A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

It's getting really hot - Seville-Salamanca from May 29th 2019 onwards

Camino Badges

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Hi,
I will leave for Seville tomorrow. My walking companion is already in Seville now and has found the first markers round the corner of the cathedral.
We will start with the blessings of the pilgrims service on wednesday and hope to reach Salamanca within 3 weeks. I have some more days left, thus I may continue to Zamora.
I hope that it will not be too hot - we intend to start by dawn whenever possible and to avoid the maximum heat in the afternoon.
Please do not expect me to post in this forum while I am on the camino. I will be offline during my journey, focus only on the beautiful landscape, the villages and towns and of course the people I meet.
I hope I will meet some wonderful people, just as I did on my previous caminos.

BC
Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
(2015) Frances
(2018) Portuguese
(2019) VdP Seville to Salamanca
(2020) VdP Salamanca to Santiago
Best of luck with the heat. I just walked that route. The biggest problem I found was that many of the stages have no place to stop for water so you end up carrying more than you normally would (plus I sweat profusely when walking so it was painful). That said, the remoteness of the area is pretty nice. Hopefully, the wildflowers will still be in bloom when you walk. They were absolutely magnificent a couple of weeks ago. Best of luck.

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
I finished walking the Portuguese Camino out of Porto two weeks ago. It was starting to get quite warm towards the end. I always prefer to border on being chilly, rather than warm or hot. I have far more energy to walk long distances when chilly, as opposed to having zilch energy in the heat...I don't know how the summer walkers can persevere so well!

Simon B

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Ingles and Camino Frances. VDLP Spring 2019
Hi,
I will leave for Seville tomorrow. My walking companion is already in Seville now and has found the first markers round the corner of the cathedral.
We will start with the blessings of the pilgrims service on wednesday and hope to reach Salamanca within 3 weeks. I have some more days left, thus I may continue to Zamora.
I hope that it will not be too hot - we intend to start by dawn whenever possible and to avoid the maximum heat in the afternoon.
Please do not expect me to post in this forum while I am on the camino. I will be offline during my journey, focus only on the beautiful landscape, the villages and towns and of course the people I meet.

BC
Alexandra
Hope you are good with the heat. I started from Seville toward the end of March and found some days very hot. Unfortunately had to stop after a week with severe blisters which were exacerbated by the heat. Starting again in October when I hope it will be cooler.

Colette Z

Happy Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
Please take care. I’ve read that a heat wave is on the way for Portugal and Spain up to 40C....way too hot for the VDLP in my opinion.

Ann_S

Camino(s) past & future
VDLP May 2019
Please take care. I’ve read that a heat wave is on the way for Portugal and Spain up to 40C....way too hot for the VDLP in my opinion.
I am in Aljucen today where it is 36C. Hot! but walking here this morning from Merida was completely pleasant. Start early and stay hydrated!

Bob from L.A. !

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018. Many more to come in my future God willing !
Hi,

BC
Alexandra
I'm jealous !

Enjoy!

CaroleH

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
Buen camino, Alexandra. Enjoy the wonderful VdlP.

patk

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, De la Plata, Norte, Portugal, Primitivo, Ebro, Madrileno, Norte again (2016)
Hi,

BC
Alexandra
Buen camino!

Make sure you have a broad brimmed hat
Sunscreen and plenty of water.
Oh lordy it gets hot there

jungleboy

Nick
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (Spring '17)
Primitivo (Spring '18)
Madrid (April '19)
It’s already here! It’s been around 33 degrees Celsius in Lisbon every day since Wednesday, which is quite hot for Lisbon (thankfully it will be back to low-mid 20s by Tuesday). The inland areas in southern Spain can often be up to 10 degrees hotter than Lisbon so I don’t even want to know about it!

For those walking in this heatwave, please take care.

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
Start and finish early. Plus all the other advice posted for dealing with hot weather.

jerbear

Camino(s) past & future
Camino de madrid, camino francis, camino inverino (2012, 2013,2014)
CdM, Francis, San salvador, primativo june 2015 CDM , francis, inverino 2016
Camino madrid, via de Plata. Santiago.
Coast of the dead malpica to muxia
Hmmm you do know its summer. Lol 39 coca. But the breeze here is awesome. BC

Tim Greig

Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2016
Via Podiensis 2017
Via Francigena 2018
Take one of Ivar's solar umbrellas. I lived under it last summer in Italy. I've not walked the VDLP but I wouldn't attempt it in the summer.

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Hi,

I am back now well - only with a few blisters. The heat was only a problem for me on the very first day. Leaving Seville after the pilgrim´s mass (at 9 in the morning) turned out too late for the full stretch to Guillena. It became really unpleasant by 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Being not accustomed to the high temperatures (37/38° C - compared to 17° C when I left Germany) then I had some problems. Fortunately some locals gave me a lift for the last 2 km to the albergue. Otherwise I would have had to wait in the shaddow until the temperatures went down again, which was only after 8 o'clock in the evening. I always carried plenty of water (2,5 - 3,5 litres, depending on the distances and possibilites of additional water supply).

BC
Alexandra

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.5%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 155 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%