, younger legs was a bit daunting for a 69 year old. But I think introducing new folks, family and friends, does the Camino community a service.
This year I will return to Italy for a Francigena segment, Lucca to Rome. Eighteen months ago I started on the Swiss border at San Bernardo hiking toward Aosta on the first day. It’s a 4,000 drop in short order, too much for two basketball damaged knees and legs, particularly for a first day. A less aggressive plan is in order.
My first Camino was El Norte, six weeks and 500+ miles of natural beauty across the northern Spanish coast in 2015. The sense of freedom and wonder are great experiences and memories for later in life. Invite a friend or family member to share the trek with you.

In 2018, I finished the second half of the Camino started in 2017, hiking Lisbon to Porto. So I resumed the trek, Porto to Santiago, the last 150 miles, then flew to Geneva to rendezvous with one of my sons. It was his introduction to my favorite retirement pursuit and we walked 20 miles per day on the French Camino, then a train to Lyon for two nights, and a train back to Geneva for our flight home to the States.
Keeping up with a former college rowing athlete 30 years younger required some navigation off the traditional route. The pace with longer, younger legs was a bit daunting for a 69 year old. But I think introducing new folks, family and friends, does the Camino community a service.
This year I will return to Italy for a Francigena segment, Lucca to Rome. Eighteen months ago I started on the Swiss border at San Bernardo hiking toward Aosta on the first day. It’s a 4,000 drop in short order, too much for two basketball damaged knees and legs, particularly for a first day. A less aggressive plan is in order.
My first Camino was El Norte, six weeks and 500+ miles of natural beauty across the northern Spanish coast in 2015. The sense of freedom and wonder are great experiences and memories for later in life. Invite a friend or family member to share the trek with you.
I have also walked multiple caminos which have all been wonderful in their diverse ways. Last year we walked the Robert Louis Stevenson route then Chemin d’Arles crossing the Pyrenees at Somport. There will possibly be 3 of us walking this year. My brother-in-law is keen to walk in Italy this year. He has become a Camino addict as my husband and I are. Last year, I wasn’t fit enough when we started walking, so am already into a fitness regime. However, I still would prefer hills to mountains! Lucca to Rome sounds ideal.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! I'm starting research on the VF and, having walked the Camino Francés, I wonder how laundry/hand washing facilities and situations compare on the Francigena. I know there are more private...
Good news for pilgrims on the VF: https://www.viefrancigene.org/en/historic-pilgrim-hostel-reopens-in-siena-tuscany/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back