• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Izarbide albergue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth Douglas

Time of past OR future Camino
none past, nothern camino last week of June
We stopped at an albergue between Deba and Marquina which turned out a nightmare for all. I cannot recall the name of the albergue, it was not a Donativo. It was run by a 6 foot 6 inch Spanish guy, real business like dude who is all about the money.

The manager (perhaps owner?) and his staff allowed their mentally disturbed friend from Portugal stay at the same place. The staff and their friend were smoking marijauna openly outside, this guy was challenging guests in a highly aggressive manner.

The issue I had with the albergue was the attitude of the owner/manager/tall dude. He did not care one little bit that the women and some of the men were frightened by this unhinged character. Someone called the policia and they arrived and spoke to the person but could not arrest him as he had not yet committed a crime.

Maybe someone can help me with the name of the albergue, the building was basically a cow shed with different sections, they gave a very poor dinner which left everyone hungry and tired the next morning. The washing machine broke, the breakfast was served in a bag, their were 2 large mixed dorms.

Avoid at all costs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Glad you posted this.
Hopefully you will get the name of the place. Possibly look for the stamp (if they stamped your passport) for the name of the place?

Would be nice to have a BLACK LIST room on this forum. So people can quickly make a one stop check of the places to stay away from.

If a place makes the BLACK LIST it is really bad.

Thanks for the info...I know we are not supposed to put the bum rap on alburgues as the next visitor may have a different experience, but this place sounds like the next person to post on it may have a very, very bad experience. Mary Jane is not always as easygoing as it is portrayed, especially with prolonged usage as this situation seems to indicate.

Stay safe out there.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi - This was the stamp from the albergue between Deba & Marqina mentioned above (AVOID AT ALL COSTS). 3 cheers for anyone who can descipher the name of it.

Gareth

IMAG0874.jpg

As it (nearly) says on Tripe Advertiser - opinions expressed here are those of the author.

I am not aware of an Albergue between Deba and Markina; there is nothing listed on Gronze either. If this place is recently opened then they may not have learnt their place in the world yet.

And among the reasons we do not have a Black List on this forum are the laws on Defamation, the difficulty in verifying any allegations made in a posting and because if you want a perfect holiday you should go to a perfect resort.

Last edited:
Another reason why we don't have a blacklist is that just because one person has one bad experience, it does not necessarily follow that every pilgrim would have bad experience at the place. As I have said before, I welcome pilgrim's feedback on albergues, both positive and negative but telling people to boycott a place because YOU had a bad experience sounds a little too self-centered to me.

Hi Tincan - I am aware that my opinion is my own, thanks. I stand over word I posted above.

I have provided clear advice for the safety of my fellow pilgrims, and have provided the stamp of the albergue which definitely does exist.

Nobody expects perfection on the Camino, I am not the type of person to ever complain about anything in fact.. This is probably the first time in years I have logged into a website to complain about anything... So take my words seriously.

Best regards and keep safe all.
Gareth

Maybe best to start a 'Be Aware' list urgently, anyway, and invite comments from any that still chose to visit these places - or go then decide not to stay and why, and then when others express bad experiences its shifted to the 'Black List' ?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another reason why we don't have a blacklist is that just because one person has one bad experience, it does not necessarily follow that every pilgrim would have bad experience at the place. As I have said before, I welcome pilgrim's feedback on albergues, both positive and negative but telling people to boycott a place because YOU had a bad experience sounds a little too self-centered to me.

Hi Michael - Logging into this website and taking the time to inform fellow pilgrims about a very real threat to their safety is the most selfless thing I have done in a long time, thanks for sharing your opinion though.

Best regards
Gareth

I stayed at Izarbide several weeks ago, and we were a bunch of very happy peregrinos. So it just goes to show that there's no accounting for taste.

The owner is a woman who converted her grandpa's old cow barn. She is a former first responder and has been at this for a while. She was very friendly and chatty, and I met her mom, her daughter, and her partner. This is a family operation. She does smoke, and she was visited in the afternoon by friends who smoke, but they were always outside.

Across the road in the old cow pasture, they have put some lounge chairs and a picnic table under umbrellas. It was heavenly, in the shade, with a wonderful view. One of the few times that I remember falling asleep in the afternoon.

I don't remember the dinner, but my standards are pretty low. I do remember the conviviality of the two tables though, it was a nice bunch. And I do remember there were vegetarians who were grateful that she did something for them.

One room was for males, one for females, which was appreciated. Bathrooms were clean.

I'm not disputing the OP's opinion, but it was certainly not my experience.

Is it this place?
http://www.wisepilgrim.com/camino-del-norte/ibiri-auzoa/albergue-izarbide
http://izarbideaterpetxea.wixsite.com/izarbide

In general, I'm with Tinca on the blacklist idea. Not a good one, I think, because one's experience at an albergue so much depends on hospitaleros, who change often. And subjective opinions. Which are...subjective. (This experience aside, which does feel different.)

Hi - Yes that's the place, Albergue Izarbide. As I say to all, the attitude of the owner towards the stressed out guests was not acceptable, he should have removed the person from his property but seemed happy to have him around.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe best to start a 'Be Aware' list urgently, anyway, and invite comments from any that still chose to visit these places - or go then decide not to stay and why, and then when others express bad experiences its shifted to the 'Black List' ?

Why? There are enough places to express your customer feelings . Places indeed like Tripadvisor or Google review. In fact if you google the name of the albergue you will find alot of reviews.

I stayed at Izarbide several weeks ago, and we were a bunch of very happy peregrinos. So it just goes to show that there's no accounting for taste.

The owner is a woman who converted her grandpa's old cow barn. She is a former first responder and has been at this for a while. She was very friendly and chatty, and I met her mom, her daughter, and her partner. This is a family operation. She does smoke, and she was visited in the afternoon by friends who smoke, but they were always outside.

Across the road in the old cow pasture, they have put some lounge chairs and a picnic table under umbrellas. It was heavenly, in the shade, with a wonderful view. One of the few times that I remember falling asleep in the afternoon.

I don't remember the dinner, but my standards are pretty low. I do remember the conviviality of the two tables though, it was a nice bunch. And I do remember there were vegetarians who were grateful that she did something for them.

One room was for males, one for females, which was appreciated. Bathrooms were clean.

I'm not disputing the OP's opinion, but it was certainly not my experience.

We had heard great things about the albergue and everything you say above is true, but the woman was not around and the tall dude just had no empathy for the effect of his friend on his guests. I dont care that they smoke marijauna by the way, I am not judgemental in that sense. It was the attitude towards the stressed out guests which was appalling.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The OP has complained loudly and clearly on this forum about an establishment that will never know, which is both fundamentally unfair and unlikely to change anything. But the OP could have done something positive that might actually have improved things. Every single accommodation provider in Spain must be licensed and is required to have complaint forms that must be, by law, provided to any guest who asks. The guest can drop that form at any local or provincial government office where the matter will be fully investigated and followed up with the accommodation provider. The Spanish take these complaints very seriously.

We stopped at an albergue between Deba and Marquina which turned out a nightmare for all. I cannot recall the name of the albergue, it was not a Donativo. It was run by a 6 foot 6 inch Spanish guy, real business like dude who is all about the money.

The manager (perhaps owner?) and his staff allowed their mentally disturbed friend from Portugal stay at the same place. The staff and their friend were smoking marijauna openly outside, this guy was challenging guests in a highly aggressive manner.

The issue I had with the albergue was the attitude of the owner/manager/tall dude. He did not care one little bit that the women and some of the men were frightened by this unhinged character. Someone called the policia and they arrived and spoke to the person but could not arrest him as he had not yet committed a crime.

Maybe someone can help me with the name of the albergue, the building was basically a cow shed with different sections, they gave a very poor dinner which left everyone hungry and tired the next morning. The washing machine broke, the breakfast was served in a bag, their were 2 large mixed dorms.

Avoid at all costs.

Just curious... If the "unhinged character" who "had not yet committed a crime" (but was presumably just about to) was not at the albergue that night, would your advice to boycott the hostal be the same?

I'll tell you why I ask... If the "unhinged character" was not there, and you had not then seen any lack of empathy from the "tall dude", then perhaps you might not have had a bad experience. In that case, you should have posted a message to warn others "AVOID AT ALL COSTS the aggressive, pot-smoking Portuguese guy who stayed the night of 27 June 2017 in the Izarbide Albergue". Right? That way, it won't sound so much like "please punish this place by forcing them out of business because I had a bad experience one night while staying there".

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm sorry to say that I find many remarks of the OP very disrespectful. I'm convinced that he and his company had an unpleasant time but that does not justify the stated opinions. To name just one point. It reminded me of some experiences I had when I worked with mentally retarded people and went on holidays with them. Most of the times we stayed in regular hotels. Reactions of other guests varied a lot but some of them were very annoyed and said that our group had no right to be there and to disturb their holidays. Of course it can be very irritating if people are noisy or otherwise behave out of the ordinary. That does not mean that you can deny them the right to being a public space. You always can choose to move to another place.

Just curious... If the "unhinged character" who "had not yet committed a crime" (but was presumably just about to) was not at the albergue that night, would your advice to boycott the hostal be the same?
Seeing as you ask I will illustrate my experience which I will stand over in a court of law if that were necessary.

Can I preface my response by saying everyone should do the Camino, the company of the locals and the fellow pilgrims is just a treasure to experience and cherish forever. I have never holidayed alone but can thoroughly recommend the experience to anyone remotely interested in a different type of holiday - one to rebuild your heart and soul.

Yes I would definitely recommend this place if the mother of the house is in residence - all hostels are about the people that run them, she is the heartbeat of this place I imagine, and I am sorry I did not get to meet her. Maybe you can call ahead to see if she is about...

You had to be there to understand the atmosphere in the albergue that night I suppose. I personally witnessed 3 instances where this guy's behaviour unesttled a number of guests (there were a number of other confrontations I did not see) -

An elderly English woman who had mentioned her knee was swelling was approached and the guy told me loudly/wildly into our faces that he could heal her body with his hands without touching her skin as he had cured his own broken fingers which he held in her face while asking aggressively did she want to see the X-rays???

At dinner he shouted obsceneties at a 45 yo German chap who's wife had died and claimed he was the devil and got up to start pointing at him before I stepped across him with my back to him (hoping to hell he would just stop), the dinner had been fun and convivial up to that point.

The doors were locked and people were cowering under bunks - the women came running into the mens section and the bed arrangements had to change to accommodate a mixture of men and women throughout the rooms to ensure safety for all.

The staff took him outside and kept him stoned long enough to allow guests to wander around the open area and savour a lovely evening but the mood was fractured even then.

I had thoroughly enjoyed my first week on the Camino - and I am not the complaining type, I stayed in places with a lot less to offer and I had a ball.

Best regards
Gareth

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What could the staff have done more?
I talked to alot of hospitaleros / albergue owners (I will not name them because of privacy reason ) who also had their fair share of disturbed, mentally less stable pilgrims. They told me they always had to think very carefully how to deal with the situation.
Sometimes it was only later on clear that they had a pilgrim with mental health issues.
Sometimes when the situation was extreme they could only give the person his money back and put him on the street. Other times they put the person in a private room so not to disturb the other pilgrims. Putting them on the street in the middle of the night would put the person in danger too.
And on another occasion they could call the Emergency unit of the hospital ( those albergues that are close to a big city ).

And I know that lots of hospis try to convince those pilgrims to stop their Camino and go back home for decent treatment.

That is my last say on this subject.

Last edited:
What could the staff have done more?
I talked to alot of hospitaleros / albergue owners (I will not name them because of privacy reason ) who also had their fair share of disturbed, mentally less stable pilgrims. They told me they always had to think very carefully how to deal with the situation.
Sometimes it was only later on clear that they had a pilgrim with mental health issues.
Sometimes when the situation was extreme they could only give the person his money back and put him on the street. Other times they put the person in a private room so not to disturb the other pilgrims. Putting them on the street in the middle of the night would put the person in danger too.
And on another occasion they could the Emergency unit of the hospital ( those albergues that are close to a big city ).

And I know that lots of hospis try to convince those pilgrims to stop their Camino and go back home for decent treatment.

That is my last say on this subject.

The staff have a duty of care to him and to the guests, they did nothing to ensure that saftey as there could have easily have been a confrontation with the nature of his condition. The tall dude spoke to me but he should have addressed everybody and showed no leadership for his size. This is my last post on the topic and good evening.

Words count. Note this summary of defamation:

Defamation Laws In Spain
In Spain, defamation constitutes a criminal act, known as “calumny” and “injury” under Articles 205 and 216 of the Penal Code. In Spain, ‘calumny’ is a crime by spreading or publishing a falsehood when you either know it is not true, or with ‘reckless’ contempt of the truth. In one article published by Olive Press, while English libel law is notoriously skewed in favor of the person making the claim and payouts are also often massive, Spain’s legislators do not share these views and therefore the number of defamation cases is comparatively low. In Spain, the sums awarded are also reduced through injunctions.

Under Article 131 (1) of the Penal Code, the crime of defamation shall prescribe in one year. Further, the aggrieved party may choose to file a civil action as prescribed under Article 109 of the Penal Code.

However, let us consider some of the current defamation cases existing in Spain. For instance, the Spanish courts through the support of the Spanish Data Protection Authority (“SDPA”) and other members of the European Union recently asked the Internet-search provider Google to remove data about a private individual from its index. This request is based on the doctrine of the “right to be forgotten” as it relates to internet defamation.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
... The doors were locked and people were cowering under bunks ...

Are you seriously saying that you and your fellow pilgrims were hiding UNDER their bunk beds? Because that is what it sounds like ... Buen Camino, SY

Since the OP has clarified that had this guest not been there that night his stay at the albergue would have been satisfactory, should the name and location of the albergue removed.

And I suggest this rather than deleting because there is valuable information in the thread, as we may allbe faced on day with a similar situation, sharing an albergue with someone who may be a little odd, insettling, or mentally ill.

On my third Camino I walked the same etapas as a man who was delirious, clearly unwell. He had also taken a fancy for a beautiful young woman in the group and would find a way to be near her when he could. So the rest of the group made sure she was never alone, that she took an upper bunk against a wall, etc. Noone went after the young man, simply made sure an eye was kept on the situation. After all. If anyone there probably the Camino the most, it was him.

Avoid at all costs.
Opinions are like navels: everybody has one. Everyone is entitled to express his/her opinion and those of us who read this board can heed or ignore it. If one looks at the Trip Advisor website one sees differing reviews. I appreciate hearing about another pilgrim's experience, good or bad. In the end, I make up my own mind and live with the consequences. Isn't that why we're here in the first place?

Since the OP has clarified that had this guest not been there that night his stay at the albergue would have been satisfactory, should the name and location of the albergue removed.

And I suggest this rather than deleting because there is valuable information in the thread, as we may allbe faced on day with a similar situation, sharing an albergue with someone who may be a little odd, insettling, or mentally ill.

On my third Camino I walked the same etapas as a man who was delirious, clearly unwell. He had also taken a fancy for a beautiful young woman in the group and would find a way to be near her when he could. So the rest of the group made sure she was never alone, that she took an upper bunk against a wall, etc. Noone went after the young man, simply made sure an eye was kept on the situation. After all. If anyone there probably the Camino the most, it was him.

The way I understand the OP's posting, this disturbed man was not a pilgrim, but a friend of the owner / manager or of the staff who was staying in the albergue too.
If anything, this is very unprofessional and IMHO it indicates that the owner / manager was not really interested in the well-being of the pilgrims. Allowing the staff to smoke marijuana while on duty beggars belief. They are not there for their own trip.
Most guests will tolerate a little inconvenience. But guests calling the police because they feel unsafe and the manager is not responding, well that is totally unheard of.

I hope things turn to their friendly normal if and when the lady of the house returns. I also hope someone will inform her about the situation.

Opinions are like navels: everybody has one. Everyone is entitled to express his/her opinion and those of us who read this board can heed or ignore it. If one looks at the Trip Advisor website one sees differing reviews. I appreciate hearing about another pilgrim's experience, good or bad. In the end, I make up my own mind and live with the consequences. Isn't that why we're here in the first place?

Thanks Tio. Please also read the part where I state some facts along with opinions.

Seeing as you ask I will illustrate my experience which I will stand over in a court of law if that were necessary.

Can I preface my response by saying everyone should do the Camino, the company of the locals and the fellow pilgrims is just a treasure to experience and cherish forever. I have never holidayed alone but can thoroughly recommend the experience to anyone remotely interested in a different type of holiday - one to rebuild your heart and soul.

Yes I would definitely recommend this place if the mother of the house is in residence - all hostels are about the people that run them, she is the heartbeat of this place I imagine, and I am sorry I did not get to meet her. Maybe you can call ahead to see if she is about...

You had to be there to understand the atmosphere in the albergue that night I suppose. I personally witnessed 3 instances where this guy's behaviour unesttled a number of guests (there were a number of other confrontations I did not see) -

An elderly English woman who had mentioned her knee was swelling was approached and the guy told me loudly/wildly into our faces that he could heal her body with his hands without touching her skin as he had cured his own broken fingers which he held in her face while asking aggressively did she want to see the X-rays???

At dinner he shouted obsceneties at a 45 yo German chap who's wife had died and claimed he was the devil and got up to start pointing at him before I stepped across him with my back to him (hoping to hell he would just stop), the dinner had been fun and convivial up to that point.

The doors were locked and people were cowering under bunks - the women came running into the mens section and the bed arrangements had to change to accommodate a mixture of men and women throughout the rooms to ensure safety for all.

The staff took him outside and kept him stoned long enough to allow guests to wander around the open area and savour a lovely evening but the mood was fractured even then.

I had thoroughly enjoyed my first week on the Camino - and I am not the complaining type, I stayed in places with a lot less to offer and I had a ball.

Best regards
Gareth

That sounds absolutely horrifying!

On a lighter note, I personally now refrain from even recommending an albergue, let alone disparaging one... I have found people are so different
some will love what puts me off and hate what I thought was a wonderful welcome and atmosphere....

But thanks for sharing and I hope you've recovered from that ordeal :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Are you seriously saying that you and your fellow pilgrims were hiding UNDER their bunk beds? Because that is what it sounds like ... Buen Camino, SY

It was a furtive huddling of women gathering in and amongst the bunks of the men. Up until the first outburst the dorms were split along gender lines to allow ease of providing decency to the women. After that, it was everything goes and the women were shook and probably scaring each other too. The fact this all takes place in a barn with little natural light added to the cabin fever and people were scared. I was talking people down from a collective course of action which could have been disasterous. I should not have been in that situation and tall dude knows that. Arthur the Aussie guy I was with was going to confront the chap and I dread to imagine the consequenes for either or both of them.

The OP has complained loudly and clearly on this forum about an establishment that will never know, which is both fundamentally unfair and unlikely to change anything. But the OP could have done something positive that might actually have improved things. Every single accommodation provider in Spain must be licensed and is required to have complaint forms that must be, by law, provided to any guest who asks. The guest can drop that form at any local or provincial government office where the matter will be fully investigated and followed up with the accommodation provider. The Spanish take these complaints very seriously.

Dear Kanga,
I have clearly stated what the establishment's failings were, so let's hope they are acted upon.

In the mean-time, if one less person experiences "the bite of the Izarbide", I will consider that a positive outcome to my post.

Best regards,
Gareth

Just to repeat myself and clarify, I don't doubt your experience that night. I don't doubt that it was a truly awful experience. As noted, I appreciate it when pilgrims come to this site to tell of particularly good or bad experiences at albergues. This incident clearly qualifies as a bad one. But unless that friend of the hospitalero is living there every night, why should other pilgrims avoid the albergue? Maybe I have just assumed that he was just a one-night guest as you have not said otherwise and long-term guests are unusual for albergues as well as no one else has mentioned meeting the man - so why should we "avoid the albergue at all costs" if he is not there? The place seems to have normal to good reviews by almost everyone who stayed there when the "unhinged" man was not around.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Kanga,

Thanks for this information. I did not know this. Much appreciated........

Thank you for sharing. Pilgrines can make a decision on staying or not based on your experience and those of others. I like to think this forum is about sharing information and we all know that experiences will be different depending on any number of things.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.