• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's a quiet December day in Santiago

natefaith

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2009, 2014, 2017
Greetings from Santiago on a very quiet and mild December day! High season has finally wound down and the pedestrian streets in old town have been empty in the morning, gradually getting more busy as the day goes on. Today when I walked into work I was the only person on Rua Nova at 10:30am - an odd feeling as usually I see other people about doing something. Even the jewelry store on the corner and the nearby souvenir shops were still closed at that hour.

A truck pulled in front of Pilgrim House just now and its back was loaded with enormous, 5-foot decorative stars and lights - they're hanging Christmas decorations in the streets now, vendors are putting up twinkly lights, and soon we'll see Baby Jesus in a stable in Praza do Obradoiro (maybe he's there already, actually). Things are tranquil, and it's nice to take a deep breath, think back on the busy year that was, and get ready for winter projects and cleaning before next year's pilgrims come to town. Maybe in your part of the world you're feeling the same - winding down 2016, reflecting on what happened in your life these past months, and getting ready for next year.

All of us here wish you a very peaceful and joy-filled holiday season. If you stopped into Pilgrim House when you arrived in Santiago this year, we loved being a part of your pilgrimage and getting to know you! As you continue to reflect and think about your Camino, we hope the lessons you learned and the memories you carry would continue to take root and grow in your heart and life. And if you're just starting out on this Camino journey, anticipating a 2017 Camino (or later), we hope you enjoy all the planning. As someone once said, "You're going to like who you become at the end of this. But it will be really hard at times!"

Now it's time to head out to Froiz while it's still not raining and find something to eat. Take care and have a great weekend!
Faith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Greetings from Santiago on a very quiet and mild December day! High season has finally wound down and the pedestrian streets in old town have been empty in the morning, gradually getting more busy as the day goes on.

Hope to be passing your place some time tomorrow as this year's wonderful camino comes to its end.

Hope to be passing your place some time tomorrow as this year's wonderful camino comes to its end.

Hi Alan, how long will you be in Santiago? We're closed on Sundays (tomorrow) but hopefully we'll see you Monday. We'll be open from 11am - 6pm (winter hours :) ). Have a special time walking into Santiago tomorrow!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Greetings from Santiago on a very quiet and mild December day! High season has finally wound down and the pedestrian streets in old town have been empty in the morning, gradually getting more busy as the day goes on. Today when I walked into work I was the only person on Rua Nova at 10:30am - an odd feeling as usually I see other people about doing something. Even the jewelry store on the corner and the nearby souvenir shops were still closed at that hour.

A truck pulled in front of Pilgrim House just now and its back was loaded with enormous, 5-foot decorative stars and lights - they're hanging Christmas decorations in the streets now, vendors are putting up twinkly lights, and soon we'll see Baby Jesus in a stable in Praza do Obradoiro (maybe he's there already, actually). Things are tranquil, and it's nice to take a deep breath, think back on the busy year that was, and get ready for winter projects and cleaning before next year's pilgrims come to town. Maybe in your part of the world you're feeling the same - winding down 2016, reflecting on what happened in your life these past months, and getting ready for next year.

All of us here wish you a very peaceful and joy-filled holiday season. If you stopped into Pilgrim House when you arrived in Santiago this year, we loved being a part of your pilgrimage and getting to know you! As you continue to reflect and think about your Camino, we hope the lessons you learned and the memories you carry would continue to take root and grow in your heart and life. And if you're just starting out on this Camino journey, anticipating a 2017 Camino (or later), we hope you enjoy all the planning. As someone once said, "You're going to like who you become at the end of this. But it will be really hard at times!"

Now it's time to head out to Froiz while it's still not raining and find something to eat. Take care and have a great weekend!
Faith

Thanks so much for everything that you do for pilgrims and for all of us!

Have a joyful Christmas season.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Faith and Nate, you are forever in my thoughts and always with gratitude, as well as others at Pilgrim House who do such a remarkable service for Pilgrims.
I often share the experience and photos with friends (made a DVD) and the final photo is my 80th birthday cake that you presented to me at Pilgrim House.Who could ever forget such a kindness. My deepest and warmest wishes for a beautiful Christmas season to all of you. I'll be walking in Scotland come May/June, now at 81Blessings.

I am so grateful for the hospitality and welcome offered by the Pilgrim House (and I got there on a hugely busy day). May you all have a Merry Christmas and a fulfilling and wonderful New Year!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for the beautiful post, Faith.
Wishing all of you at Pilgrim House a well-deserved rest--and lovely and reflective Advent season.
Merry Christmas and happy New Year!
Thank you for your kindness and for all the work you do.

Thanks, @Viranani ! SO great to meet you this year. I still remember your hug. You are strong! :D

Faith and Nate, you are forever in my thoughts and always with gratitude, as well as others at Pilgrim House who do such a remarkable service for Pilgrims.
I often share the experience and photos with friends (made a DVD) and the final photo is my 80th birthday cake that you presented to me at Pilgrim House.Who could ever forget such a kindness. My deepest and warmest wishes for a beautiful Christmas season to all of you. I'll be walking in Scotland come May/June, now at 81Blessings.

It was an honor to celebrate such a milestone with you, Maggie! We loved it. That's great that the cake is in your DVD - now I'm really proud! Enjoy Scotland - you are an inspiration to many. Hugs.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am so grateful for the hospitality and welcome offered by the Pilgrim House (and I got there on a hugely busy day). May you all have a Merry Christmas and a fulfilling and wonderful New Year!

Thank you for the encouraging words, Priscilla! Looking at your photo I think I might have met you? Take care and hope you had a wonderful Camino.

Please consider sharing a pic or 2 of the Cathedral or surrounding area decorated for Christmas. Enjoy the advent season and Merry Christmas.

Good idea, linkster. I'll try to do that this week. No rain is forecast after all, which means it will be a good time to get some good pictures :) Merry Christmas and God bless.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you for the encouraging words, Priscilla! Looking at your photo I think I might have met you? Take care and hope you had a wonderful Camino.

Looking at your photo, it's entirely possible, you do look familiar. I did have an amazing Camino -- at some point, I will be back.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Would love to see that pic Maggie, of you and your cake! I tell quite a few people about you walking into Santiago at the age of 80! They can't believe it!! Thanks for all you do Nate and Faith. I did not get a chance to meet you in June when I came thru Santiago but the Pilgrim House is awesome! Had a wonderful cup of coffee and spent some alone time in the back room, reflecting and being grateful. I donated some of my gear before I left that I did not want to pack home. Blessings to all!

Would love to see that pic Maggie, of you and your cake! I tell quite a few people about you walking into Santiago at the age of 80! They can't believe it!! Thanks for all you do Nate and Faith. I did not get a chance to meet you in June when I came thru Santiago but the Pilgrim House is awesome! Had a wonderful cup of coffee and spent some alone time in the back room, reflecting and being grateful. I donated some of my gear before I left that I did not want to pack home. Blessings to all!

Very cool, Angie! Sorry we didn't get to meet you - if it was in June we may have already been in the US for the summer. But I'm so glad you got a chance to reflect and relax. Hope to see you next time!
Faith

Per @linkster 's idea, here are some Santiago photos from the last few days. Last I saw they still hadn't put up the nativity scene in Obradoiro, but I'll check again.

The photos are of: Rua Nova decorated with stars, workers putting up Christmas trees in Praza do Obradoiro, decorations at the Mercado de Abastos, ornaments in Pilgrim House's window, and publicity for stores on Rua Nova. Enjoy!!

IMG_4695 small.jpg IMG_4731 small.jpg IMG_4733 small.jpg IMG_4650 small.jpg IMG_4738 small.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Angie, I'll send you a PM......

Me too, please, Maggie!
Faith thank you for these lovely pics, a Christmas present for all of us.
And thanks to @ivar we have snowflakes on top of them--it's quite wonderful.
Merry Christmas to all.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back