• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Italy New Restrictions on US visitors (9/1 announcement)

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

MM HILL

Frances, Le Puy, Foothill, Coastal, St Francis
Time of past OR future Camino
ALL US visitors and those who had spent 14 days in the US prior to arriving in Italy will require a PCR or Antigen test 72 hrs prior to arrival, regardless of Vaccination status. We are from the US, will be in France for 13-14 days before taking a TRAIN to Italy. I can’t find information about whether we will need to provide PCR or Antigen test in our situation. Does anyone have knowledge/facts of this?
Here is the announcement: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/ne...es-strict-travel-restrictions-on-us-visitors/

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
See below: this official EU information website will give you a good overview for France to Italy trips and this official Italian government website will provide you with more detailed information for your specific case of travelling into Italy. Note that currently France is a C country in the Italian classification system:

https://reopen.europa.eu/en/from-to/FRA/ITA
https://infocovid.viaggiaresicuri.it/index_en.html

The rules are made for general cases and do not cover every specific individual case. But your's is covered: 13-14 days in France and 0-1 day in the USA.

I think it is unlikely that anyone will control whether you comply when you cross the border from France to Italy by train or when you then stay in Italy. This is what most of us in Europe do when we travel to another EU country by train, by bus or by car: we try our best to find out what applies to our case and then we follow the rules whether we expect controls or not.

Bon voyage!

ALL US visitors and those who had spent 14 days in the US prior to arriving in Italy will require a PCR or Antigen test 72 hrs prior to arrival, regardless of Vaccination status. We are from the US, will be in France for 13-14 days before taking a TRAIN to Italy. I can’t find information about whether we will need to provide PCR or Antigen test in our situation. Does anyone have knowledge/facts of this?
No sorry -- this is a developing situation, and what Italy may decide in future is still an unknown.

Though Kathar1na is quite right that if you spend those 14 days in France, you will be considered as traveling from France and not from the US.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A forum member who lives in Italy, @GPeachy, had posted earlier in a thread: Here in Italy the newest government decree requires travelers [coming directly] from the US to have a negative COVID-19 test (within 72 hrs) in addition to proof of vaccination.

Below is the link to this new Italian decree. As it says at the end of the decree, it is currently in force from 31 August 2021 until 25 October: https://www.esteri.it/mae/resource/doc/2021/08/ordinanza_esteri_28-8.pdf

Here is the announcement: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/ne...es-strict-travel-restrictions-on-us-visitors/
My answer would be get one or the other anyway that way you're covered

Easier just to get one even if it costs.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Easier just to get one even if it costs.
I think you need to clarify your advice for travelling by train from France to Italy because I don't get it.

On Monday I travelled by train from one EU country to another one and then back again, and believe me, finding out/checking that I didn't need a test was a lot easier than arranging for a test, getting the test done and paying for it and doing so for no reason whatsoever. :cool:

If @MM HILL stays in France for 14 days and then takes a train to Italy, he will not need a test. And that is unlikely to change throughout the whole month of September and most of October; and very easy to check and confirm. Did you not check out the links to the Italian government websites already provided in this thread?

Last edited:
Off course if you wait till 2022 ,this may not occur,

I think you need to clarify your advice for travelling by train from France to Italy because I don't get it.

On Monday I travelled by train from one EU country to another one and then back again, and believe me, finding out/checking that I didn't need a test was a lot easier than arranging for a test, getting the test done and paying for it and doing so for no reason whatsoever. :cool:

If @MM HILL stays in France for 14 days and then takes a train to Italy, he will not need a test. And that is unlikely to change throughout the whole month of September and most of October; and very easy to check and confirm. Did you not check out the links to the Italian government websites already provided in this thread?
I seem to have hit a hot topic. My advice simply has to with my motto, "better to be safe than sorry". I'm proactive not reactive. One never knows when the rules will change since the situation is getting worse not better. My advice is based on my upcoming trip to France. I have always questioned why we could enter France would let us in only with proof of vaccination. We all know about breakthrough cases of Delta after having received the vaccine, even 2nd shot. So France is letting people in who could be asymptomatic Delta carriers. I think the rules will change again and it could change throughout the EU.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think the rules will change again and it could change throughout the EU.
The rules are constantly changing within the EU and they are constantly different from one EU country to the next. Seriously, what France requests from non-domestic tourists is different from what Italy requests, and what Spain requests from non-domestic tourists is different from what Germany requests. We have now lived with this situation for months and months and it doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon. However, there is a clear tendency to remove test requirements from those who are fully vaccinated, and impose them mainly on the non-vaccinated.

While I understand that travellers from the USA and elsewhere far away may be anxious not to miss their flights and feel safer when they have a negative PCR test result on their mobile phones just in case it is needed after all, I really don't see the point to do so - get tests that are not required - for cross-border train trips within Europe. I don't do it and I don't know anyone who would.

Last edited:
I seem to have hit a hot topic. My advice simply has to with my motto, "better to be safe than sorry". I'm proactive not reactive. One never knows when the rules will change since the situation is getting worse not better.
Yes, I like to be cautious, too. But in making plans, first I want to know what the requirements are. Then I consider adding other measures such as additional testing, additional connection time, printed documents as well as digital, or double masking, etc. What extra measures make sense to one person are not the same as what makes sense to another person. So it's important for us to be very clear on what the requirements are, and what our personal choices are.

Several current threads involve giving opinions about the rules, giving advice that is not based on the rules, and criticizing those who tell us what the rules are.

You may “question why France lets us in with only proof of covid vaccination,” but the forum is not the place to pose that question, sorry. The forum is the place to ask a factual question about what France requires. Forum members are trying to provide facts, always with the caveat that things may change on a dime. Keeping up to date with current regulations is no small task, and there is nothing to be gained by derailing these factual discussions with individual opinions about whether some country’s regulations make sense or not.

Remember what we have posted in numerous threads about covid discussions:

We will delete:
  1. Statements bordering on misinformation according to public health guidance.
  2. Opinion/comments for/against/about vaccines and variant transmissibility.
  3. Covid-focused opinion and rationalization of going or not going on the camino
  4. Other covid-related debates that have been thoroughly exhausted on the forum
We do think it’s important, for prospective and current walkers, to hear about what’s actually happening on the camino. But that kind of information seems like an opening for the spiral into the four topics noted above.

We know covid is going to be with us and the camino for a long time to come, but we simply cannot keep having these debates. PLEASE limit your posts to factual and pertinent information.

As of today, the information provided by @Kathar1na is accurate, so let’s close the thread. When new regulations are adopted, a new thread can alert forum members who come here for factual updates.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back