• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

it's a bit like having your first baby........

Magwood

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
.......planning for and walking your first camino, that is.

You read every resource available, many times over. You worry about whether you will cope with the disturbed nights, being woken way before you are ready for the day, and lack of sleep in general. Everyone tells you how painful it is, but nothing can prepare you for the real thing. Your life takes on a whole new routine, doing the same few things day after day. You are nurturing a desire and listening to your body and mind as never before.

And along with all the discomfort and disruption, comes a whole new exciting and fulfilling world, a whole new circle of friends, priorities change, things that seemed so important a few weeks earlier drift off into insignificance. You have endless patience for mundane tasks. You are delighted by tiny changes in a strengthening body. Small setbacks are followed by huge leaps forward. And the sense of joy and achievement in something only you are responsible for is immense.

But as with childbirth, immediately (only us women can truly appreciate this) you have given birth and the pain and effort are still fresh in your mind, you are likely to think that this is an experience you don't want to put your body through again. And miraculously, after only a day or two this wonderful thing that you have achieved eclipses any negative thoughts. And so, within days of reaching Santiago and exclaiming that you would never feel the need to repeat the experience, there creeps into your psyche, totally unbidden, this undeniable urge to stay in contact with the camino, to visit the forums day after day, and you very soon realise that there is nothing you want more than to walk that path again, be it the same one or a different route. And before you have even embarked upon your second camino, you are already thinking about which route to walk on your third!

And as with my second child, this year I am so much more relaxed about my second camino, not panicking about training, I know I can do it, I have put in some long practice walks but don't need to prove anything to myself. I'm a little anxious about walking alone this year, but I know that I will cope with whatever situation arises. And I will be kind to myself - if I am really struggling, then I will get transport to the nearest accommodation and return to my stopping point the next day, so that I can walk every step without over-taxing my body.

And just to take this whole train of thought full circle, the child that I gave birth to thirty years previously, introduced me to the camino last year, by inviting me to join her on her pilgrimage. Unfortunately she is not able to join me on my forthcoming camino Portuguese, commencing on 1 May, but who knows - maybe next year, on the Via de la Plata.......

(I wrote this piece for a local magazine before walking the camino Portuguese this year)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
.......planning for and walking your first camino, that is.

You read every resource available, many times over. You worry about whether you will cope with the disturbed nights, being woken way before you are ready for the day, and lack of sleep in general. Everyone tells you how painful it is, but nothing can prepare you for the real thing. Your life takes on a whole new routine, doing the same few things day after day. You are nurturing a desire and listening to your body and mind as never before.

And along with all the discomfort and disruption, comes a whole new exciting and fulfilling world, a whole new circle of friends, priorities change, things that seemed so important a few weeks earlier drift off into insignificance. You have endless patience for mundane tasks. You are delighted by tiny changes in a strengthening body. Small setbacks are followed by huge leaps forward. And the sense of joy and achievement in something only you are responsible for is immense.

But as with childbirth, immediately (only us women can truly appreciate this) you have given birth and the pain and effort are still fresh in your mind, you are likely to think that this is an experience you don't want to put your body through again. And miraculously, after only a day or two this wonderful thing that you have achieved eclipses any negative thoughts. And so, within days of reaching Santiago and exclaiming that you would never feel the need to repeat the experience, there creeps into your psyche, totally unbidden, this undeniable urge to stay in contact with the camino, to visit the forums day after day, and you very soon realise that there is nothing you want more than to walk that path again, be it the same one or a different route. And before you have even embarked upon your second camino, you are already thinking about which route to walk on your third!

And as with my second child, this year I am so much more relaxed about my second camino, not panicking about training, I know I can do it, I have put in some long practice walks but don't need to prove anything to myself. I'm a little anxious about walking alone this year, but I know that I will cope with whatever situation arises. And I will be kind to myself - if I am really struggling, then I will get transport to the nearest accommodation and return to my stopping point the next day, so that I can walk every step without over-taxing my body.

And just to take this whole train of thought full circle, the child that I gave birth to thirty years previously, introduced me to the camino last year, by inviting me to join her on her pilgrimage. Unfortunately she is not able to join me on my forthcoming camino Portuguese, commencing on 1 May, but who knows - maybe next year, on the Via de la Plata.......

(I wrote this piece for a local magazine before walking the camino Portuguese this year)
How inspiring to read your post. I can see why you are writing for a local magazine. Your writing is exceptional. I am about to start my first Camino. I have been preparing for a year reading this forum everyday ( this is what gets me out of bed) and I can not believe the post that have been written. They speak to me directly. I am sitting here on my computer thinking of my first Camino and mentally planning my 2nd and 3rd. My wife came to me and asked me to look up Camino around the world. We want to experience the world not like a tourist but like a local. We want to live like locals think like locals and become citizens of the world.
Thank you again for your help.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well put! As I began reading I was thinking "oh yes, and just like childbirth your perception of the intensity of the pain becomes downgraded with time." ...and then you said it! So true. We are planning for our second camino experience next August. A long gestation that will no doubt lead to more pain that is countered by all of the fantastic moments that we will experience!

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back