• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Ivar's Covid bulletin

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
VdlP(2012) Madrid(2014)Frances(2015) VdlP(2016)
VdlP(2017)Madrid/Sanabres/Frances reverse(2018)
I've just watched Ivar's very optimistic report about conditions in Spain. I can't help but contrast the situation in Spain with the state of things here in Australia, where state governments are locking down cities or whole states. Meanwhile we are not allowed to travel abroad. The rates for full vaccination in Spain are spectacular, often in the high 70's. Contrast that with the national figure of 24% here in Australia.

Edited by Moderator to remove political content.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Being from Canada, with cases somewhere in the middle, as much as I would love to be Camino-ing right now, I can’t justify going to a country with triple the number of cases per population. Stay home, stay safe. The Camino will still be there. In the meantime I hope your vaccination rates click up, as they are bound to do as cases increase.

Edited by Moderator to remove referenced and political content.

One of these days we are going to *have to* stop counting infections as “cases”, and *only* count symptomatic disease expression.

(Section edited by Moderator to remove medical information. Members, we cannot peer review medical information so it will be removed.)

I do hope that vaccine certificates for travel will become standardized as they have been for things like smallpox, yellow fever, cholera and so on. Right now the paperwork is haphazard and can appear very capricious; it does not have to be that way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Being from Canada, with cases somewhere in the middle, as much as I would love to be Camino-ing right now, I can’t justify going to a country with triple the number of cases per population. Stay home, stay safe. The Camino will still be there. In the meantime I hope your vaccination rates click up, as they are bound to do as cases increase.

Edited by Moderator to remove referenced and political content.
We are also in Canada and sadly decided to stay home this year. Instead we are walking the Camino For Good Virtual Camino for the third time this year, starting on January 15th. You record distances you walk at home onto the app and learn about your location on the Camino Frances map. At the same time you meet people from around the world who are doing the same thing and see where they are actually walking. Here is an example of how our “Stay-at home” Camino from St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos has gone: https://throughourlookingglass.ca/index.php/2021/02/17/virtual-camino-part-1/

Last edited:
One of these days we are going to *have to* stop counting infections as “cases”, and *only* count symptomatic disease expression.
Edited by moderator to remove medical information. Members we cannot peer review medical information so it will be removed.
I do hope that vaccine certificates for travel will become standardized as they have been for things like smallpox, yellow fever, cholera and so on. Right now the paperwork is haphazard and can appear very capricious; it does not have to be that way.
I agree Faye. Bravo!

Curious, not contrarian..... I've been traveling (US citizen) internationally since 1964, and to the best of my recollection have never ever been asked about smallpox, yellow fever or cholera.

Pax.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
to the best of my recollection have never ever been asked about smallpox, yellow fever or cholera.
Smallpox is now eradicated, so it is not an issue. I am aware that at one point 2019, proof of yellow fever vaccination was being checked for certain crossings into/out of Brazil. The enforcement probably depends on the extent of the disease in the particular area, at the particular time.

We are also in Canada and sadly decided to stay home this year. Instead we are walking the Camino For Good Virtual Camino for the third time this year, starting on January 15th. You record distances you walk at home onto the app and learn about your location on the Camino Frances map. At the same time you meet people from around the world who are doing the same thing and see where they are actually walking. Here is an example of how our “Stay-at home” Camino from St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos has gone: https://throughourlookingglass.ca/index.php/2021/02/17/virtual-camino-part-1/
Doing something similar here... I am about 500 km into the "Virtual On To Ottawa" trek.... a virtual stage from Vancouver to Regina commemorating the workers' solidarity trek of 1935 to Ottawa. I don't think anyone can sign up at this point. We began in June and have until December to complete the journey. I have about 1300 km to go by the end of December. Proceeds to the workers' history museum IIRC. https://virtualontoottawa.ca

Curious, not contrarian..... I've been traveling (US citizen) internationally since 1964, and to the best of my recollection have never ever been asked about smallpox, yellow fever or cholera.

Pax.
Your mileage may vary, but until smallpox was eradicated(spring 1980), travel to some destinations required proof of vaccination. TO this day, colleagues doing fieldwork in Latin America, Sub Saharan Africa and parts of Asia have to show proof of vaccination (and preventive treatment when that's the only "Hail Mary" we have) for things like yellow fever, cholera, malaria, DPTP, etc. The anti-malarial can cause psychosis for some people so there's a real assessment that has to happen as far as that goes. And a colleague had a horrible adverse reaction fairly recently to her cholera vaccine. But we accept these as requirements for working in areas of specialization.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My international travels began in1959, and have continued until two years ago - on and off. As an independent traveller and employee for international development organizations, my WHO document was checked often for Cholera, Yellow Fever. and Smallpox - but not so much in the past 20 years... My Covid vaccines are the latest addition to my WHO cards. ;)
Travel safely, everyone!

Pax.
Traveling to Asia annd the Indian subcontinent, uses to require all sorts of vaccinations (gamma globuli, smallpox etc…),which were recorded on a yellow fold out card. I think probably a relic of a bygone era

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Pax.
I still have my little yellow WHO booklet, issued to me in 1959. I can assure you that for Australians it was essential. Certainly through the 1960s and at least early 70s. I am not sure when that stopped.

Pax.
I think you have missed the point

Doing something similar here... I am about 500 km into the "Virtual On To Ottawa" trek.... a virtual stage from Vancouver to Regina commemorating the workers' solidarity trek of 1935 to Ottawa. I don't think anyone can sign up at this point. We began in June and have until December to complete the journey. I have about 1300 km to go by the end of December. Proceeds to the workers' history museum IIRC. https://virtualontoottawa.ca
Bravo! As a fellow Canadian I am cheering you on from the sidelines.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes! I have been doing the same on walking4fun.com which is good for me to get out some frustrations. Still hoping for autumn actual arrival....

I've just watched Ivar's very optimistic report about conditions in Spain. I can't help but contrast the situation in Spain with the state of things here in Australia, where state governments are locking down cities or whole states. Meanwhile we are not allowed to travel abroad. The rates for full vaccination in Spain are spectacular, often in the high 70's. Contrast that with the national figure of 24% here in Australia.

Wow we in Canada have at least 75% national fully vaccinated eligible population (few true anti-vaxers vs our American neighbours) but well aware that we will only attain 90% at the most given those <12 are not (yet) eligible. Hoping to escape to Lisbon from Montreal oct 6th. Can’t do another winter locked in Ottawa.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have been walking virtual treks as well in the last year, both home here in WV, and on caminos. I have walked around the perimeter of my state, I walked the Camino Frances, and am now on my way back to SDC from Finisterre and Muxia. I have used these virtual walks to motivate me daily to keep walking and staying in shape until my next actual camino. I will have to find another virtual as we have now decided that rather than Autumn 2021 we should wait until 2022. So sad... 😢

Wow, wow I have loved reading your journey. what a fabulous story & picture book. Wondering is this something I can do?

I still have my little yellow WHO booklet, issued to me in 1959. I can assure you that for Australians it was essential. Certainly through the 1960s and at least early 70s. I am not sure when that stopped.
When I was working for Australian Customs (retired 6 years ago) it was a requirement for all travellers who had been in certain parts of South America and Africa to have been vaccinated against Yellow Fever before entering Australia. If not vaccinated they were interviewed by Quarantine officers who made a call regarding referral to doctors. Other vaccinations like Tetanus, Cholera and Typhoid were recommended for certain travel but not compulsory.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When I was working for Australian Customs (retired 6 years ago) it was a requirement for all travellers who had been in certain parts of South America and Africa to have been vaccinated against Yellow Fever before entering Australia. If not vaccinated they were interviewed by Quarantine officers who made a call regarding referral to doctors. Other vaccinations like Tetanus, Cholera and Typhoid were recommended for certain travel but not compulsory.
That makes sense. We went to South America in 1959, and travelled between Australia and South America multiple times over the next ten years. I hasten to add I was a very, very, young child....

I suppose it was that experience that makes me hopeful about travelling again. My parents knew that we would encounter Yellow Fever, Tetanus, Cholera, Typhoid, Smallpox, Polio, Tuberculosis, and other severe illnesses. We seemed to have a lot of injections - I think some were three dose shots. But we all survived the ten years unscathed. Dettol, the antiseptic, was another thing that loomed large in my memory. My mother carried it everywhere.

Yes! I have been doing the same on walking4fun.com which is good for me to get out some frustrations. Still hoping for autumn actual arrival....
Walking4fun good as has both CF and CP central and coastal
Also Camino for Good - you pay but most of the proceeds are to help albergues and has some nice Zooms

I'm a fully vaccinated Australian living in rural Victoria. Our state has been in lock down for over 220 days since March 2020. We currently have locked borders between australian states so travel within the country is almost non existent. Also we are not allowed to leave the country without an exemption from Australian Border Force. There are rules regarding exemptions yet it is apparent that if you are a movie star, elite sportsperson or uber rich you are granted special quarantine privileges entering Australia & can leave whenever you want.
We normal folk are at the mercy of whichever beurocrat looks at our application to leave the island. Trapped we are.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Status
Not open for further replies.