• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Its A Long Way From Tipperary to Santiago

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
My Camino started today as I planned to bus to Killaloe in County Clare, the birthplace of Brian Boru, the first King to unite all of Ireland. The bus dropped me off in Birdhill around 5 kilometers away and I would have walked to Killaloe but the narrow road has no sidewalks and is supposed to be dangerous so I was planning to hitch to my starting point. There was one other guy who got off here, but he crossed the street behind the bus while the driver retrieved my bag. I turned and went in front of the bus and saw this guy getting into his car so I yelled out “You wouldn’t be heading toward Killaloe by any chance?”. His reply, “Why yes we are in fact going TO Killaloe”. So i indicated my gratitude as a peregrino starting a pilgrimage to Spain from my home County. Daniel Minchin
D04FA73F-4F42-4F77-A4DE-5C85BCFA3E09.jpeg
and his wife took me right into Killaloe to the local church where he took a photo of me by the church.
61E09462-6788-499F-9C48-4BAD0C19ABAF.jpeg

The first BandB was full so I walked to Tourist Office which was open and a nice woman got me booked in a B&B across The River Shannon in Tipperary. She started apologizing for not finding a place in my home County Clare but I thought no this is a great twist that I am not starting my Camino in Clare. “It is a long way from Tipperary to Santiago.” And fortunately just a stones throw from Clare.
10252195-DD08-4B2C-941C-E5F0B4B63CAD.jpeg
My gear is in Clare as I look across the River Shannon to Tipperary.

You can follow my 3000k Camino on Facebook or
my blog at www.thesenioradventurer.com

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
What a lovely way to begin your Camino, all the best to you. I'll be following your blog since I would love to do some hiking in Ireland. The pictures are great! Thank you for sharing.
Buen Camino to you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.