• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's gonna stink!

wisepilgrim

Camino App Maker
Time of past OR future Camino
Many
From today's rag, the Dean of the Cathedral announced that for a few months next year the botafumeiro will not swing. Starting in February when the repairs to the Cathedral move to new areas, the belcher will stand still.

Without the incense to freshen things up, pilgrims should re-consider the option of bum-washing in Lavacolla.

On the bright side, this means that repairs and restorations are wrapping up in other parts, so that is progress.

From la voz: https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...afumeiro-varios-meses/0003_201709S18C1992.htm

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
And I thought lavacolla meant washing your neck?!!:p:p:p
Seriously will be lovely when the scaffolding is gone but I do understand the need to maintain the cathedral.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Frankly, I am surprised the town of Lavacolla has not changed it's name. But, the name is derived from the Latin "lavare" (to wash) and "colla" (private parts, rear)... The last half is colloquial, and derived over the centuries... Read on...

The sole, reasonably close definitions of "colla" in the Latin, Spanish and French dictionaries I consulted to write somewhat authoritatively about"what" one might be washing relates to the variations of the Latin, Spanish and French word "coller." Across languages and dictionaries, this noun refers to gluey, sticky 'stuff...' (use your imagination...) YUK! BTW and FYI, toilet tissue as such did not yet exist... EEEUW!

I defer to Camino historians out there to fill in this fuzzy, icky blank.

Anyway, back-in-the-day, the Rio Sionlla (at present day Lavacolla) was the final river to cross before entering the Holy City of Santiago de Compostela. There were other streams and creeks, but this was the sole, reliably flowing river.

Pilgrims adopted the practice of using this river as a final washing place to make themselves as presentable as they could, given the sanitary and hygienic conditions prevailing at that time.

After a final "wash," they proceeded onward, to present themselves at the Cathedral.

One note of miscellany, the Santiago Airport (SCQ) is located in Lavacolla.

I hope this helps, or at least amuses.

I hope this mean dealing with the sections of the ceiling in the apse that have peeling plaster, obviously the problem starts with the condition of the roof but in July 2017 it looked like they were on "top" of that.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wah, Aussies are not the only ones to think colla derives from neck washing https://caminoways.com/lavacolla. :p:p:p
Have to admit my little group of four, pretty typically, smelly, multicultural pilgrims decided to stay at a fantastic hotel (Ruta Jacobea) at the last minute at Lavacolla when we ran out of puff rather late on a rainy day. We were the only guests. Great deep baths with heaps of hot water. Lava-ering my colla was pretty high on the priority list. :p:p:p I'm sure my fellow participants at mass the next day appreciated my efforts!

Most read last week in this forum

I just completed the Camino Fracis. I got to the pilgrim office in time to get my compesela, and had a very positive experience there. I dedicated my camino to a close cousin who recently passed...
It's been 5 years since being in Santiago and my perceptions are stuck in a decade ago. But these days it's so much easier to find good vegetarian and vegan food here. Yesterday I had a wonderful...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back