• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's getting really hot - Seville-Salamanca from May 29th 2019 onwards

Via2010

Time of past OR future Camino
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
Hi,
I will leave for Seville tomorrow. My walking companion is already in Seville now and has found the first markers round the corner of the cathedral.
We will start with the blessings of the pilgrims service on wednesday and hope to reach Salamanca within 3 weeks. I have some more days left, thus I may continue to Zamora.
I hope that it will not be too hot - we intend to start by dawn whenever possible and to avoid the maximum heat in the afternoon.
Please do not expect me to post in this forum while I am on the camino. I will be offline during my journey, focus only on the beautiful landscape, the villages and towns and of course the people I meet.
I hope I will meet some wonderful people, just as I did on my previous caminos.

BC
Alexandra

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Best of luck with the heat. I just walked that route. The biggest problem I found was that many of the stages have no place to stop for water so you end up carrying more than you normally would (plus I sweat profusely when walking so it was painful). That said, the remoteness of the area is pretty nice. Hopefully, the wildflowers will still be in bloom when you walk. They were absolutely magnificent a couple of weeks ago. Best of luck.

I finished walking the Portuguese Camino out of Porto two weeks ago. It was starting to get quite warm towards the end. I always prefer to border on being chilly, rather than warm or hot. I have far more energy to walk long distances when chilly, as opposed to having zilch energy in the heat...I don't know how the summer walkers can persevere so well!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,
I will leave for Seville tomorrow. My walking companion is already in Seville now and has found the first markers round the corner of the cathedral.
We will start with the blessings of the pilgrims service on wednesday and hope to reach Salamanca within 3 weeks. I have some more days left, thus I may continue to Zamora.
I hope that it will not be too hot - we intend to start by dawn whenever possible and to avoid the maximum heat in the afternoon.
Please do not expect me to post in this forum while I am on the camino. I will be offline during my journey, focus only on the beautiful landscape, the villages and towns and of course the people I meet.

BC
Alexandra
Hope you are good with the heat. I started from Seville toward the end of March and found some days very hot. Unfortunately had to stop after a week with severe blisters which were exacerbated by the heat. Starting again in October when I hope it will be cooler.

Please take care. I’ve read that a heat wave is on the way for Portugal and Spain up to 40C....way too hot for the VDLP in my opinion.
I am in Aljucen today where it is 36C. Hot! but walking here this morning from Merida was completely pleasant. Start early and stay hydrated!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

BC
Alexandra

I'm jealous !

Enjoy!

Buen camino, Alexandra. Enjoy the wonderful VdlP.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi,

BC
Alexandra
Buen camino!

Make sure you have a broad brimmed hat
Sunscreen and plenty of water.
Oh lordy it gets hot there

Please take care. I’ve read that a heat wave is on the way for Portugal and Spain up to 40C....way too hot for the VDLP in my opinion.

It’s already here! It’s been around 33 degrees Celsius in Lisbon every day since Wednesday, which is quite hot for Lisbon (thankfully it will be back to low-mid 20s by Tuesday). The inland areas in southern Spain can often be up to 10 degrees hotter than Lisbon so I don’t even want to know about it!

For those walking in this heatwave, please take care.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Start and finish early. Plus all the other advice posted for dealing with hot weather.

Hmmm you do know its summer. Lol 39 coca. But the breeze here is awesome. BC

Take one of Ivar's solar umbrellas. I lived under it last summer in Italy. I've not walked the VDLP but I wouldn't attempt it in the summer.

€83,-
Hi,

I am back now well - only with a few blisters. The heat was only a problem for me on the very first day. Leaving Seville after the pilgrim´s mass (at 9 in the morning) turned out too late for the full stretch to Guillena. It became really unpleasant by 2 o'clock in the afternoon. Being not accustomed to the high temperatures (37/38° C - compared to 17° C when I left Germany) then I had some problems. Fortunately some locals gave me a lift for the last 2 km to the albergue. Otherwise I would have had to wait in the shaddow until the temperatures went down again, which was only after 8 o'clock in the evening. I always carried plenty of water (2,5 - 3,5 litres, depending on the distances and possibilites of additional water supply).

BC
Alexandra

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?
Trail from Santiponce to Guillena is totally underwater. as was local road. Only option was highway that you can't walk on. Nice man gave us ride around for 15 euros.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back