A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Camino Forum Donation

Its legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow today!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
From The Big Book of British Laws
• Under the reign of Elizabeth I, any person found guilty of "harboring a Catholic priest" would be tortured or even hanged. Any priest of the Catholic faith that was caught would be hanged, drawn, and quartered.
• It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).
• Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).
• Mince pies can not be eaten on Christmas day. (Explanation: Ingredients of mince pies and plum puddings were pagan in origin, and their consumption part of ancient fertility rituals. The law dates from the Puritan era, the same time that dancing in church, maypoles, and holly and ivy decorations were outlawed. The laws were never officially repealed because upon the restoration of the monarchy, (in the form of Charles II) all laws formed under the protectorate were ignored as invalid.)
• The keeper of the Tower of London can levy a charge of sixpence on each English pilgrim visiting Compostela
• Placing a postage stamp that bears the Queen (or King) upside down is considered treason.
• In Chester, you can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.
• You may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close in Hereford.
• In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store.
• In York, excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

So - there you have it! Stay safe, obey the law and have a merry festive season!

andy.d

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
Why can't you shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow in York on a Sunday?

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I am interested in this one " The keeper of the Tower of London can levy a charge of sixpence on each English pilgrim visiting Compostela"
Is it still in effect?
I've written to the Law Society and their website claims that will reply all queries within 21 days. So, I'll let you know whether you have to pay a sixpence for visiting Compostela.

One more:
It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour

Caminando

Veteran Member
sillydoll said:
From The Big Book of British Laws
• Under the reign of Elizabeth I, any person found guilty of "harboring a Catholic priest" would be tortured or even hanged.
Which Elizabeth I is that? The one who died around 1603 or the current Elizabeth I?

I think we should be told...... :shock:

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Well, the law hasn't been repealed so you can take your pick!

I know in Canada we have different laws governing hunting with a bow and arrow as opposed to hunting with a rifle. I wonder if this is something similar in that it is considered more sporting to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow than a rifle? Or is it that if you see a Scotsman wandering around with a bow and arrow you are allowed to shoot him?

john

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
As long as its not on a Sunday!

Camino(s) past & future
Many, various, and continuing.
In general it is illegal to shoot a Scotsman with any kind of weapon.
Unless, of course, he is playing a bagpipe. In which case, any means available are just cause to stop the horrific racket and return the environs to their previous state of dignity and repose.
This goes double for gaiteros.
Reb. (Scott)

nellpilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
SDC-Fisterra 08/Camino Frances SJPP to SDC 09/Nuremburg-SDC 11- ongoing
Johnnie........... I'm ashamed and you a fellow Celt! :oops:
My father (a musical gentleman and piper) introduced novices to the beauty and subtlety of pipe music by letting them listen first to the softer, sweeter sound of the Ullieann pipes.
I grant you the harsher harmonics of the Scottish and Spanish pipes can sometimes present a challenge for, what I shall diplomatically refer to as, 'untutored' ears.
Nell Spillane

nellpilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
....Johnnie I'll be using a yellow flecha...in honor of your Camino contributions and don't worry I know a piper who'll 'play you out' in the proper order.....Lads fetch me my bow quick as you can now.
Nell :D

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
I heard that there is only one bagpipe song, that they just name it a lot of different names. Two if you count Amazing Grace.

nellpilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Well you're all talking a brave game now but later on this eve.... when you hear the sound of pipes approaching slowly in the distance....be afraid be very afraid! :lol:
Happy Christmas to one and all even pipe haters!
Nell

andy.d

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Levante 2009
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2011
Camino Ingles (Coruna) 2014
Pilgrims Way Winchester - Canterbury
Camino Ingles (Ferrol) 2015
Cistercian Way (Wales) 2016
Just wait twelve more days til the Eleventh Day of Christmas ....

The Crib has been blessed here at St Bede's; we are past the First Evening Prayer of Christmas, so it's time to wish everyone a good feast:

The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth. And
we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father's only son.

Happy Christmas!

Andy

Caminando

Veteran Member
JohnnieWalker said:
Definition of a good musician:

Someone who can play the bagpipes but chooses not to
JW you should be ashamed of yourself! - "Sic' a parcel o' rogues..."! :shock:

The pipes are a wonderful instrument - I think you have been influenced by Reb, who repeats her comments on the pipes. Not content with throwing our tea in the harbour, she returns to attack on a different front. Well I may commission a Galician piper to raise the cultural bar a little in Moratinos. :wink:

The pipes were normal even in England and all over Europe, till only discerning nations kept them. And as for any Englishman (or fellow traveller) with its wooden folk song tradition to criticise the pipes!!!
:roll:

:D

When I passed through the underpass to enter the cathedral square in Santiago there was a busker playing the pipes and they were echoing off the walls and ceiling of the underpass and it was haunting, beautiful and quite memorable.

Merry Christmas everyone!

john

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... -1/NEWSMAP

"Galicia likely had bagpipes before the Scots or the Irish. Every country in Europe has its indigenous bagpipes. Pipes came into Ireland and Scotland around 1200 A.D., but there are representations of bagpipes, such as in the form of reliefs, in Galician churches that date to the year 1000 A.D. There are hundreds of different bagpipes. They're quite different from each other in size, shape, volume and the kind of music that's played on them."

Camino(s) past & future
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
We must have had bagpipers in East Anglia (the big bump on east of England on the map) too because we have these two pew ends in our church, about 15 century I think. Note how one has two chanters (the pipes sticking out below with the holes in for playing the notes) and the other only one.

Pity about their heads!

Attachments

nellpilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I would love to be able to claim a Celtic origin for the pipes.... but in fact they are much older than any medieval representations. Archaeological and literary evidence suggests "that the Roman army introduced their bagpipe, the Tibia Utricularis, to the British Isles and other countries such as France, Spain, the Balkans etc. In England, it really caught on and several English variants of the Roman instrument came into being".
The evolution of the 'reeded pipe', and of the various bellows developed to drive the flow of air over the reed (from 'cheek only power', bellows driven by elbows to mechanical means), is an interesting one. So bag pipes, as first heard by many of our ancestors, were the instruments of 'Empire' and they are also the much older musical 'cousins' of the stately organ (which is about as posh an instrument as you can get)
Nell

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Nell - those peipers look as though they lost their heads? Not shot with a cross bow or an arrow, beheaded instead. They must've been really bad pipers!

Camino(s) past & future
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
sillydoll said:
those pipers look as though they lost their heads? Not shot with a cross bow or an arrow, beheaded instead. They must've been really bad pipers!
It's interesting that the trumpeter has kept his head. Although he has lost his right arm and shoulder - see below.
The prejudice against bagpipes seems of long standing!

Attachments

nellpilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi Sil or maybe they were good pipers 'martyred' for their cause by wicked pipeophobes?
Throughout the history of the church 'sanitation exercercises' periodically removed evidence of earlier/earthier church practice by those, laity or cleargy, who found such activities inappropriate so our pipers could be victims of East Anglian iconoclasts?......or maybe its just the woodworm! :lol:
Nell

Camino(s) past & future
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Dear Sil and Nell

I don't think our pipers actually lost their heads because of iconoclasm or 'bag-pipe-ism' - or if it was iconoclasm it was rather half-hearted! I think that it is just wear and tear - yes, woodworm, but probably more centuries of hands holding on a people sit down on the pews ( as we still do today) and hanging their coats and hats on the figures (as we still do today) and generally using the church!
It amazes me how I go elsewhere and look at things in museums or specially restored and promoted to tourists foreign cathedrals, when all the time I have such ancient and endearing objects under my nose every Sunday!

This one is better but you can see how her face has been smoothed by passing hands-

and this one is worse -

love

Bridget

Attachments

nellpilgrim

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hello Bridget and Peter,
Your pew figures are wonderful thank you for sharing them with us.
I'm am especially glad that the woodworm hasn't got to the Rubenesque little angel-who's so lovely. I was wondering, with such sculptural attractions on offer, is there a rush for favorite pews on a Sunday-I could well understand it if there is -I'd be tempted to leg it down the aisle and 'bags' the Angel pew myself!
Nell

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
Caminofácil Miscellaneous Topics 55
Robo Miscellaneous Topics 43

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%