• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I've decided I can't win

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Since my pilgrimage last year (CF) I have been planning to walk the VDLP in March 2018. I posted today on another thread about my wife not understanding my need to repeat another pilgrimage in Spain. I will add that my wife did join me in Sarria last year and we did the last section together.
Over lunch we were again discussing my walking again, when out of the blue she said, I wouldn't mind walking from Burgos to Leon with you. After explaining that this section is not on the VDLP, I've now changed the route I'm going to be walking.
Don't get me wrong I'm over the moon that she will experience what I experienced going across the Meseta.
I guess it doesn't really matter what route you take, after all it's a pilgrimage with the destination in the same place.
So no more planning required, already got the book and maps. Is it too early to start practice runs at packing?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Since my pilgrimage last year (CF) I have been planning to walk the VDLP in March 2018. I posted today on another thread about my wife not understanding my need to repeat another pilgrimage in Spain. I will add that my wife did join me in Sarria last year and we did the last section together.
Over lunch we were again discussing my walking again, when out of the blue she said, I wouldn't mind walking from Burgos to Leon with you. After explaining that this section is not on the VDLP, I've now changed the route I'm going to be walking.
Don't get me wrong I'm over the moon that she will experience what I experienced going across the Meseta.
I guess it doesn't really matter what route you take, after all it's a pilgrimage with the destination in the same place.
So no more planning required, already got the book and maps. Is it too early to start practice runs at packing?
Well, I would say that's very nice. But if she (and obviously you too) likes flat terrain why not choose the flatest part of VdlP where she can join you as on CF? Or even why not choose Camino de Madrid which is as flat as Burgos-Leon stretch? OK, apart from Cercedilla-Segovia stage over Guadarrama ridge but your wife could take a train and wait for you in Segovia. Camino de Madrid is a bit longer and would be a new experience not just for your wife but also for you...

Just some food for thought ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Wonderful that your wife wants to walk any part of the Camino! Who knows, after she does, she might want to trek another section or full one?

I completed the Camino Francis from SJPDP in June this year with my 23 year old daughter and my wife had no interest in going. I came back and had the Camino Blues, so I went back in September and trekked the CVDLP from Sevilla, with the full encouragement of my wife. I had a blog during both and my wife said she enjoyed following me. Now she has told me she'd like to trek the Francis, but not just parts of it, but the whole thing from SJPDP. I look forward to it!

So, take the Camino that you can with her, and plan the CVDLP later. By the way, the Plata is definitely very different and challenging, but a wonderful experience. You will love it!

This sounds like our experience in many ways. I couldn't walk when Terry walked his first camino. Then we tried a section each of the Primitivo and Norte together before walking 'my' Camino Ingles, then again .........

So glad @Waka that your wife has chosen a section that calls to her, which you can help with having been there before. As Terry said being together made it very different so he was not repeating his walk even though it was through places he had already been.

Well, I would say that's very nice. But if she (and obviously you too) likes flat terrain why not choose the flatest part of VdlP where she can join you as on CF? Or even why not choose Camino de Madrid which is as flat as Burgos-Leon stretch? OK, apart from Cercedilla-Segovia stage over Guadarrama ridge but your wife could take a train and wait for you in Segovia. Camino de Madrid is a bit longer and would be a new experience not just for your wife but also for you...

Just some food for thought ;)

All very good ideas and they would work, but with my tales of the cathedral in Burgos and Leon she really wants to visit them. I guess I'll have to keep the VDLP for another year.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wonderful that your wife wants to walk any part of the Camino! Who knows, after she does, she might want to trek another section or full one?

I completed the Camino Francis from SJPDP in June this year with my 23 year old daughter and my wife had no interest in going. I came back and had the Camino Blues, so I went back in September and trekked the CVDLP from Sevilla, with the full encouragement of my wife. I had a blog during both and my wife said she enjoyed following me. Now she has told me she'd like to trek the Francis, but not just parts of it, but the whole thing from SJPDP. I look forward to it!

So, take the Camino that you can with her, and plan the CVDLP later. By the way, the Plata is definitely very different and challenging, but a wonderful experience. You will love it!

We had a good time with the Last part of the CF last year, it was different walking together after I'd just walked 5 weeks on my own. The only difference with this time will be that my wife will have her bag sent on ahead.
After walking Hadrian's wall this year and carrying all our gear, I have been firmly told that it's the last time she can carry everything. We are getting on in years so it's perfectly acceptable that one of us will send gear ahead.
regarding a whole camino, I'm not to sure she's up for that at the moment unless it's the shorter ones.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would say that you did win. While I am a first-time pilgrim this fall, I already feel sure that even if you walk the same path it will not be the same Camino. The people you meet as well as the places you find to sleep will be different, and of course, you will have your partner who is excited to see the great cathedrals. Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What wonderful choices you have. Another is to walk the VDLP to Leon, Bus to Burgos, join your wife and you continue on or not to Santiago or down to Zamora and the Sanabre to Santiago.

A short story, after walking this year my wife went to the Pilgrims office in need of a restroom. A gentleman there said "You must be a pilgrim to use the facilities" she simply pointed to her bandaged feet.
Ultreya........ Willy/Utah/USA

We'll, if I were you, I'd start telling wonderful tales about Pamplona.....and descriptions of the varied landscape between Pamplona and Burgos.....and before you know it you'll both be saying you just have to walk from Pamplona to Leon.

€60,-
@Waka This is wonderful, but I would caution against trying to change her mind too much.

I found myself in a similar situation last year. A few years ago my wife walked the Milford Track in NZ with my granddaughter and me on the basis that I would never ask her to walk with me on the Camino. I guess you can imagine my surprise and joy when last year she came out and said she would walk the CF this year.

What slowly became obvious was the enormous amount of research she had put in to reach this point, and how firmly she had set her goals on this before revealing her decision to me. It became so much easier for us when I understood my goal was to be her aide and companion much more than an expert mentor or guide.

Tread warily, my friend. Do not spoil this wonderful opportunity.

Waka, there are three ways of arguing with a woman .... none of them work.

Enjoy your Camino :)
Hi David -

I'm sitting here wondering if I can be brave enough to ask "What are the three ways of arguing with a woman"? ... Before making a complete idiot of myself here on the Forum I decided to consult Professor Google where I found pages of websites offering guidance for men relating to arguments with women, including from doctornerdlove, Illimitable Men and askmen.com ... no joy from those pages on the three ways! So, could you please put us all out of our misery (me particularly!) and let us know those three ways? :)

Whilst conducting my research I found a list of ways to win an argument with a woman ... here it is ;) :

Crikey you can have some fun on the Forum ! :D Thanks to Waka for starting the thread and Buen Camino to you and your peregrina, Waka.

Cheers - Jenny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hey Jenny you got that list right, I'm still chuckling to my self, she who must be obeyed is looking at me rather strange. There's no way I'm showing her this one because she'll say I told you so.

"What are the three ways of arguing with a woman"?
It's not just with women. The same goes in the other direction, too. Arguments between whichever gender you choose are always lose-lose. Respectful disagreements are another story.

Doug beautifully describes the kind of respect that's much more useful (italics mine):
What slowly became obvious was the enormous amount of research she had put in to reach this point, and how firmly she had set her goals on this before revealing her decision to me. It became so much easier for us when I understood my goal was to be her aide and companion much more than an expert mentor or guide.
Tread warily, my friend. Do not spoil this wonderful opportunity.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
As you have both walked from Sarria, you could detour from Sarria to El Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago.

As you have both walked from Sarria, you could detour from Sarria to El Ferrol and walk the Camino Ingles to Santiago.

That's a very good point although my better half will only go as far as Leon, but for me that is an option.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.