• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Its hot

David Hobson

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese, Norte
I'm only two days into the Via de Plata and its hot, high 40s. A much delayed and altered Camino. ( I was intending to walk the Mozarabe from Malaga but as lots of accommodation closed, I'm here instead). Heading to Almaden de la Plata tomorrow. The longest day so far. 11 km more than today. Do I stay for breakfast or leave earlier? The last hours are reflective, no matter the distance, I find. Decide in the morning. No other Perigrinos so far.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
David, I was wondering, since you mentioned that you want to break VdlP into two large parts, and do 1st part now and 2nd in the spring of 2022, would you even consider walking the second part from Salamanca now, and leaving Sevilla - Salamanca for April next year? That would save you from those super-high temperatures in Andalusia and Extremadura now, as well as you could meet other pilgrims (very few if any walk from Sevilla in the summer). At the end of tomorrow's stage you will see a memorial to a pilgrim who died from heat and exhaustion just before Almaden on the Calvario hill (please try not to follow his steps). Tomorrow you can leave before 5 am, the first 16 km are on the road, just follow the white line on the left side of the road, you can easily do it in the moonlight.
Anyways, my personal choice would be to get on a bus to Salamanca now. I wouldn't enjoy Andalusia when temperatures in the sun are in 50s Celsius even if this Camino is one of my favorites. Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
I walked that long stage in normal early spring temps and I was exhausted by the time I arrived at Almaden. While I'm not a fan of walking in the dark, I would agree about setting out at 5 am in these temps, and as you follow the paved road for the first couple of hours or so, there's no danger of losing your way. The walk through the park is beautiful but the last bit uphill is a real slog (the memorial is halfway up the hill, a good place to catch your breath). As well as packing food for the day, I think you will need at least gallon of water for tomorrow! Electrolyte sachets would be useful to have in your pack too..

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walking this endless road SE-5405 for hours, I asked myself dozens of times when this torture would end. To save you asking yourself the same question, let me give you a tip: it won't end before you see the 4 km marker.
4 km marker.jpg
Soon after that, you will see the entrance to Berrocal Park on your right - you can't miss it. 1,5 km into the Park you will find The Pilgrim's Fountain (Fuente de Peregrino) - it is located next to the park rangers' office. If there were no water in the tap, I would knock on the door of their office and ask for some. I wouldn't continue if I didn't have enough water for the next 15 km. The only stream further on (where you could wet your hat and wash your face) will be probably dried up.

Safe Camino Peregrino!

I'm only two days into the Via de Plata and its hot, high 40s. A much delayed and altered Camino. ( I was intending to walk the Mozarabe from Malaga but as lots of accommodation closed, I'm here instead). Heading to Almaden de la Plata tomorrow. The longest day so far. 11 km more than today. Do I stay for breakfast or leave earlier? The last hours are reflective, no matter the distance, I find. Decide in the morning. No other Perigrinos so far.
I walked it in June (2015j and it was 36 deg. when we set off. It wasn’t pleasant, especially that stretch and in those days, I was still ok (ish) with heat! The trouble was, it didn’t really cool down much at night either…
I’d say, like an above comment, go to Salamanca! It’s still hot, but less intense…
Why suffer and put yourself at risk? only my humble opinion 😉

It is summer!
Already, in Malta , we have had days of 40+ exceptional but these are exceptional times of climate warming. Keep hydrated and safe.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wishing you a Buen Camino, lots of water, and some of your favorite kind of companions.

David, I was wondering, since you mentioned that you want to break VdlP into two large parts, and do 1st part now and 2nd in the spring of 2022, would you even consider walking the second part from Salamanca now, and leaving Sevilla - Salamanca for April next year? That would save you from those super-high temperatures in Andalusia and Extremadura now, as well as you could meet other pilgrims (very few if any walk from Sevilla in the summer). At the end of tomorrow's stage you will see a memorial to a pilgrim who died from heat and exhaustion just before Almaden on the Calvario hill (please try not to follow his steps). Tomorrow you can leave before 5 am, the first 16 km are on the road, just follow the white line on the left side of the road, you can easily do it in the moonlight.
Anyways, my personal choice would be to get on a bus to Salamanca now. I wouldn't enjoy Andalusia when temperatures in the sun are in 50s Celsius even if this Camino is one of my favorites. Buen Camino!
Thanks for the suggestion. I am seriously considering it. I am sleeping in the very nice, but again, empty private Albergue in El Real de la Jara, just phone the number on the door. It was 16c at 6am 28c at 11am when I arrived and 33c at 12 noon. So bearable. Lovely rolling hills farmland today, a surprise after the flat first few days.
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It was 16c at 6am 28c at 11am when I arrived and 33c at 12 noon.
Oh, if you walk between 6 and 11 am, you don't need to move up north temperature wise.

As for meeting other pilgrim(s), you increased a chance for that tenfold when you changed your starting point from Malaga to Seville. (unfortunately ten times zero is still zero...)
Mozarabe is a perfect Camino for a lone wolf. A chance to meet another pilgrim, let alone one who speaks English, is close to zero. Same goes for such uninhabited Caminos like Levante, Catalán or Camino de Madrid. But some people enjoy being alone. Nothing wrong with that.

Mañana you have a really nice Hotel Leo at the far end of Monesterio. Stayed there once. Nice air conditioned rooms. 37 euro, at least on a weekday.
(if I had to stay in my room from 11 am to 6 am next day because of the heat outside, I would pay a bit more for a nice room with AC. The hotel has a good restaurant as well, no need to go out)

Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I'm in Salamanca, Thanks to everyone for their suggestion to transfer. For next 2 weeks Salamanca is 7c less than Seville, every day. So far I have had to stay indoors after my walk has been completed, too hot. Hope that will change. I have to complement the schedule, accuracy and comfort of the Spanish bus services, I used ALSA. Everything perfect.

Hey amigo!

I couldn't sleep last night because I felt bad, I almost felt like I put peer pressure on you, and you modified your Camino, which feels almost like a criminal offence. You moved by bus to Salamanca, and maybe you missed some important people that you were supposed to meet in Extremadura, or some life changing experience. That feels bad.

Having said that, I decided that I will walk the part of the Camino which you missed, for you. You finished walking the Andalusian part of the Via de la Plata (in Real de la Jara), but you missed entire Extremadura which stretches almost to Salamanca. So in September I will fly to Seville and walk entire Extremadura as a gift to you and as an act of repentance. I'll go to Seville on 11 or 12 of September and find a way to get to Extremadura border (where you took a bus) and walk on foot from there to Salamanca. If anyone is starting from Seville on 11th or 12th and would like company, please send me a private message and I can also start from there, it's just 4 days more through Andalucia.

Anyways, David, I hope you feel happy in Salamanca and you have found a company which you probably missed on your first days. Buen Camino!

€60,-
Hey amigo!

I couldn't sleep last night because I felt bad, I almost felt like I put peer pressure on you, and you modified your Camino, which feels almost like a criminal offence. You moved by bus to Salamanca, and maybe you missed some important people that you were supposed to meet in Extremadura, or some life changing experience. That feels bad.

Having said that, I decided that I will walk the part of the Camino which you missed, for you. You finished walking the Andalusian part of the Via de la Plata (in Real de la Jara), but you missed entire Extremadura which stretches almost to Salamanca. So in September I will fly to Seville and walk entire Extremadura as a gift to you and as an act of repentance. I'll go to Seville on 11 or 12 of September and find a way to get to Extremadura border (where you took a bus) and walk on foot from there to Salamanca. If anyone is starting from Seville on 11th or 12th and would like company, please send me a private message and I can also start from there, it's just 4 days more through Andalucia.

Anyways, David, I hope you feel happy in Salamanca and you have found a company which you probably missed on your first days. Buen Camino!
But it is just as hot in September! 😄

Hey amigo!

Be happy! Life is full of divergent opportunities. Not to be over examined as something possibly missed, but see what is front of you. That's your only responsibility, react to what you experience. Breathe in!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.