• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It’s finally happening! September-October Camino Frances

strangecreature

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, (September/October 2019)
Hello Everyone!

After 3 years of research, planning, saving, praying, and dreaming I finally booked my tickets to France this morning. I will be arriving in SJPDP on September 2, 2019. Plan to go very slow and end in mid October in Santiago (or maybe to the end of the world if I have time) I’m very excited. Hope I can connect with other pilgrims planning to walk in Sept/Oct of this year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You will meet plenty of people. My husband did the full five weeks in 2013 and is still in contact with some of the people he met. I am doing a Camino sept/oct but it may be the portugese. remember everyones camino is special to them, walk what you are comfortable with each day, one day last year I did 5Km one day, and 20 the next. Enjoy and talk to everyone.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello Everyone!

After 3 years of research, planning, saving, praying, and dreaming I finally booked my tickets to France this morning. I will be arriving in SJPDP on September 2, 2019. Plan to go very slow and end in mid October in Santiago (or maybe to the end of the world if I have time) I’m very excited. Hope I can connect with other pilgrims planning to walk in Sept/Oct of this year.
Good luck Mate - one thing is for sure - it will be fantastic. Enjoy and, Cooee.

Hello Everyone!

Best wishes! I did the same in 2016, even starting on Sept. 2 from SJPDP. I averaged 20 km a day. Many average more, so don't feel pressured to push onward and risk injury or burnout. I also planned to continue to the end of the world, but chose not to by the time I reached Santiago. I spent two weeks touring Portugal, instead. I had beautiful weather as I walked in a light rain only once on the CF during 37 days of walking (39 days including rest days). September started very hot. By the end it was pretty chilly some mornings. (Layers, layers, layers). Some like to be alone. I like being with others. You may find connections come and go for various reasons - different paces, different distances, injuries, time limitations, etc. I found a walking buddy for the last 11 days that was very helpful from a morale standpoint as the daily routine became tiring. We were the same age (65), walked the same pace, and the same daily distance. You might discover that you're starting during a very busy time on the CF. Unfortunately, I got caught up in the bed race early on and became focused on reaching my next bed instead of "smelling the roses" along the way. If I walk another camino, It will be with a different approach so I can spend time taking in more culture and history. Buen Camino!

You will meet plenty of people. My husband did the full five weeks in 2013 and is still in contact with some of the people he met. I am doing a Camino sept/oct but it may be the portugese. remember everyones camino is special to them, walk what you are comfortable with each day, one day last year I did 5Km one day, and 20 the next. Enjoy and talk to everyone.
Thank you Catherine! I plan to try for around 20k a day. I think that is a good pace for me. The Portuguese Camino sounds amazing! Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Best wishes! I did the same in 2016, even starting on Sept. 2 from SJPDP. I averaged 20 km a day. Many average more, so don't feel pressured to push onward and risk injury or burnout. I also planned to continue to the end of the world, but chose not to by the time I reached Santiago. I spent two weeks touring Portugal, instead. I had beautiful weather as I walked in a light rain only once on the CF during 37 days of walking (39 days including rest days). September started very hot. By the end it was pretty chilly some mornings. (Layers, layers, layers). Some like to be alone. I like being with others. You may find connections come and go for various reasons - different paces, different distances, injuries, time limitations, etc. I found a walking buddy for the last 11 days that was very helpful from a morale standpoint as the daily routine became tiring. We were the same age (65), walked the same pace, and the same daily distance. You might discover that you're starting during a very busy time on the CF. Unfortunately, I got caught up in the bed race early on and became focused on reaching my next bed instead of "smelling the roses" along the way. If I walk another camino, It will be with a different approach so I can spend time taking in more culture and history. Buen Camino!
Thank you. I appreciate hearing from someone that did the Camino at the same time and pace as I am doing it. I wondered about how hot or cool it will be in the fall. I guess I should expect more summer weather in early September. I am a cold weather person, I like it cool. I am from Upstate New York so my idea of “fall weather” is skews lol I hope the bed race isn’t too bad. I think I will try to get early starts because the mornings are cooler. Thank you for the insights.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We did the CF from SJPP Sept.-Oct. 2017. I thought one would be enough. :p HA HA on me...I leave in 3 weeks to walk the Camino Portugues from Lisbon. We met SO many wonderful people with whom I still keep in touch. As a matter of fact I have just made plans with a German couple we met outside Pamplona to do the Camino Inka next year. It just never stops....

Good luck and enjoy your journey. Starting in SJPdP on the 13th Sept. Buen Camino.
Thanks Lua, I saw your post on the calander and was going to comment. I’ll be ten days ahead of you but we may meet before Santiago as I plan on going very slow so you might catch up to me by the end! I hope no matter what we both have great weather and the best of luck this September. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hey Debra, I’m always excited to hear from someone that is starting around the same time. Here are my plans for the first week
Sept 2 SJPdP
Sept 3 Orisson
Sept 4 Roncevalles
Sept 5 ??? (Wherever my feet take me)
Sept 6 Pamplona
Sept 7 Pamplona
Sept 8 ??? (Wherever my feet take me)

After that I will pick up the pace. I have a full 7 weeks so I gave myself plenty of time. I hope we do meet somewhere on the road but either way Buen Camino! (Can September come faster?!)

Hey Debra, I’m always excited to hear from someone that is starting around the same time. Here are my plans for the first week
Sept 2 SJPdP
Sept 3 Orisson
Sept 4 Roncevalles
Sept 5 ??? (Wherever my feet take me)
Sept 6 Pamplona
Sept 7 Pamplona
Sept 8 ??? (Wherever my feet take me)

After that I will pick up the pace. I have a full 7 weeks so I gave myself plenty of time. I hope we do meet somewhere on the road but either way Buen Camino! (Can September come faster?!)

I think we will probably cross paths along the way for sure since we are only one day apart. Your schedule is very similar to mine so far. I have only 20 days so I am debating how to cover that much distance (obviously only parts of it since I can't fly :) ). I wish I had more time but I have to get back to work but I feel very blessed to be given 20 days. So whatever section I do not complete, I will return another time and do it and not feel bad about it at all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you. I appreciate hearing from someone that did the Camino at the same time and pace as I am doing it. I wondered about how hot or cool it will be in the fall. I guess I should expect more summer weather in early September. I am a cold weather person, I like it cool. I am from Upstate New York so my idea of “fall weather” is skews lol I hope the bed race isn’t too bad. I think I will try to get early starts because the mornings are cooler. Thank you for the insights.
I did the Frances last year Sept 1/October 10. With the exception of a couple of rainy days and a few cool mornings it was very warm. You just never know what to expect. I live in California where it has been raining for over a week, IN MAY, WTH?? :cool:o_O

I did the Frances last year Sept 1/October 10. With the exception of a couple of rainy days and a few cool mornings it was very warm. You just never know what to expect. I live in California where it has been raining for over a week, IN MAY, WTH?? :cool:o_O

Yes! What's up with the weather? I am in San Jose for a few weeks for work and it seems to be raining every day. Never seen that happen this time of year before.

I also live in Cali besides the unusal rain it’s also been very cool ( dare I say cold) when iwalked last April there was alot of rain so I decided to do this years Camino Sept10-Oct 29, 49days!! Hoping for warm sunny weather ☀️☀️☀️☀️

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I also live in Cali besides the unusal rain it’s also been very cool ( dare I say cold) when iwalked last April there was alot of rain so I decided to do this years Camino Sept10-Oct 29, 49days!! Hoping for warm sunny weather ☀☀☀☀
Woohoo, 49 days! I am thinking of doing a little longer next year as well (44 last year). Buen Camino.

I live in Upstate New York so I’m use to cold. Unlike Cali there is never any sun here except June-August. A lot of cold. I was hoping a fall Camino will be more moderate. I expect a lot of rain maybe in Galicia in October when I finish.

I live in Upstate New York so I’m use to cold. Unlike Cali there is never any sun here except June-August. A lot of cold. I was hoping a fall Camino will be more moderate. I expect a lot of rain maybe in Galicia in October when I finish.

September is one of the busiest months to walk. I started my journey on the 9th September last year and being from upstate Ireland didn't mind the 24-34 degree Celsius heat. In five weeks received two days of rain almost regretted having to carry my poncho. I would highly recommend the walk from Santiago to Finisterre, probably one of the prettiest walks post Camino plus let's your body prepare to wind down and process what you've experienced. If you have time walk from Porto back to Santiago and you'll be addicted for life. Buen Camino 😊

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Everyone!

Hi Strange Creature. Starting from SJPdP on 19
Hello Everyone!

Hi Strange Creature. We are leaving SJPdP on 19th September. Taking it slow - we are first timers also and mid sixties. Probably won’t get to meet you but will be walking in your footsteps and those of thousands of others. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi everyone, I am starting in SJPDP on September 4th and I will be going to Roncesvalles that day. Maybe a crazy decision. I do not know yet, but I have a bit of mountain and hiking experience, so we´ll see...:))) But I am so excited!!!!!! Except for a couple of days on the Mosel-Camino in Germany, I am a newbie. Very excited to meet fellow pilgrims. Buen Camino

Hi everyone, I am starting in SJPDP on September 4th and I will be going to Roncesvalles that day. Maybe a crazy decision.
Not at all, I'm planning same crossing on the 29th September and expect it to take 8 hrs but I am mindful from last year's walk to book ahead in Ron. The Camino is not just a physical undertaking but an opportunity to meet people and hear and tell your story, hence reason I booked stopover in Orisson after walking 7km from SJPdP last September which turned out to be an incredible introduction to my Way but expect that this accommodation is already booked out. There's no crazy decisions, do it your Way and you've come to the right place as I've found and you shall find the contribution and resource's available on this forum are second to none. Ultreia 🤠

Last edited:
Not at all, I'm planning same crossing on the 29th September and expect it to take 8 hrs but I am mindful from last year's walk to book ahead in Ron. The Camino is not just a physical undertaking but an opportunity to meet people and hear and tell your story, hence reason I booked stopover in Orisson after walking 7km from SJPdP last September which turned out to be an incredible introduction to my Way but expect that this accommodation is already booked out. There's no crazy decisions, do it your Way and you've come to the right place as I've found and you shall find the contribution and resource's available on this forum are second to none. Ultreia 🤠

Hehe yeah I made this decision based on the „booking situation“, otherwise I would have loved to stay in Orrison... it is what it is. After that I can slow down and also take time to meet people. I did not plan on crying on the first day, but that might happen after 1.200 m of elevation in one day 😬 I will start early and be prepared for self pity and yelling at myself the last 2-3 hours. 😉
Ultreia

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey creature:) I'm starting in Pamplona on the 5th. First timer here!!! I'll be coming from the east coast as well, a bit south of ya in NJ. Definitely excited, and hope we cross paths...
Buen Camino

Wow a bunch of new post on this thread, it’s very exciting to hear from people that will be on the trail at the same time. I’ll be in Zubiri on the 5th so I’ll be right behind you. Hope we do meet up at some point. Buen Camino! (It’s coming up so fast!)

Hi everyone, I am starting in SJPDP on September 4th and I will be going to Roncesvalles that day. Maybe a crazy decision. I do not know yet, but I have a bit of mountain and hiking experience, so we´ll see...:))) But I am so excited!!!!!! Except for a couple of days on the Mosel-Camino in Germany, I am a newbie. Very excited to meet fellow pilgrims. Buen Camino

Okay we will definitely meet because I will also be arriving at Roncesvalles on the 4th. Very exciting. As I posted elsewhere I am a very large American man with a very bright red backpack so I will be hard to miss lol

I did not plan on crying on the first day, but that might happen after 1.200 m of elevation in one day 😬
Not wanting to add to those tears but at 1200 metre's you might want to keep handkerchief handy when you realise there's another 230m to climb but it's all downhill after that for 7.5km

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Everyone!

Hello Everyone!

My husband and I are also arriving in SJPDP on September 2nd, starting our walk on the 4th (staying at Orrison on the 4th, Roncesvalles on the 5th). And being a northern Canadian, I am really hoping the heat waves will be gone! We will not be racing for beds either but hope to simply enjoy the moments as we walk. See you on the Camino!

Not wanting to add to those tears but at 1200 metre's you might want to keep handkerchief handy when you realise there's another 230m to climb but it's all downhill after that for 7.5km
hahaha!!! ok, so I will cry twice on the first day. I hate downhill. :D ;) Buen Camino

Okay we will definitely meet because I will also be arriving at Roncesvalles on the 4th. Very exciting. As I posted elsewhere I am a very large American man with a very bright red backpack so I will be hard to miss lol
OK, will look for a bright red backback. I am short and if you hear a woman yelling and crying in german on the way down to Roncesvalles, this will be me :D LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

€60,-
My husband and I are also arriving in SJPDP on September 2nd, starting our walk on the 4th (staying at Orrison on the 4th, Roncesvalles on the 5th). And being a northern Canadian, I am really hoping the heat waves will be gone! We will not be racing for beds either but hope to simply enjoy the moments as we walk. See you on the Camino!
I will also start on the 4th in SJPDP. I am really glad somebody else is praying for a nice temperature on that day. Doubleprayer :)))

I am from Upstate New York so my idea of “fall weather” is skews lol I hope the bed race isn’t too bad. I think I will try to get early starts because the mornings are cooler. Thank you for the insights.

I walked during the same time last year. It was warm, and we were lucky to avoid the rain on all but 2 days, but I hear that's unusual. Early starts recommended. Make sure you have a headlamp as it will still be dark at 8am. Where in New York are you from?

Most read last week in this forum

Not sure where to place this. Something is wrong with BOOKING.COM. It has locked me out of my account both thru the app and online. I made ALL OF OUR RESERVATIONS (starting next week) thru them. I...
..all packed and still 24 hours before I start my journey...train to Gatwick,flight to Bilbao, bus to Pamplona the taxi with others to SPDPfor night of 23rd...so what can I do now??
Hello everyone, I've been browsing this forum for a while now, and it's been incredibly helpful in planning my Camino journeys (so far, I've done Vézelay, Frances, and Portuguese, and tomorrow I...
Hi, we are starting from Sarria on April 28, 2024. Getting excited...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back