• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Items I overlooked, but wished I had

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
More Spanish. I didn't overlook it so much as was lazy. I got by fine and figuring out how to get by was fun and interesting but I think I would have have enjoyed it more if I could have spoken more Spanish.

john

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very useful Reb. I had a neoprene doodad that attached to the belt with Velcro and even kept the water cool.
You can see it in the photo I posted with me and Elvis just hanging out in Leon!

Attachments

• Elvis.JPG
    Elvis.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 3,283
My shower/windproof jacket came rolled up in its own little bag with a drawstring top. It´s the perfect size for a 500ml water bottle and has a loop for attaching it to a belt. That´s what I´ll be using :D
Sandra

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Twice we have forgotten pillow cases. but remembered the sheet sleeping bags. A T shirt did as well. The problem about pillow cases is which shape?

Bridget/Peter-yes the pillows in spain are long and,in the albergues,of somewhat dubious cleanliness. I always take my old arab black/white chequered head covering (properly called keffiyeh or hatta I believe). It is very light and covers the whole of the pillow and doubles as a scarf for colder nights.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sarongs....I brought my Frida Kahlo sarong. It looked like art hanging on the clothes line every night I washed it. It was an instant picnic table anywhere. Shelter from the sun. A post shower wrap. A pillow case. A satchel.... A wrap for the shoulders on cool nights...Easy to wash. Fast drying and a thing of beauty that didn't weigh much that felt like a luxury.

Yes, I have taken a sarong on various adventures for all those reasons. Who needs a pillow case!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A little fan to blow away smoke in restaurants, and move stagnant air from my face at night.

I don't look good in a sarong, don't need a fan...just step outside and sit watching the folks go bye.

My Kathadin purfilter water bottle clipped to my upper right hand pack strap...easy to get to and no need to disengage to get a drink.

I would have liked a never ending vino bottle...takes care of pain, let's you make your Way as you gain and is easily filled again in Spain.

Buen got my stuff Camino,

Arn

A change purse. Coins slipped out of my velcro-fastened pockets every time I sat on the ground. I solved the problem on later walks with a cloth drawstring jewelry bag. Other similar products would work just as well.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The refugios now seem to provide bottom sheets and pillow cases which is wonderful.

In Santiago in 2009 I bought a very tiny camera tripod. Easy to use and very light. I was about to walk the Camino Inglés and knew there would be few pilgrims to take a photo with me in the shot. It was invaluable.

I forgot to pack it in December 2010 and my frustration was made worse by there being so few pilgrims who could take the photos for me.

My walking pole due to baggade restrictions - I bought a replacement after 2 days of 'nakedness'.
Then , one year I forgot my cycling shorts and so chafed leggies were the order of the day.

During my spring Camino Jaunts I take a gas stove and stop at least twice a day to brew tea , coffee or instant soup - yes , it is heavy but the treats are so precious to me ; I do miss the luxury when I don't take it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
falcon269 said:
A change purse. Coins slipped out of my velcro-fastened pockets every time I sat on the ground. I solved the problem on later walks with a cloth drawstring jewelry bag. Other similar products would work just as well.

My father always had a leather pouch with a ring attached to close the top - you just took me back to my childhood!

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
The refugios now seem to provide bottom sheets and pillow cases which is wonderful.

I wouldn't rely on it, especially on less regulated routes or in 'odd' places like monasteries (Combreces for example) or quirky places like Benevent L'Abbaye in France.

Arn said:
I don't look good in a sarong,
nor does Peter, but he packs one (very lightweight) for the pillow case/tablecloth/light covering when hot etc reasons.

RENSHAW said:
During my spring Camino Jaunts I take a gas stove and stop at least twice a day to brew tea , coffee or instant soup - yes , it is heavy but the treats are so precious to me ; I do miss the luxury when I don't take it.

Have you tried the lightest (330g) Trangia? http://www.trangiastove.co.uk/Trangia-Series28.php You'd need a little bottle for meths, (L'alcool a bruler, alcohol de quemar?) but that could live in an outside pocket.

We have a spiral water heater which clips on a mug (thermoplonguer) for cups of tea in alberques where there is no kitchen, but manage during the day with bought coffee or canned coke for the caffeine buzz!

I wouldn't rely on it, especially on less regulated routes or in 'odd' places like monasteries (Combreces for example) or quirky places like Benevent L'Abbaye in France.

Sheets: I take a lightweight roll mat to pop on to the bunk as some of them can be damp.

Pillow: I have very short hair and the bugs have to take their chances!

Joking aside, I do without the pillow if there is no cover.

But fair comment. Have only stayed in municipal albergues the past two years and not been off the beaten track.

omar504 said:
dubious cleanliness. I always take my old arab black/white chequered head (properly called keffiyeh ). It is very light and covers the whole of the pillow.

I also always use my old keffiyeh, bought in Syria when we lived there during the 70's. It's treadbare, but soooo useful. Pillowcase, neckscarf for walking so as to protect the neck from sun, etc., something to sit on sometimes. It's easy to wash and dries in no time. Something else that I always take along is a pair of shoulder pads, worn under T-shirt to protect my boney shoulders from the chaffing of the backpack straps. Anne

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Arn said:
I would have liked a never ending vino bottle...takes care of pain, let's you make your Way as you gain and is easily filled again in Spain.

Way to bust a rhyme, homes! Say, if you stagger across one of those never-ending vino bottles, let me know! But then again, the Spanish bar economy would suffer, and we can't have that... :mrgreen:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.