• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ivar's Staff members & Members

Time of past OR future Camino
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
I've participated on this forum for nearly a year and enjoy navigating around the various topics. I appreciate the staff and moderators very much for their expertise in answering pilgrim related questions with good facts and information about many of the routes. They are also very professional and level headed in their approach to disputes between members and often step in to avoid them escalating, as well. Their time and service to Ivar and us are invaluable.

I also appreciate the input of the various regular members, as well. We are a varied bunch, as differing in our opinions as the shoes we wear while walking. We are often (though not exclusively) more emotionally driven in the help we offer and opinions we give; as in "this works for me, it may work for you" so to speak.

Of course, the above observations are just my own personal (emotionally driven;) ) opinions, and of course the two do share some characteristics of each other. I truly "feel"...;) that both types of input are important and have contributed to the ongoing success of this forum.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Having the opportunity to meet other forum members on the camino, seating down with them on the same table, having cena de peregrino together, staying in the same albergue, and then hitting the trail at the same time in the morning, for me that was priceless. To all caminantes, que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Chris, you’ve put into words what many of us are thinking. Ivar, the staff, the mods (above all the mods because we don’t always make their job easy;):p), the posters from vets to newbies (I have a soft spot for the newbies) and also the lurkers - there is a place for everyone and we are all in this together. I value everyone’s input. Sometimes you might need cojones to keep walking this virtual camino and sometimes I think that folk like me might irritate the real vets who have walked many caminos for many years but what’s life without a bit of spice and variety?
Buen camino a todos.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Chris, you’ve put into words what many of us are thinking. Ivar, the staff, the mods (above all the mods because we don’t always make their job easy;):p), the posters from vets to newbies (I have a soft spot for the newbies) and also the lurkers - there is a place for everyone and we are all in this together. I value everyone’s input. Sometimes you might need cojones to keep walking this virtual camino and sometimes I think that folk like me might irritate the real vets who have walked many caminos for many years but what’s life without a bit of spice and variety?
Buen camino a todos.
I love the thoughts you've added, Heda. All so true! :)

Well said, and I'll add my thanks as well. I have learned so much on this forum and enjoyed so much in the process. And always (well, most always :p) in a friendly, respectful format.

Hats off to the moderators, who I think do an extremely good job of walking the fine line of keeping the (sometimes quite heated!) discussions open and reining in the out-of-control.

And of course, special thanks to Ivar for getting it going and making it all possible.

Great job all around.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well said, and I'll add my thanks as well. I have learned so much on this forum and enjoyed so much in the process. And always (well, most always :p) in a friendly, respectful format.

Hats off to the moderators, who I think do an extremely good job of walking the fine line of keeping the (sometimes quite heated!) discussions open and reining in the out-of-control.

And of course, special thanks to Ivar for getting it going and making it all possible.

Great job all around.
Hi Bala,
Totally agree with your added input. Yes, yes and yes!

Chris, thank you for starting your thread "Ivar's staff...". Like you, I am truly appreciative all the work that the staff and moderators do in considering the postings from so many differing viewpoints and personalities. It is quite remarkable that world peace is maintained on Ivar's Forum!

I will add to the chorus of thank you's to Chris. BTW, I just read the PM sent to me, and I agree wholeheartedly with everything. Thank you for putting your kind sentiments into words.

Sometimes, it is observed that the Camino is a metaphor for life. If that is the case, and I believe it is, then the forum is a microcosm of life. Here, varied persons, from varied places and daily lives, with differing life experiences and backgrounds come together to share a common interest or passion, the Camino. At our core, we all just want to help. I rather doubt, and strongly, that anyone comes to the forum seeking to annoy or provoke others to anger or serious disagreement.

True, there is sometimes discord. However, I look at it as a big, really big, family. If you have ever sat around a large table to take a meal with an extended family, perhaps at a holiday or special event, you well understand what I mean.

Whenever people with differing viewpoints, experiences and backgrounds come together to share, discord is to be expected. Fortunately, here in the forum, we are, largely, of one mind more often than not.

Over the five years that I have been a member, I have built a new "family." They are my Camino family. In fact, my Camino family is far larger and more congenial than my actual biological family. I cherish them as much as the family I was born into, or associated myself with over the years through career, marriage or friendship.

At times, we "lock horns." Sparks sometimes fly. Private conversations flow in the background as we sort matters out and come to a common understanding. These discussions are best kept "offline" as they sometimes reveal more than members would like to see broadcast across social media.

I consider this as part and parcel of the human dynamic. I neither avoid, nor promote discord. Instead I view it as a means to better understand my colleague pilgrims. I try to avoid being provocative. But when and it it happens, I usually take it into a parallel PM and diffuse the tension there.

We do not always agree. Sometimes we will continue to disagree viscerally. But, we ALWAYS can come away from any discussion simply agreeing to disagree and leave it like that, on a civil level. Overall, I try to use the wisdom in the St. Francis Prayer as my guidance in forum matters:

"... O Master, let me not seek as much
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love,
for it is in giving that one receives,
it is in self-forgetting that one finds,
it is in pardoning that one is pardoned,..."

Excerpt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_of_Saint_Francis

See also, "Giles of Assisi:" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_of_Assisi

The Blessed Giles of Assisi was a contemporary of Francis, and a member of his happy band of Franciscan "oddballs" (for the time)...

This is attributed to him, and also applies to our conversation:

"Blessed is he who loves and does not therefore desire to be loved;
Blessed is he who fears and does not therefore desire to be feared;
Blessed is he who serves and does not therefore desire to be served;
Blessed is he who behaves well toward others and does not desire that others behave well toward him;
And because these are great things, the foolish do not rise to them..."

I think this about says it all...

I hope this helps the dialog.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well written Tom.

The forum really is like a big family gathering and spirited discussion is welcome, even encouraged by me. Respect for the other person even if you do not agree with their point of view is what we encourage.

You give good advice to take a discussion which is becoming a two way one to PM and try and resolve things there.

It is funny how we can all have strong opinions about some aspect of the Camino which sets us off. If people can remember that not everyone will feel the same way and let it pass once we have expressed our opinion or PM if we want a deeper discussion, it will help the forum to run without conflict.

Bill:

I think anyone who has siblings, or a large family, or even a lot of colleagues or friends "gets it." On a broader scope, we all must play together nicely "in the sand box...that is our time on earth."

Disagreement is not wrong. It is part and parcel of the human condition. I embrace the diversity of views. I may not always agree, but I respect the right of each person to have their opinion.

As an aside, and for our non-US colleagues out there, those of us who were US-raised and educated in the "old-school" (that is to say in a time when seriously learning US civics and about patriotism, self-sacrifice, and civic responsibility was a rule and prerequisite for high school graduation, as opposed to the current situation of learning in the exception...but I digress...), will seriously tell you that, while I may disagree with (or even detest) your opinions, I will defend to the death your right to express them...PERIOD! THAT is how I conduct myself.

Over some 45 years, I have had the privilege of traveling all over the world and engaging with people of many cultures, languages, religious and political backgrounds in many fora and venues. I have learned that human beings of good will can ALWAYS find common ground, regardless. OTOH, there have been, sometimes and rarely, humans who did not have good will, towards me or my colleagues. Those folks, we sorted in quick order...:eek:

It is like they say with television programming...you can always turn the channel or just turn it off. Short of leaving this mortal coil, I cannot conceive of "turning it (the forum) off." it has become, over five years, my "raison d'etre." But, I have on occasion, simply chosen to absent myself from a thread when I either do not agree with what is being stated, or feel that I cannot offer anything of value.;)

In other words, if I cannot add value, for someone out there...I butt out...

Thanks again for your kind words.

Tom

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I will add to the chorus of thank you's to Chris. BTW, I just read the PM sent to me, and I agree wholeheartedly with everything. Thank you for putting your kind sentiments into words.

Sometimes, it is observed that the Camino is a metaphor for life. If that is the case, and I believe it is, then the forum is a microcosm of life. Here, varied persons, from varied places and daily lives, with differing life experiences and backgrounds come together to share a common interest or passion, the Camino. At our core, we all just want to help. I rather doubt, and strongly, that anyone comes to the forum seeking to annoy or provoke others to anger or serious disagreement.

True, there is sometimes discord. However, I look at it as a big, really big, family. If you have ever sat around a large table to take a meal with an extended family, perhaps at a holiday or special event, you well understand what I mean.

Whenever people with differing viewpoints, experiences and backgrounds come together to share, discord is to be expected. Fortunately, here in the forum, we are, largely, of one mind more often than not.

Over the five years that I have been a member, I have built a new "family." They are my Camino family. In fact, my Camino family is far larger and more congenial than my actual biological family. I cherish them as much as the family I was born into, or associated myself with over the years through career, marriage or friendship.

At times, we "lock horns." Sparks sometimes fly. Private conversations flow in the background as we sort matters out and come to a common understanding. These discussions are best kept "offline" as they sometimes reveal more than members would like to see broadcast across social media.

I consider this as part and parcel of the human dynamic. I neither avoid, nor promote discord. Instead I view it as a means to better understand my colleague pilgrims. I try to avoid being provocative. But when and it it happens, I usually take it into a parallel PM and diffuse the tension there.

We do not always agree. Sometimes we will continue to disagree viscerally. But, we ALWAYS can come away from any discussion simply agreeing to disagree and leave it like that, on a civil level. Overall, I try to use the wisdom in the St. Francis Prayer as my guidance in forum matters:

"... O Master, let me not seek as much
to be consoled as to console,
to be understood as to understand,
to be loved as to love,
for it is in giving that one receives,
it is in self-forgetting that one finds,
it is in pardoning that one is pardoned,..."

Excerpt: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prayer_of_Saint_Francis

See also, "Giles of Assisi:" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giles_of_Assisi

The Blessed Giles of Assisi was a contemporary of Francis, and a member of his happy band of Franciscan "oddballs" (for the time)...

This is attributed to him, and also applies to our conversation:

"Blessed is he who loves and does not therefore desire to be loved;
Blessed is he who fears and does not therefore desire to be feared;
Blessed is he who serves and does not therefore desire to be served;
Blessed is he who behaves well toward others and does not desire that others behave well toward him;
And because these are great things, the foolish do not rise to them..."

I think this about says it all...

I hope this helps the dialog.
This is just wonderful, t2andreo, and along with all the other positive, uplifting comments it makes me very pleased that I started this thread. I think most of us appreciate this forum and everyone involved very much!

We do not mean to forget to say THANK YOU but really so often get so engrossed in the comments posted on this wonderful site that it goes past us - I too would like to offer my great gratitude for Ivar and his team for setting this up for us all to enjoy and to learn from. I would have certainly taken a wrong road many a time if i had first not read all the info posted here beforehand and written it down in my trusted little black book - so from a very enthusiastic follower and walker please accept my deepest gratitude and to all out there who also post thank you for the wonderful info that you all impart.
Buen camino and happy safe roads for you all.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back