• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's a little late but my CI (and 1st Camino)

sophiehebrides

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles 2016
I've had some time for my feet to recover and my mind to reach into the spaces created by my Camino in April. Thank you all that offered words of advice and support, they were heeded and aporeciated.

I made it to Ferrol on the morning bus from SdC, just. In typical fashion I was late and had to run. This didn't help my feet... The day was beautiful, warm and sunny but I didn't appreciate it - I rushed, worried about getting to PD in time for a bed. I wrote in my journal 'I am meeting myself at every step'... Stressed, still tired from the journey to Spain and now with sore blistered feet but STILL rushing! I needn't have, I was the first of 3 to arrive in the albergie that night.

I calmed over the next 4 days as my blisters got worse and my humility increased, I walked alone as I had wanted but made friends (sometimes grudgingly) with a beautiful French woman who reminded me of my Mum. The route was quiet and there was lots of time for contemplation, though I quickly learnt that, actually, I do little of that, rather I worry about km walked and km to walk... I had to force myself to take it all in and sometimes I did.

On the 3rd day from Betanzos to Bruma it rained and rained. Bar Julia was open! I have never been so happy to walk into a cafe, especially when I was promptly offered a pancake. Walking up the hill was ok, walking past the pig factory was aroma-torture and my feet had had it, i learnt how to concentrate on one step at a time. I was well fed and looked after that night in Meson de Vento by the lovely family that run the small hostel/hotel and I met some more peregrinos. There are now (to my knowledge) 6 of us on the Way. I wake feeling more sociable and walk with the other woman who I've been passing through the previous days, she's quick though and I'm hurt so I stop a while in a meadow and let her go on. That night in Segirrio I am ready to give up - i walk the final 8km in my plastic sandals as my feet are so sore. A Catalan who is also on the route shows me where the hostel is when I'm so tired I can't read the map and proceeds to cheer me up with card games and lots of laughter. The Hospitaliro sorts my blisters and gives me some much appreciated care and attention. Amazing what a human touch can do when you're down. I get mistaken for a prostitute whilst outside on the phone to my boyfriend.

We start the last day together, 2 Catalans and I with much love and friendship made the night before, but I want to finish alone so I stop in a field to drink in the morning sun and let them go on. The last day is hard but filled with a kind of joy and I'm crying as I enter the old city, for my feet, for my Dad, for me. I meet the Catalans in the Cathedral and the French lady and we take silly pictures of each other and hug goodbye.

It was enlightening, tough and very joyful and I'm looking forward to the next.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've had some time for my feet to recover and my mind to reach into the spaces created by my Camino in April.
I love your story, thanks for sharing. Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lovely account: many of us struggle each time with the darned blisters: I've tried just about everything, but still get them. In spite of them, I invariably plan yet another camino within a month of my return. On Wednesday I set out on the path to Fnisterre....
Blessings, Sophie.
I hope one day our paths may cross and we'll share a beer or a coffee and a laugh together!
Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back