• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Its legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow today!

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
From The Big Book of British Laws
• Under the reign of Elizabeth I, any person found guilty of "harboring a Catholic priest" would be tortured or even hanged. Any priest of the Catholic faith that was caught would be hanged, drawn, and quartered.
• It is illegal to be drunk on Licensed Premises (in a pub or bar).
• Any person found breaking a boiled egg at the sharp end will be sentenced to 24 hours in the village stocks (enacted by Edward VI).
• Mince pies can not be eaten on Christmas day. (Explanation: Ingredients of mince pies and plum puddings were pagan in origin, and their consumption part of ancient fertility rituals. The law dates from the Puritan era, the same time that dancing in church, maypoles, and holly and ivy decorations were outlawed. The laws were never officially repealed because upon the restoration of the monarchy, (in the form of Charles II) all laws formed under the protectorate were ignored as invalid.)
• The keeper of the Tower of London can levy a charge of sixpence on each English pilgrim visiting Compostela
• Placing a postage stamp that bears the Queen (or King) upside down is considered treason.
• In Chester, you can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.
• You may not shoot a Welsh person on Sunday with a longbow in the Cathedral Close in Hereford.
• In Liverpool, it is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store.
• In York, excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

So - there you have it! Stay safe, obey the law and have a merry festive season!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why can't you shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow in York on a Sunday?

I am interested in this one " The keeper of the Tower of London can levy a charge of sixpence on each English pilgrim visiting Compostela"
Is it still in effect?
I've written to the Law Society and their website claims that will reply all queries within 21 days. So, I'll let you know whether you have to pay a sixpence for visiting Compostela.

One more:
It is illegal for a Member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
sillydoll said:
• Under the reign of Elizabeth I, any person found guilty of "harboring a Catholic priest" would be tortured or even hanged.

Which Elizabeth I is that? The one who died around 1603 or the current Elizabeth I?

I think we should be told...... :shock:

Well, the law hasn't been repealed so you can take your pick!

I know in Canada we have different laws governing hunting with a bow and arrow as opposed to hunting with a rifle. I wonder if this is something similar in that it is considered more sporting to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow than a rifle? Or is it that if you see a Scotsman wandering around with a bow and arrow you are allowed to shoot him?

john

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As long as its not on a Sunday!

In general it is illegal to shoot a Scotsman with any kind of weapon.
Unless, of course, he is playing a bagpipe. In which case, any means available are just cause to stop the horrific racket and return the environs to their previous state of dignity and repose.
This goes double for gaiteros.
Reb. (Scott)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Johnnie........... I'm ashamed and you a fellow Celt! :oops:
My father (a musical gentleman and piper) introduced novices to the beauty and subtlety of pipe music by letting them listen first to the softer, sweeter sound of the Ullieann pipes.
I grant you the harsher harmonics of the Scottish and Spanish pipes can sometimes present a challenge for, what I shall diplomatically refer to as, 'untutored' ears.
Nell Spillane

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
....Johnnie I'll be using a yellow flecha...in honor of your Camino contributions and don't worry I know a piper who'll 'play you out' in the proper order.....Lads fetch me my bow quick as you can now.
Nell :D

I heard that there is only one bagpipe song, that they just name it a lot of different names. Two if you count Amazing Grace.

Well you're all talking a brave game now but later on this eve.... when you hear the sound of pipes approaching slowly in the distance....be afraid be very afraid! :lol:
Happy Christmas to one and all even pipe haters!
Nell

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just wait twelve more days til the Eleventh Day of Christmas ....

The Crib has been blessed here at St Bede's; we are past the First Evening Prayer of Christmas, so it's time to wish everyone a good feast:

The Word became flesh and dwelt among us, full of grace and truth. And
we have seen his glory, the glory as of a father's only son.

Happy Christmas!

Andy

JohnnieWalker said:
Definition of a good musician:

Someone who can play the bagpipes but chooses not to

JW you should be ashamed of yourself! - "Sic' a parcel o' rogues..."! :shock:

The pipes are a wonderful instrument - I think you have been influenced by Reb, who repeats her comments on the pipes. Not content with throwing our tea in the harbour, she returns to attack on a different front. Well I may commission a Galician piper to raise the cultural bar a little in Moratinos. :wink:

The pipes were normal even in England and all over Europe, till only discerning nations kept them. And as for any Englishman (or fellow traveller) with its wooden folk song tradition to criticise the pipes!!!
:roll:

:D

When I passed through the underpass to enter the cathedral square in Santiago there was a busker playing the pipes and they were echoing off the walls and ceiling of the underpass and it was haunting, beautiful and quite memorable.

Merry Christmas everyone!

john

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... -1/NEWSMAP

"Galicia likely had bagpipes before the Scots or the Irish. Every country in Europe has its indigenous bagpipes. Pipes came into Ireland and Scotland around 1200 A.D., but there are representations of bagpipes, such as in the form of reliefs, in Galician churches that date to the year 1000 A.D. There are hundreds of different bagpipes. They're quite different from each other in size, shape, volume and the kind of music that's played on them."

We must have had bagpipers in East Anglia (the big bump on east of England on the map) too because we have these two pew ends in our church, about 15 century I think. Note how one has two chanters (the pipes sticking out below with the holes in for playing the notes) and the other only one.

Pity about their heads!

Attachments

• DSCF0171 small.JPG
    DSCF0171 small.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 3,342
  • DSCF0174 small.JPG
    DSCF0174 small.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 3,351
I would love to be able to claim a Celtic origin for the pipes.... but in fact they are much older than any medieval representations. Archaeological and literary evidence suggests "that the Roman army introduced their bagpipe, the Tibia Utricularis, to the British Isles and other countries such as France, Spain, the Balkans etc. In England, it really caught on and several English variants of the Roman instrument came into being".
The evolution of the 'reeded pipe', and of the various bellows developed to drive the flow of air over the reed (from 'cheek only power', bellows driven by elbows to mechanical means), is an interesting one. So bag pipes, as first heard by many of our ancestors, were the instruments of 'Empire' and they are also the much older musical 'cousins' of the stately organ (which is about as posh an instrument as you can get)
Nell

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nell - those peipers look as though they lost their heads? Not shot with a cross bow or an arrow, beheaded instead. They must've been really bad pipers!

sillydoll said:
those pipers look as though they lost their heads? Not shot with a cross bow or an arrow, beheaded instead. They must've been really bad pipers!

It's interesting that the trumpeter has kept his head. Although he has lost his right arm and shoulder - see below.
The prejudice against bagpipes seems of long standing!

Attachments

• DSCF0177small.JPG
    DSCF0177small.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 2,394
Hi Sil or maybe they were good pipers 'martyred' for their cause by wicked pipeophobes?
Throughout the history of the church 'sanitation exercercises' periodically removed evidence of earlier/earthier church practice by those, laity or cleargy, who found such activities inappropriate so our pipers could be victims of East Anglian iconoclasts?......or maybe its just the woodworm! :lol:
Nell

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear Sil and Nell

I don't think our pipers actually lost their heads because of iconoclasm or 'bag-pipe-ism' - or if it was iconoclasm it was rather half-hearted! I think that it is just wear and tear - yes, woodworm, but probably more centuries of hands holding on a people sit down on the pews ( as we still do today) and hanging their coats and hats on the figures (as we still do today) and generally using the church!
It amazes me how I go elsewhere and look at things in museums or specially restored and promoted to tourists foreign cathedrals, when all the time I have such ancient and endearing objects under my nose every Sunday!

This one is better but you can see how her face has been smoothed by passing hands-

and this one is worse -

love

Bridget

Attachments

• DSCF0215small.JPG
    DSCF0215small.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 2,369
  • DSCF0207small.JPG
    DSCF0207small.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 2,360
Hello Bridget and Peter,
Your pew figures are wonderful thank you for sharing them with us.
I'm am especially glad that the woodworm hasn't got to the Rubenesque little angel-who's so lovely. I was wondering, with such sculptural attractions on offer, is there a rush for favorite pews on a Sunday-I could well understand it if there is -I'd be tempted to leg it down the aisle and 'bags' the Angel pew myself!
Nell

And in France things are even worse.

I crossed the pyrenees during hunting season.
Pigeons I thought, untill I encountered this sign :wink:

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo

Attachments

• hunting season small.jpg
    hunting season small.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 2,265
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Why can't you shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow in York on a Sunday?

- because that would cause you to swear, when he just got up and went on his way...
and that is ungodly on a Sunday !!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am interested in this one " The keeper of the Tower of London can levy a charge of sixpence on each English pilgrim visiting Compostela"
Is it still in effect?

Did we ever resolve this issue? Of far more importance than most of the rubbish in the fake-news media!

Pax!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I read somewhere that it is/it was also capital punishment for stealing turnips or something… I think these people need to get their priorities straight... XOD

No doubt this thread popped up in 'older threads on this topic' after someone looked at the thread about walking the camino alone being illegal.

I suppose it's pointless to answer the question after all this time ... that there is only one Elizabeth I. The current queen is Elizabeth II.

So ... about 4,000 UK citzens walked in 2013 ... sixpence is worth approximately 50 cents or 29 pence ... so $2,000 US or £1,160 was due to the Keeper of the Tower by her citizens. Did he use to maintain an officious clerk who scurried around the ports looking for pilgrims? Did pilgrims need a pass issued by him to board?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
After nearly a decade of resting in peace someone chooses to resurrect this thread? Some things are best left alone.

I plead totally guilty to that one !!
I broke the seal of the grave...
- On a rainy day, out of Ivars selection of old threads beneath on the bottom of the page, this caught my eye...!

Why this suspicious leniency on shooting Scots ? But not on a Sunday ?? And why only in York ???

I go for the esoteric content in threads, though I still wait in vain for a question like; "Can I walk the Camino in a wet suit and goggles and will air tanks be allowed in the Cathedral ??"

@Stivandrer Did you pick that last idea at random or have you already heard of the Camino de Santiagua? :cool:
images.jpeg

PS. As someone with a vested interest in the issue I'd much rather people mucked about in wetsuits rather than taking potshots at Scotsmen anytime or anyplace.... ;)

Last edited:

• In Chester, you can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight.

So - there you have it! Stay safe, obey the law and have a merry festive season!
I believe the Chester Law is actually " Any Welsh person found within the city walls after closure/curfew will be hanged" It has never been repealed.
My favorite military laws were:
1) It is a court martial offense to kill someone with a rusty bayonet.
2) Anyone committing suicide will be shot

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In general it is illegal to shoot a Scotsman with any kind of weapon.
Unless, of course, he is playing a bagpipe. In which case, any means available are just cause to stop the horrific racket and return the environs to their previous state of dignity and repose.
This goes double for gaiteros.
Reb. (Scott)
The Germans on D Day did not shoot Lord Lovat's piper because they thought he was mad. Even in times of war people can be forgiving.

OK Sil, clearly you're losing it. You need to be back on Camino ASAP obviously. Either you are drinking too much or too little whisky - I think you need to adjust your intake :)
Hi Cousin John do you know where I could get a Bow and Arrow next week in Santiago. It would need to be a powerful one that could penetrate very thick skin.

I suppose it's pointless to answer the question after all this time ... that there is only one Elizabeth I. The current queen is Elizabeth II.
Not true, although I should probably leave it to @JohnnieWalker as I'm (just) from the civilisation side of Hadrian's Wall, but there has never been a previous Queen Elizabeth of Scotland, so the Scots justifiably ask themselves how the present Queen can call herself the Second. Previously James I of England was VI of Scotland and known as James the 1st and 6th, and many Scots feel Elizabeth should more correctly be called be 2nd and 1st.

I live just outside Carlisle, and I am legally entitled to kill any Scotsman found within the city walls after sunset. I probably won't, just in case my son happens to be late leaving town one night.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Lots of town ordinances are pretty stupid but often come about from some influenencial cranky citizen who might, for example, have a noise complaint that the town council would rather ignore. So town councilors pass a bylaw so detailed that noone would ever likely break it but it is enough to keep the crank happy.

Not true, although I should probably leave it to @JohnnieWalker as I'm (just) from the civilisation side of Hadrian's Wall, but there has never been a previous Queen Elizabeth of Scotland, so the Scots justifiably ask themselves how the present Queen can call herself the Second. Previously James I of England was VI of Scotland and known as James the 1st and 6th, and many Scots feel Elizabeth should more correctly be called be 2nd and 1st.
True enough. The current Elizabeth is also the first of Canada, but we don't really care that much. The pond is wide.

I'm half Scots, will I be safe in York?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back