• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's been an entire year and I'm feeling ready to go back

D.Matthew

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012, Portuguese 2018, Ingles 2022
It's been a year now since I walked from St. Jean to Santiago and Finisterre. It's funny, I thought after a while I'd stop checking in with this forum and move on to other adventures. I just love coming back to hear the stories of those walking, and check in on the progress of those planning to make their way in the near future. All of the blogs, photo albums, and videos bring me back to what was one of the greatest months of my life. I think it might be time for me to start planning a Pt. II.

My Camino Movie: http://youtu.be/f4R30r6Tync

My Camino Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drewrobinson/sets/72157631571051507/

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am already obsessed with this walk and I haven't even done it yet! I CANNOT WAIT!!! I fear that when I finish, I will want to turn around and head back to the beginning but won't be able to! :) I love reading above everyone's time there. Congrats to you for getting it done once and making your plan for trip 2. AWESOME! I am jealous! My hope is to get out there within the next year or two.

Love the video! I've been home from my first Camino for just one month. I miss it so much. Maybe another one in a year or two...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Inspirational. For me this video could be called a must see for all past, present and future pilgrims. I have found many fabulous videos, blogs, photographs and posts on this forum and this one ranks high amongst my favourites.

In particular your narrative, choice of music and the timing of pulling it all together in what was for me a perfect way to spend time after a Camino training walk.

Thank you, a thousand times thank-you.

Thanks so much for posting this. I leave next Thursday (Aug 22nd) and feel so excited! Your video but, more importantly, your words encourage me. Gracias!

I agree... it does get under your skin. I finished the last of my 2 Caminos in September last year and flying to Spain again in September to start my 3rd Camino. Love every step of the way.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
This video is the second in two days crossing my path. I do not believe in coincidences. My first anniversary is coming up in October this year. It was one of the greatest times in my life and I call it my happy place. My second Camino is surely going to happen. Thanks for a great film which brought back so many happy memories.

Your video is amazing and I love the soundtrack and voiceover. Thank you for the inspiration :) I go next week for the first time.

18 months since my experience and i loved it, met great people..... why would i want to trip along the same small piece of our planet when there is so much to explore???, so many cultures..... corners.... new friends? are you guys searching for repeats ?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Drew..B4 I went on the Camino Frances from SJPP (snow and ice but peaceful) I watched your video and loved it. Now being home for 2 months I love it even more. The camino has become part of me..every night in my dreams I walk through lavander, wild thyme, wine orchards and climb mountains that I miss dearly. Walking the last day into Santiago (a magical 500 miles) through forests of eucalyptus was enchanting and magical. I took a side trip in Leon and took a bus to Oviedo to visit. The Camara Santa ("whoever goes to St James visits the servant and not the master"..old saying in Oviedo) was a pleasant surprise. I was going to take pics for a friend who'd lived there many yrs ago but stumbled on the Camara and the history of the shroud and the cloth..the camino is always magical. Snowed on the way there and the night b4. Many times on my camino I thought of your excellent film and told many where to find it..it is truly uplifting. Now I am planning next April..either La Puy or Primitivo from Oviedo. It was a Buen Camino! Thank you

Hey, D. Matthew, thanks for your link. And I know just what you mean when you say it's time to begin planning your next Camino.

Last night, as I was about to go to sleep in my own bed, I had a sudden feeling that I was back in Spain, passing through the blissful scenery and unforgettable smells. We have only been back a few shorts weeks now so I suspect we will have many more feelings like that in the coming months. It keeps us wanting more and, to be honest, we are already planning our next visit - although lack of money may mean we cannot actually keep our promise to ourselves as we are now both retired. Although we did ride the Camino this year, I think walking it would bring us even more wonderful, uplifting experiences.

Stunning ....... SO MANY beautiful images, great accompanying music...... It brought back many memories from my Camino I walked last year -( though the season was very different) .... I have sought out footage , blogs, books and ANYTHING I can find since my return.... and nothing has affected me like your doco..... I found it so moving Drew, you have really captured the spirit and the mood and the bond of pilgrimage... it's a great work - thank you so much........ Buen Camino !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
18 months since my experience and i loved it, met great people..... why would i want to trip along the same small piece of our planet when there is so much to explore???, so many cultures..... corners.... new friends? are you guys searching for repeats ?

I'd like to thank everyone who commented on this thread for their kind words and support! Being a part of this pilgrim community truly is special. While walking, we come across so many great people to share our time with. Some over many days, and others just in passing. One aspect of this forum that keeps me coming back is the parallel to this notion.

Wingnut, that's a valid question. I'll explain my feelings like this: Here in LA, we have an endless number of great restaurants to choose from. I like to try new restaurants quite often, but there are a few that are so good that it would be a sin to never return. Sure, I've been to them before, and of course there are many other restaurants I've never been to. You make "repeats" sound exclusively negative...It's not always just a location, it's about the memories, the friendships, and the way these things become a part of who we are. It's for this reason that I'll be returning to walk The Way again in the future (hopefully from Le Puy this time).

Having just returned from a 100 mile trek in Peru, your question is one I've asked myself. Walking the Inca Trail, Salkantay trek, and Ausangate trek was truly amazing, and I'll continue to visit other places on this big blue marble. To me, the Camino is still tops. It's not just a series of locations, it's a far ranging personal experience. This is my personal opinion, as I'm sure you will get varying answers from other pilgrims. I just wanted to give you a response, as I feel every triple question mark inquiry deserves :)

Nice piece of work, D.Matthew! I've been there and also want to return someday soon hopefully. Memories, footage, photos and voiceover (!!!) of your short film surely takes me back in a way. I can totally understand your feelings for the Camino, because you are not the only one that became hooked ;)

Take care!

Beautiful video , nice colors, fantastic landscape, inspiring for so many .
Thanks for showing THE WAY to somany people.
Buen Camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Watched your video on YouTube and so glad to see you here on the Forum as well! Your video was both inspirational and informational - would love to see you do a video on your gear/packing list and what you like/disliked! Buen Camino

Loved your video - I, too, want to go back and do it again!
Love your video also, especially your words at the beginning - "I shall pass through this world etc..." I too am planning to journey along the Camino again, starting in April 2014.....just less than one year since walking my first in May of this year .

Watched your video on YouTube and so glad to see you here on the Forum as well! Your video was both inspirational and informational - would love to see you do a video on your gear/packing list and what you like/disliked! Buen Camino

Thank you, Irène Elisabet. I've been meaning to make a few more videos on the Camino. The gear review videos were very helpful to me while I was in the planning phase. I'll make sure to post them here as soon as they are finished. I'm in the process of finishing up a video on a 100 mile trek I did though Peru, but as soon as that's finished I'll get on it.

Best, Drew

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A lovely video. Your blog is great reading too. It is inspiring me to plan my walk for next year from Le-Puy in France. I loved walking the Norte last year and agree it is life changing. Even at my old age!

A lovely video. Your blog is great reading too. It is inspiring me to plan my walk for next year from Le-Puy in France. I loved walking the Norte last year and agree it is life changing. Even at my old age!

I'm jealous!! For my next walk I'd like to try the Norte, or start from Le-Puy if I can manage the time.

I really enjoyed your video. I keep coming back to the Camino because I love it so. Why stop doing something I love? You have put an idea in my head. I hope to go to Finisterre this time. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Happy New Year! And only five months until I complete what I started and had to abandon due to tendonitis in May 2013 exactly a year later. At least I now know exactly what to take in my backpack, what my body can take albeit another year older and what to expect. So looking forward to hearing those words 'Buen Camino' again......

So looked forward to watching your video. But I can't watch it in Germany - German law won't let me!!!!!

Thanks! Unfortunately, the songs in my video violate the online content laws of Germany. You may be able to watch it on vimeo though:
Let me know if that works :)

Best, Drew

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Wingnut, I keep coming back to your question. I finally put together a video for my trekking in Peru to Machu Picchu and Ausangate, and although I have a strong desire to walk the Camino again, my desire to explore new cultures and corners of the world may be stronger. I'm not sure where in the forum I should pose this question, but I wonder what places outside of Spain do former pilgrims enjoy walking the most. It's tough, on one hand I'd like to simulate a similar experience...but it's the new and unexpected that makes such a lasting impression. Maybe it's not about recreating the Camino, but recreating what the experience did for me. I've been thinking of doing Tour du Mont Blanc and the walkers Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermat this summer. I would also really like to do St Olaf's Way. Have any pilgrims walked either route or do you have suggestions as to other places to explore?

Best, Drew

Peru Video Below

I wonder what places outside of Spain do former pilgrims enjoy walking the most. It's tough, on one hand I'd like to simulate a similar experience...but it's the new and unexpected that makes such a lasting impression. ... Have any pilgrims walked either route or do you have suggestions as to other places to explore?

Not speaking from experience, but you might find the Shikoku pilgrimage route in Japan worth looking into.

Drew, check out walkopedia.net -- a website that lists different hikes and walks around the world. It's a place to start.

It's been a year now since I walked from St. Jean to Santiago and Finisterre. It's funny, I thought after a while I'd stop checking in with this forum and move on to other adventures. I just love coming back to hear the stories of those walking, and check in on the progress of those planning to make their way in the near future. All of the blogs, photo albums, and videos bring me back to what was one of the greatest months of my life. I think it might be time for me to start planning a Pt. II.

My Camino Movie: http://youtu.be/f4R30r6Tync

My Camino Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drewrobinson/sets/72157631571051507/

I've seen your video yesterday, and I didn't knew that you are also a Forum member :)

Loved to see it, makes me want even more to come back :)

Best Regards
Diogo

...I wonder what places outside of Spain do former pilgrims enjoy walking the most. It's tough, on one hand I'd like to simulate a similar experience...but it's the new and unexpected that makes such a lasting impression. Maybe it's not about recreating the Camino, but recreating what the experience did for me. I've been thinking of doing Tour du Mont Blanc and the walkers Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermat this summer. I would also really like to do St Olaf's Way. Have any pilgrims walked either route or do you have suggestions as to other places to explore?
Very nice videos Drew!
What comes first in my mind is:
- The camino from le Puy if you still like to do a camino but in a different country
- GR 23 or GR 10 across the Pyrinees from Mediterranean to the Atlantic ocean. 23 is on the spanish side, 10 on the french side. The 23 is still on my wishlist.

Last edited:
My fist

Very nice videos Drew!
What comes first in my mind is:
- The camino from le Puy if you still like to do a camino but in a different country
- GR 23 or GR 10 across the Pyrinees from Mediterranean to the Atlantic ocean. 23 is on the spanish side, 10 on the french side. The 23 is still on my wishlist.
Thomas, I have been reading many threads where people refer to the GRxx. What does the "GR" refer to and if I don't know the numbers is there a website to input the GR 23 for example and get the general map?
Thanks
Stefania

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thomas, I have been reading many threads where people refer to the GRxx. What does the "GR" refer to and if I don't know the numbers is there a website to input the GR 23 for example and get the general map?
Thanks
Stefania

On
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GR_footpath
there is general information about GR paths.
I made a mistake in the GR numbers. I meant the GR 10 (on the French side of the pyrenees) and GR 11 on the Spanish side. This is the spanish GR 11, not the french one. (The numbering still hasn't have an all european system...)
A map of the french GR routes you can find at
http://about-france.com/tourism/long-distance-footpaths.htm

On
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GR_footpath
there is general information about GR paths.
I made a mistake in the GR numbers. I meant the GR 10 (on the French side of the pyrenees) and GR 11 on the Spanish side. This is the spanish GR 11, not the french one. (The numbering still hasn't have an all european system...)
A map of the french GR routes you can find at
http://about-france.com/tourism/long-distance-footpaths.htm
Thomas, thank you so much. You have completely cleared up my confusion! I can hardly ever say that ; )
Stefania

A big thanks to everyone for their advice, and thank you for clearing up the meaning of the GR paths! I had been wondering about that, too!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wingnut, I keep coming back to your question. I finally put together a video for my trekking in Peru to Machu Picchu and Ausangate, and although I have a strong desire to walk the Camino again, my desire to explore new cultures and corners of the world may be stronger. I'm not sure where in the forum I should pose this question, but I wonder what places outside of Spain do former pilgrims enjoy walking the most. It's tough, on one hand I'd like to simulate a similar experience...but it's the new and unexpected that makes such a lasting impression. Maybe it's not about recreating the Camino, but recreating what the experience did for me. I've been thinking of doing Tour du Mont Blanc and the walkers Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermat this summer. I would also really like to do St Olaf's Way. Have any pilgrims walked either route or do you have suggestions as to other places to explore?

Best, Drew

Peru Video Below
Hi Drew,
I posted a link earlier this week under the other caminos tab about a new walk from Vienna/Bratislava to Trieste, Italy. It's called the European Peace Walk and they're looking for 100 walkers to start it off this year on July 28th, (100 years from the start of WWI). This might have the camaraderie and culture that, I think, helps to make the Camino so much more than a walk. But I know nothing more of it that I read in the press release.
Kelly

Most read last week in this forum

I was lucky enough to chat with Bill Bennett yesterday about his new movie The Way My Way. Bill is the Writer and Director and the movie is a true story of his first Camino in 2013. He's been...
Here’s my daily blog of my walk from Lisbon to Santiago with Relive videos. I started on April 17. https://paulscamino.com/
đź‘Ł Ever wandered what it is like to take an 11 and 14 year old on the Camino Frances? We can tell you, it is an amazing experience that you will be talking about for time to come! We managed to...
Am doing a vlog on the Plata which I thought I'd share! Started off with three nights in Seville for the FerĂ­a de Abril (video 1), and joined by my cousin from Vancouver. Currently on Day 3...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back