• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sometimes its been on my back weighing me down and then on my head making it hard to concentrate but sometimes its been like a very light balloon lifting me up and carrying me along, so I suppose its not a load.

Buen camino Peregrinos

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This is so true. My frame of mind has everything to do with how I feel as I walk. In 2007 I climbed to the Tiger's Nest in Bhutan, a Tibetan Buddhist monastery perched on the side of a massive cliff. My daughter had just been diagnosed with a life threatening illness. As I was climbing, I felt as though my heart were being twisted in my chest. I could barely put one foot in front of the other -- I was physically in agony, and I did not recognize that really I was in emotional agony as well. At the monastery I had a chance to meet with the head lama. In telling my story to him I realized some essential truths about my life situation, and some of my burden was lifted. My walk down was lighter. People I passed coming up the trail were patterns of light on my retinas and their faces were washed out. I still felt some of that dread within me, but at least I knew one person fully understood what I was going through. The next day I was back to walking normally.

Physically and figuratively, yes. We all know it is easier to carry physical weight held close to our center of gravity. Likewise, it is easier to carry non-physical burdens when we, ourselves, are centered (or have a sense of balance).

At the same time, we all know it is easier to move forward -- and especially uphill or to cross hurdles -- if we carry less physical weight.

Somewhere between Pamplona and Puenta la Reina, it occurred to me the same principal applies to emotional and spiritual baggage, too. Since then I have shed many concerns, worries, and elective responsibilities, and those I still carry I hold closer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I want to agree but I have also seen people warped by childhood abuse who just cannot change who they have become. I do know that what doesn't kill you doesn't make you stronger.

Self discovery can be painful.

Ooh this is a complex subject. I have had long and detailed discussions with pilgrims that I met and that I do think approached something useful but the work was hard. It is one of the wonders of the journey, a ten day gentle chat with personal reflection can loosen up some knotty problems.

My consultations cost the odd beer. Real value in today's world! :)

In my humble experience, Attitude determines Outcome.
any burden can be made lighter in finding the cause of the oppressiveness, and while not letting go, at least acknowledging that it is a problem.
letting go, can be the hardest of actions for me, and on any journey i went on, i found the physical aspect of it always outweighed the mental, and the weight got lighter in proportion to the arduousness.

I think the physical burden is determined by the mental preparedness,and openness to suffer. Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional, someone once said..some were born into pain, some fall into it, and some,sadly decide they must burden their lives to it.

I hope The Camino for everyone, is a place to take up A burden.. but then to. Lay down some burden on the way
Peaceful Journey to you all.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.