• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

It's the Vezelay route!

Bridget and Peter

Time of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
Decision is made, partly thanks to Kiwinomad's excellent journal on Le Puy which shows it deserves a separate expedition all to itself (and probably by foot).

It will be the Vezelay route all the way. Departure date is 4 weeks away tomorrow. Eurostar and TGV booked to Reims, including the bikes. The maps, guide books and french dictionary are cluttering up the sofa and I'm taking them up to bed as well for late night consideration.

Some questions, especially at the moment on the route pre- Vezelay, which someone just might have a opinion on...although I know it's a long shot.

Is Troyes a city not to be missed? If so what should we see there?

Does any one know anything about the 'piste cyclable' which is marked on the map along the west banks of the Lakes in the Foret d'Orient national park?

And of Auxerre, Tonnere and Avallon - which of them should we plan to go through? And why?

Any other tips?

many thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi,

Are you following the Gr 654 most of the time?

Bridget and Peter said:
Is Troyes a city not to be missed? If so what should we see there?

Spend there only one night so I cannot say something about it. Was not impressed.

Bridget and Peter said:
Does any one know anything about the 'piste cyclable' which is marked on the map along the west banks of the Lakes in the Foret d'Orient national park?

Yes there are some more good routes for bikers there: I always used them for my skeelering. Take a look at: http://voiescyclables.free.fr/documents/AubeVelovoie.pdf
There's also one near the Lac du Der, that's near the route GR654.

Bridget and Peter said:
And of Auxerre, Tonnere and Avallon - which of them should we plan to go through? And why?

Auxerre is a very great city which i did avoid when I walked that part of the route. there's a nice cathedral...that's all I know!
Tonnere is a lovely place with a great fosse and an old hospital: if you can ...stay there and maybe it is an option to use the camping in Tonnerre where you can hire a litlle wooden cottage on the camping-site for one night (about €50). Friendly people!
Avallon is great but a bit touristic: I live some 15km south of Avallon.

Good luck and Buen Camino
Paul

Thanks, Paulus, for your helpful comments.

We have a guide for the GR 654 so it is a good source of information, especially about accommodation (we're intending to camp quite a bit). But obviously there are bits which won't be suitable for the bikes, and also it doesn't seem to ever take a direct route when there's a a longer alternative!

I toyed with the idea of ignoring the GR654 entirely and leaving Reims in the direction of Epernay but the possibilities of following river/canal (less ups and downs) changed my mind and then the Lac d'Orient looked a lovely route. The GR654 doesn't do Troyes, nor Avallon, but does do Tonnere and Auxerre - making a sharp turn to the west after Tonnere which seems unnecessary.

Sounds like Tonnere would be a good place for an overnight, and Avallon better for a brief stop on the way through?

Yes there are some more good routes for bikers there: I always used them for my skeelering.

What IS skeelering?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bridget and Peter said:
What IS skeelering?

I believe you call it inline speedskating:
Bit off-topic but here's my equipment:
powerslide_r2.jpg

Back to the route:
After Tonnerre you can follow the road to Chablis (GREAT withe wine there and also a fine camping just before Chablis at your left) and than go southwest to (I think) Irancy , Cravant and/or Vermenton. (You do not come in Auxerre in this way.)
There you can follow the national route or the walkers path at the other side of the river Cure. You are then near Vezelay: it's cathedral is a must!
You are right that you do not come along Avallon: it's a bit east of Vezelay (16 km I guess) and youre route goes direction Corbigny and Nevers and that's south-west.

Pleasure to give the info!
Paul

Paulus said:
Bridget and Peter said:
What IS skeelering?

I believe you call it inline speedskating:
Bit off-topic but here's my equipment:
powerslide_r2.jpg

Wow!!
Respect!!

Paulus said:
After Tonnerre you can follow the road to Chablis (GREAT withe wine there and also a fine camping just before Chablis at your left) and than go southwest to (I think) Irancy , Cravant and/or Vermenton. (You do not come in Auxerre in this way.)
There you can follow the national route or the walkers path at the other side of the river Cure. You are then near Vezelay: it's cathedral is a must!

I've looked at that route on the IGN 1:100,000 map - the contour lines are very close together in places! Another possibility that looks possible is going south from Tonnerre through Ste Vertu and Nitry, across the autoroute, and through Joux-la-Ville and Precy-le-sec to reach the Cure at Voutenay-sur-cure. This misses Chablis, I know , but presumably we can buy the wine elsewhere! Can't carry a lot on the bikes, unfortunately. Or, south from Chablis and over the motorway to R Cure also looks possible?

Can you also tell us how much we are likely to pay for a night in a Municipal camping site, for two of us and one lightweight tent. We tend to avoid more glamorous sites with clubs and swimming pools etc. Are we right in assuming the municipal ones are likely to be more basic and cheap? We have never camped in France before.

thanks again

In 2006 in the Loire area, I mostly only paid about 5 Euros a night for one person with a bicycle in a municipal camping ground, so it was very cheap! But, even the fancy ones with pools etc sometimes had a 'special rate' for cyclists, who usually only take up so little ground with a small tent, and so they often never cost much more.
Margaret

A selection of Camino Jewellery
KiwiNomad06 said:
In 2006 in the Loire area, I mostly only paid about 5 Euros a night for one person with a bicycle in a municipal camping ground, so it was very cheap!
Margaret

That's a relief, especially as I have just ordered TWO books on medieval architecture from Amazon (other online book stores are available). I was thinking in terms of not actually taking them on the trip, but on second thoughts, a heavy (in literary terms, rather than weight) but relevant read is good for travelling because you have to read slower. Last year I read Pilgrimage by Jonathan Sumption which was a history of pilgrimage. And a novel I found in a hostel that I read in one gulp in one evening!

Bridget and Peter said:
Are we right in assuming the municipal ones are likely to be more basic and cheap? We have never camped in France before.

yes, that's correct. Most prices are between 10-15 Euro's for 2 persons+tent and sometimes less.

Bridget and Peter said:
[I've looked at that route on the IGN 1:100,000 map - the contour lines are very close together in places! Another possibility that looks possible is going south from Tonnerre through Ste Vertu and Nitry, across the autoroute, and through Joux-la-Ville and Precy-le-sec to reach the Cure at Voutenay-sur-cure. This misses Chablis, I know , but presumably we can buy the wine elsewhere! Can't carry a lot on the bikes, unfortunately. Or, south from Chablis and over the motorway to R Cure also looks possible?
thanks again

yes, i remember Nitry is a good option and afterwards to Voutenay. No problem! The wine can be bought in a supermarket also!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back