• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Italy's East Coast

Ray J

Where exactly are we?
Time of past OR future Camino
CF
Rota Vicentina & Portuguese
Paris to Moulins & Le Puy
VF
Cornwall & John Muir Way
This is a small "c" camino post wondering if anyone has information on hiking Italy's east coast, starting in Brindisi then heading north through Bari, Parco Nazionale del Gragano, and points north? Been having trouble putting together a trek of approximately 21 days that doesn't involve hiking a couple of days here and there, then needing to grab transportation to the next starting point.

We originally thought we'd follow the ancient Appian Way (GerardNL on WikiLoc.com has mapped it out to Matera...Thanks, Gerard!), but that appears to be unmarked "trails" mostly on highways now, so that doesn't sound very appealing. So, anybody have any info? Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What about the via Francigena nel Sud? It goes from Rome to Brindisi, but, apparently, you can walk it in the opposite direction, from Brindisi to Rome.

Here's a good map with some alternative routes, and one of the routes goes along the coast, starting in Brindisi and going northwards via Bari.

I couldn't find any information on the length of the via Francigena nel Sud, but Google.Maps say it's 547.9 kilometres between Rome and Brindisi.

The advantage of the via Francigena is that it's rather well documented and mapped, and the English versions of the official websites are every bit as informative as the Italian ones.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I, too, plan to walk in southeastern Italy this year, but have not yet found any good routes. The map Athena suggested is very informative, but it looks like the route from Brindisi to Bari is almost entirely on roads, some of which look like they may be heavily traveled.

The site Bradypus suggests looks to have a great deal of information, but it will take some study. I'll look at it and if I find what looks like a good route I will report back.

Thanks to both Athena and Bradypus.

Karl

This is a small "c" camino post wondering if anyone has information on hiking Italy's east coast, starting in Brindisi then heading north through Bari, Parco Nazionale del Gragano, and points north?...

Hello Ray,
In 2013 as I headed south through Italy to Bari I passed through the Parco Nazionale del Gragano to reach Monte Sant'Angelo. I was following La Via di Francesco: “Con le ali ai piedi”. After Mont S'A I walked down to Manfredonia then followed the beach and coastal roads to Bari. Afterwards I put together a list of stages etc. You'll need to log in for access:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/italy-shelter-2013.320/

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks! Very helpful. How busy were the coastal roads from Manfredonia to Bari?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Cannot help on east cost but for a three week's hike i would give a look here
http://viapostumia.eu/
It connects Aquileia on the north east of italy to Genova crossing several beauiful historical towns.
Google maps here
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...s&ll=44.79062498649246,11.023415407106086&z=8
It's receiving very good feed backs both on accomodation
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c7iP203zd4p0m1sUQ-0M_a0G2_bfLzj9/view
than the quality of trail marking.
A description in english is available here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gFBQki-0B9hfaRe5o0p0fDKAoO963NDv/view
Let me know for any additional info you would require
Giorgio

Thanks! Very helpful. How busy were the coastal roads from Manfredonia to Bari?

Hi @kmrice

I spent little time amongst traffic. From Manfredonia I hoped to walk the beach to Bari. I didn't know if this was possible. Most of the people I met along the way said that I shouldn't. They rarely went to the beaches near their villages. They were worried about criminal activity along the coast and thought the beaches too dangerous to walk.

I did not have a Gps, a guide book or a map so in Manfredonia I visited the tourist office to find out if walking the beach was possible. I was given a tourist map and helped with planning distances. The rest I improvised day by day. Below is a photo of the freebie map I used to walk from Manfredonia to Bari.

From Siponto onwards I walked the beaches, cycle tracks, farm tracks, minor roads and sometimes beside the motorway, but not very often. I skirted properties at the water's edge. I wasn't troubled by traffic. Each day I asked the locals if it was possible to walk the beach. Sometimes they said one couldn't, but in fact, I found that I could. It was quite an adventure. Here are a few notes from along the way:

*Siponto – Zaponetta : Walking the beach (1 ½ hours) ; on asphalt (20 kms)

*Zaponetta - Magharita di Savoie : walking by the sea and a road

*Magharita di Savoie – Trani : 1 ½ hours by the motorway until just after a bridge. Turned left through vineyards and olive groves to Barletta. After Barletta I walked an old road for 1-2 kms then the beach for 3 kms; I walked a concrete wall then jumped into the sand; walking the beaches, skirting properties then headed inland to find a road to Trani.

*Trani – Molfetta : coastal hike all the way from Biscegli to Molfetta

*Molfetta – Santo Spirito – Palese : From Molfetta to Giovanni I was able to walk along the stoney shore almost as far as the cemetary, then along a little road by the sea; skirting properties.

*Palese - Bari : walking the beach then heading inland; I asked directions from the police. They told me a safe way to walk into Bari whilst staying as close to the sea as possible.

.jpg

Wow, do I love maps! I can't see me walking these routes for a while, but what pleasure in pouring over them.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Many thanks to everyone who has contributed! You've certainly given us a lot to think about. Hopefully we'll have it figured out by the time we leave. :cool:

Hi @kmrice

I spent little time amongst traffic. From Manfredonia I hoped to walk the beach to Bari. I didn't know if this was possible. Most of the people I met along the way said that I shouldn't. They rarely went to the beaches near their villages. They were worried about criminal activity along the coast and thought the beaches too dangerous to walk.

I did not have a Gps, a guide book or a map so in Manfredonia I visited the tourist office to find out if walking the beach was possible. I was given a tourist map and helped with planning distances. The rest I improvised day by day. Below is a photo of the freebie map I used to walk from Manfredonia to Bari.

From Siponto onwards I walked the beaches, cycle tracks, farm tracks, minor roads and sometimes beside the motorway, but not very often. I skirted properties at the water's edge. I wasn't troubled by traffic. Each day I asked the locals if it was possible to walk the beach. Sometimes they said one couldn't, but in fact, I found that I could. It was quite an adventure. Here are a few notes from along the way:

*Siponto – Zaponetta : Walking the beach (1 ½ hours) ; on asphalt (20 kms)

*Zaponetta - Magharita di Savoie : walking by the sea and a road

*Magharita di Savoie – Trani : 1 ½ hours by the motorway until just after a bridge. Turned left through vineyards and olive groves to Barletta. After Barletta I walked an old road for 1-2 kms then the beach for 3 kms; I walked a concrete wall then jumped into the sand; walking the beaches, skirting properties then headed inland to find a road to Trani.

*Trani – Molfetta : coastal hike all the way from Biscegli to Molfetta

*Molfetta – Santo Spirito – Palese : From Molfetta to Giovanni I was able to walk along the stoney shore almost as far as the cemetary, then along a little road by the sea; skirting properties.

*Palese - Bari : walking the beach then heading inland; I asked directions from the police. They told me a safe way to walk into Bari whilst staying as close to the sea as possible.

View attachment 39270
Thanks so much.Very helpful!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back