• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I've finally decided between VDLP and Camino Frances

Andrewere

I've been split between the chance to meet many other pilgrims on the Camino Frances and the (probably) better weather, but fewer pilgrims, of the VDLP. So I have just booked my flight from Bournemouth to Malaga on the 13th October and will get he train from there to Sevilla to start the Via de la Plata.

That gives me 3 weeks to make sure I have the right gear, finish some DIY in the house, tie up some loose ends with my landscaping business etc. I have been fortunate in that a project has been postponed until the Spring which gives me the 5 or 6 weeks to do the walk.

I walked the section from Monasterio to Caceres in mid November 2008 and assumed that I would only be able to do a Camino in sections so this is very exciting.

Since I have so enjoyed other peoples live blogs I have decided to write one myself and will put the address on here when I have one. I'll try and do it from my mobile phone and have experimented with Blogger which seems to work well. I'll also use PC's where possible as text is limited on a mobile.

This site has been a great help over the past few years and now I hope that I can add something to it.

Many thanks,

Andrew

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Andrew, I only walked the first 8 days of the VDLP because of my own poor planning and extremely hot weather, but from what I did walk, you're going to have a fantastic journey!

If there's any advice I could give you, it would be to purchase a bladder for water. I don't suggest a bladder for the Frances, because fountains are everywhere. But the VDLP is sorely lacking and the stages are longer. Perhaps in October, it will be different. Perhaps the rains will have come.

If you are interested in any of my notes from the first few days, PM me, and I'll tell you what I know.

Buen Camino!
I can't wait to hear about your trip!

You will be in good company Andrew :D . As far as I can tell there are at least 4 forum members on the VdlP right now!
Will also be following you with great interest as I am planning a stroll down (or rather up!) the VdlP summer 2011.
Cheers,
LT

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Have a terrific Journey.
I've walked the VdlP, and found it exciting and fulfilling.

Best wishes,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Hi, Andrew,

I echo the good wishes of others. I have also walked from Sevilla, just this past May and enjoyed almost every step. Since you've walked part of it (a very beautiful part in the spring), you already have a sense of the wonderful adventure that awaits. I will thoroughly enjoy reading your blog, much as I am enjoying Bill Beahan's right now (he's almost in Caceres).

Wishing you a buenisimo camino. Laurie

Anniesantiago said:
If there's any advice I could give you, it would be to purchase a bladder for water. I don't suggest a bladder for the Frances, because fountains are everywhere. But the VDLP is sorely lacking and the stages are longer.

I took a bladder last year. The screw cap cracked in the first week. When I walked the VdlP in 2008 I took 4 half litre plastic bottles which did the job nicely. I would not take any less on the VdlP because as Annie says the stages are long and there are not so many fountains.

If you are flying to Malaga, why not start walking from Malaga: now there's adventure!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Annie, we started in the last week of April last time (2007), and are starting at the same time this spring - April 25. It is a wonderful time, I think, for all sections of the VDLP. I loved watching spring unfold as we walked. It was also a great time to walk the Sanabrese. Suren, there was rain, but not bad. Having said that -its like every other camino - the weather can do anything! Maybe well see you on the way this spring!

lynne

Anniesantiago said:
I really have to go in Spring and finish what I started.

What months have people walked, and how did it go?

I started from Malaga on 2 April and it went very well, though I did have some rain which made parts of the track very muddy.

Lots of flowers, not too many people.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks Laurie..... I look forward to 'following him' -again!
Margaret

I arrived in Savilla yesterday and will visit some of the sites today before starting on the Camino tomorrow morning. I´ll probably walk to Guillena as it looks too far to the next place. Following a reccomendation from this foum I´m staying in the Hotel Simon which is just around the corner from the Cathedral. They can provide a VdlP credential even if you´re not a guest. I´ll put my blog address on here later once I´ve added something to it. Not sure how easy it will be to add pictures as this computer won´t take memory sticks or cards - I hope they´re not all like that. The weather here is hot by English standards and I can´t wait to start out from the Cathedral in the morning. Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Andrew.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Buen camino, Andrew! I'll follow your blog with interest.

Go well.

lynne

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back