• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Ireland - It's a Long Way from Tipperary to Santiago -The Magic of The Camino

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
THE MAGIC OF THE CAMINO:
Tipperary to Santiago Camino. Day2-3:
79A2B17F-8EA5-472B-B207-6F10BF821CB9.jpeg
Santiago de Compostela on July 25 Feast of Santiago)
As I walked on the East Clare Way yesterday through the wee villages of Broadford and O’Callaghans Mills some doubt arose, for while the scenery was beautiful and the early walking through forests quite pleasant, the hills leveled out and the last part was on paved roads. I reached O’Callaghans Mills thinking maybe I should have started with the magnificent Dingle Way as originally planned. But I was picked up in O’Callaghans Mills by Mary Stack the mother of my friend Aoife Mullally, whom I met, along with her husband Thomas, last July while volunteering as a hospitalero serving pilgrims (peregriños) at Albergue Verde near the Don Quixote bridge in Hospital de Orbigo, Spain.
C94C45A5-91AD-4F03-8CE0-38C83385BB80.jpeg
(The wonderful nightly communal vegetarian meal at Albergue Verde)

Mary was the epitome of Irish Hospitality; buying me lunch, taking me to dinner at one of the nicest pubs in Ireland, providing a comfortable bed, and warm pleasant conversation. She opened up as the night went on and shared her feelings of the day her husband died. In the middle of the night I woke thinking that I am exactly where I am supposed to be. Connecting with and getting to know the people of Clare, the land of half my ancestors. I realized that the Camino is once again providing magic by taking me this way. Traveling around the world as much as I do, walking in spectacular scenery is normal for me. This walk is to connect with my ancestors and the people of Clare and that is exactly what is happening.
96C60334-FED1-4306-AB14-855057426F8C.jpeg
(Near O’Callaghans Mills)
And am realizing my stay last year in Hospital Orbigo and Albergue Verde has significance on this Camino from Ireland. Recalling the start of this journey of the spirit in Kathmandu, Nepal 10 weeks ago I was in the Trekking Permit office and ran into Silvia Martellotti who was a fellow Hospitalero with me at Albergue Verde. Great karma for both of us starting our treks in Nepal and both heading to Europe this month to begin Caminos de Santiago. Just two days into My Dream Camino, I have reconnected with Aoife and Thomas. Aoife saw I would be walking through Tulla, close to her mother’s home and talked to her mother and offered me their generous hospitality. In talking to Aoife, also remembering that the three of us were supposed to meet in Santiago de Compostela for the Feast of St. James, July 25. Fate intervened though when Aoife’s father, John, died on July 23 and they had to return to Ireland. On the 25th I waited in line for an hour to enter the Cathedral and lit a candle for John and Mary who I did not know yet and Aoife’s family. Never expecting to be brought together as has happened. So I will spend another night here with Mary as she drove me back to O’Callaghans Mills this morning and I walked back to Tulla.
A46C8ADD-92AD-4DDC-BA4C-D5AABBF31CD1.jpeg
(Tom and Aoife with John and Mary at their wedding last year)

Tomorrow on to Ennis following the familiar, comforting yellow arrows. Happy and excited feeling a strong connection to The Camino, The Don Quixote Bridge near Albergue Verde, County Clare and its people, wondering how this will play out.

9B16B024-0F6F-447F-9A79-880FD2826ABE.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wonderful story and a real camino connection. I live about 40 minutes away on the outskirts of Galway. We are all one big happy camino family!

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.