• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's about time, by Johnnie Walker

It's about time, by Johnnie Walker [Paid] 1.0

No permission to buy (€10.00)

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Time of past OR future Camino
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
SYates submitted a new resource:

It's about time, by Johnnie Walker - A call to the Camino de Santiago

With “It's about time” the author has accomplished a difficult task, writing a Camino book that is at the same time interesting for those that never have even heard of the Camino as well as those who have walked many. Short paragraphs explain the history of the Camino as well as practical matters like the Credencial and the Compostela. And it's framed by a foreword by Camino author Joyce Rupp and a conclusion by Martin Sheen of 'The Way' fame. But most of the book is about the inner...

Read more about this resource...

PS The print version is available from https://www.caminosociety.com/product-page/it-s-about-time-a-call-to-the-camino-de-santiago

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just purchased my Kindle copy :). Looking forward to reading it on my smartphone on my next camino. Hopefully it will help me understand a bit more about why I am there – again 😃.
Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Outstanding Book … It will make you cray and laugh …. it shows how everyones experience on the Camino is different and their own ,,,,, Thank you John

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Purchased my kindle copy and read it thru in one sitting (plenty of tissues nearby). Well done, Johnny Walker and a big TY to SYates for telling us.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@movinmaggie I just send you a PM, let's see if you can answer there ;-) BC SY
Hi again. I was asking if there was a print version and what the best site would be to order it. I only saw Kindle versions. Johnny had asked me for an article, but I was smack in the middle of a writers conference in Mexico and didn't have the time then, regrettably. Hope you are well. I'll be walking in the Outer Hebrides in late Spring, by then, age 84. Maggie

€46,-
John you have brightened my last week as I read your book with it’s different take on the camino. As I read it I felt that I could almost hear you speak it (always a good sign of authenticity ) I should finish it tonight As our common friend put it at the beginning of this
stream it really is for both the newcomer to the camino and the old hand, however both your deep experience and sage like approach laced with the love for all things Pilgrim shine through "Well done good and faithful servant”! Hope I see you in 2 weeks time.

Just a little hint for all of you that bought the book and read it - authors like reviews ;-) So, if you have a bit of time on your hands, a review on Amazon would certainly be appreciated! BC SY
Done, now that I have finished reading this wonderful book!
Beautiful job, John - THANK YOU.
And thanks for spreading the word, @SYates...

€60,-
Well, I bought it on Kindle this morning and have just finished it.
I don’t read books about the Camino any more but I made an exception with this one... partly because of the author and partly because it was recommended by @SYates.
It is a wonderful book! So few pages but it filled me with joy and wonder, just like walking a Camino!
Absolutely recommend it. ❤

€46,-
Indeed, it is about time! Thanks for the post, and at once the title brought one of my favourite singers to mind. I have just finished the book, sadly! It is too short...
Here is a link to the song of the same name.

Finished the book this weekend. Very good read. Loved how he combined the camino preparation topics with stories of the camino. I laughed out loud at the story about the scolding he received for not wearing a hat and had to stop reading for a good cry after reading about the couple he met on the Camino Portuguese.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Finished the book this weekend. Very good read. Loved how he combined the camino preparation topics with stories of the camino. I laughed out loud at the story about the scolding he received for not wearing a hat and had to stop reading for a good cry after reading about the couple he met on the Camino Portuguese.

It would be really great if you could put up a review also on Amazon, so that more people get to know it. And, remember, nobody makes any money from this book - all profit goes directly and entirely to support pilgrims and pilgrim's associations. So by helping others to discover this great read, you help future pilgrims in doing their Camino.
BC SY

It would be really great if you could put up a review also on Amazon, so that more people get to know it. And, remember, nobody makes any money from this book - all profit goes directly and entirely to support pilgrims and pilgrim's associations. So by helping others to discover this great read, you help future pilgrims in doing their Camino.
BC SY
I did a review of the book when prompted at the end of my read, but I am not sure where that goes. I did buy the book through our Amazon Prime membership, but I am looking on the general Amazon site just now and don't see it listed there. I will go ahead and post a review there as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
SYates submitted a new resource:

It's about time, by Johnnie Walker - A call to the Camino de Santiago
PS The print version is available from https://www.caminosociety.com/product-page/it-s-about-time-a-call-to-the-camino-de-santiago
This link is priced in euros (based in Ireland) which will be good for many on the forum.
UK buyers can order a print copy either from CSJ bookshop or direct from Redemptorist publications (the publishers). If you order from the latter you can leave a review, if from the former I think it helps CSJ funds.
Also any Christian bookshop should be able to get it for you if you prefer to support them by buying direct and not on-line.

Thank you @Tia Valeria for researching and posting this additional options! And indeed, if you buy from the CSJ, all profits go to support their good works, for example with the albergues in Rabanal and Gaucelmo, as the author has donated his right to royalties ;-) And for those who want to order via a brick and mortar bookshop, here the necessary info:

It' about time
A call to the Camino de Santiago
Johnnie Walker

Redemptorist Publications

ISBN 9780852315552

Happy reading and/or gifting this book ;-)

BC SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree, and to add a picture:

Attachments

• book CSJ.jpg
    book CSJ.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 8
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Again, a gentle reminder, if you read this book please leave a review for it on Amazon, GoodReads or anywhere else you can think of. This way it can be found by readers interested in the same topic ;-)
BC SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just saw this on Facebook, posted by the author:

"AMERICAN PILGRIMS ON THE CAMINO - ANNUAL GATHERING 12 MARCH

I've donated 200 copies of the book "It's About Time" to American Pilgrims to sell to raise funds for the organisation. Every cent of the purchase price goes to support their work. The books will be available at the Gathering. If you aren't going and would like a book - and to support American Pilgrims - speak to someone who is going.

Also if any Chapters want additional books please email me and we'll see what can be done."

BC SY

Some good news that John just posted on Facebook:

*****​
THANK YOU ALL - 26,991 EUROS RAISED FOR CAMINO ASSOCIATIONS AND CHARITIES SO FAR
I have just received the sales figures for It’s About Time to the end of May 2020. So far 483 kindle copies and 2,361 paper copies have been purchased.
Remember every cent of the purchase price goes to charity – no one involved in writing the book receives any payment.
That means so far a magnificent 26,991 euros has been raised. Thank you.
The Camino needs all the help it can get right now – keep buying and spreading the word.
Thanks.
https://www.rpbooks.co.uk/its-about-time
*****​
And here the Amazon links for those that prefer eBooks:
Amazon.com Amazon.co.uk

For other 'Kindle countries' do a search for 'It's About Time: A call to the Camino de Santiago Kindle Edition by Johnnie Walker' in your respective store …

Update from the author:

HOW TO HELP ALBERGUES SURVIVE – AND GET SOMETHING IN RETURN
I’ve donated 120 more copies of the book It’s About Time to the CSJ who run two donativo albergues – one on the Camino Frances at Rabanal del Camino and the other at Miraz on the Camino del Norte.
100% OF THE PURCHASE PRICE OF EVERY BOOK WILL GO TO HELP SUSTAIN THE CSJ AND THESE ALBERGUES
The is the time for us to dig deep to keep these facilities alive for future pilgrims.
If you don’t have a copy of the book – buy one
If you have a copy of the book – buy one for a friend

Purchase links here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ime-by-johnnie-walker-paid.63704/#post-772129

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Mary Colwell’s new book The Gathering Place: A Winter Pilgrimage Through Changing Times. Why did it make the 2024 shortlist of the best travel books? Several of the books on the shortlist are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.