• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Izarbide is BACK!!!!

peregrina2000

Staff member
I was so distressed by the bad news about the albergue Izarbide that was posted here because it was so different from my experience last May.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/izarbide-albergue.49066/

Thinking that something must be wrong, I wrote to the owner Nerea several weeks ago and explained that I was hearing things about Izarbide that were so different from my experience. I heard nothing and thought oh well.

Just today, I got an email back. Nerea's brother died in June at the age of 43 from a terrible cancer. She rented the albergue for four months since she couldn't keep up with it with all the family obligations. She is now back and in charge again as of the 1st of October.

I urge all pilgrims to give it a chance. The location up on a hill in the countryside, with a big pasture with chairs, picnic tables, and glorious views, and a woman who worked for years to open this place on her own, all of those things make it very special. It is a few km up from Deba and is a very pastoral setting.

Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was so distressed by the bad news about the albergue Izarbide that was posted here because it was so different from my experience last May.

Thinking that something must be wrong, I wrote to the owner Nerea several weeks ago and explained that I was hearing things about Izarbide that were so different from my experience. I heard nothing and thought oh well.

Just today, I got an email back. Nerea's brother died in June at the age of 43 from a terrible cancer. She rented the albergue for four months since she couldn't keep up with it with all the family obligations. She is now back and in charge again as of the 1st of October.

I urge all pilgrims to give it a chance. The location up on a hill in the countryside, with a big pasture with chairs, picnic tables, and glorious views, and a woman who worked for years to open this place on her own, all of those things make it very special. It is a few km up from Deba and is a very pastoral setting.

Buen camino, Laurie
I loved my experience staying there in late April, 2016 and was surprised by the bad reviews I'd read about. Glad to hear the owner is once again overseeing her albergue. So sorry to hear about her brother. I remember a man of around that age who checked us in and gave us a complimentary sidra. I now wonder if he was her brother. Very sad news indeed.

Definitely give it a try. I stayed there in May when Nerea was in charge and had a wonderful experience. The setting/views alone are worth the trip. Separate men's and women's bunk rooms were another positive feature along with a washer and dryer and lockers for securing belongings.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you Laurie! Glad to hear the good news. Izarbide is on a stretch of the Camino del Norte where there aren't many alternatives for pilgrims wanting to walk short stages. With your news we will certainly keep Izarbide in our plan.
Cheers
Andrew

Buen camino, Laurie

Thanks for posting this Laurie. Izarbide is a really good albergue, in an excellent location. It's perfect for those who want to have a lunch stop in Deba and then walk an extra 5kms or so. Staying at this location also gives options for the next day's walk - that 5km head start makes it very possible to walk further than Markina - e.g. to the monastery just past Bolibar, or to Albergue Lea in Muntibar (as we both did).

I loved this albergue when I stayed there in May - for all the reasons that you cited in your post. I also really liked Nerea and the way that she ran the albergue. I returned a few weeks ago and while I didn't experience any particular problems, it was clear that Nerea wasn't around and that the (very nice and helpful) hospitalero was just keeping things 'ticking over'. It was good enough, but not as special as it was in May.

I'm delighted that Nerea is back at the helm. Pilgrims thinking of staying there can look forward to a warm fire on a cold day, or a cold beer on a sun lounger when the sun is shining! There's also a kitchen, a relaxation area, a communal dinner and a breakfast if desired. Those who opt for breakfast are given it 'picnic style' the night before. You get a pack with juice, fruit, tostada, butter, jam and cake. This is very handy as there are no services between the albergue and Markina.

On another post, I have seen that Izarbide continues to get mixed reviews. I wonder if any forum member has been there recently and can comment. As you can see from my and Nuala’s posts, we both had very wonderful experiences there. Sitting over in the pasture under the umbrella on a recliner with a gorgeous view was pretty special!

Anyone with recent Izarbide information? Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On another post, I have seen that Izarbide continues to get mixed reviews. I wonder if any forum member has been there recently and can comment. As you can see from my and Nuala’s posts, we both had very wonderful experiences there. Sitting over in the pasture under the umbrella on a recliner with a gorgeous view was pretty special!

Anyone with recent Izarbide information? Thanks, buen camino, Laurie

It's not very recent, but we stayed there in September last year. The food was great, the whole place was buzzing.

My experience is "old news" but I stayed there in April 2016 and it was very nice! I loved the patio with comfy seating looking out over the pasture on a late sunny afternoon with a glass of wine, and talking to the other pilgrims. The dinner was very good, too... I would not hesitate to return.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I had a wonderful experience there as well and would gladly return.

My experience in may 2018 was very good too, I also wondered about some bad reviews I read. For people who want to stay in cities or villages it is not so fit. It is isolated, which I myself like. I had the very best chicken leg there I have ever eaten

I stayed there a few weeks ago in late July. My experience was very positive. She is very strict about backpack management but once this is understood, everything else is really good.

The evening meal was generous and the "picnic" breakfast really useful as there are few opportunities to eat on the route the next day.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So now the only mystery is why the albergue is not listed on gronze.com. I have written to Nerea and will let you know if I hear back.

Very glad to hear about the continued good experiences!

Attachments

• IMG_20190718_205355.jpg
    IMG_20190718_205355.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20190718_190127.jpg
    IMG_20190718_190127.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20190718_205315.jpg
    IMG_20190718_205315.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 24
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
So now the only mystery is why the albergue is not listed on gronze.com. I have written to Nerea and will let you know if I hear back.

Very glad to hear about the continued good experiences!

It's very good of you to do this, Laurie. I really hope that Nerea is still there and that everything is going well for her.

I don't recall. It was really busy that day. It was definitely a family run Albergue. The Norte is really busy this summer. We stayed away from "the stages" but by seven/eight o clock even the intermediate Albergues were full.

Laurie, Donal’s comment about the strictness re. backpacks suggests that Nerea is running things again. She was really particular about that - unlike the guy who ran the place while she was away.

To @donalmahony and others — do you remember if a woman named Nerea was at the helm?
Laurie, I don't recall the name, but a woman was in charge, and as Nuala said, she was strict about everything.
I didn't have my ID card number in my credencial, she made me write it in :) Everywhere else, I would just show my ID card.

Yes! Izarbide is up and running well! Nerea greeted me this afternoon. She does have rules but they make good sense. Dinner was fabulous, as before. I am very happy to be here tonight.
I loved that place! Hope your weather was great to enjoy sitting on the patio prior to dinner!

Now this is strange. I had been helping a friend plan stages on the Norte and noticed that Izarbide was not listed on Gronze. So I assumed it had closed again. But lo and behold, these recent commentaries about Izarbide make clear that it is open:

Gronze tells me that the proprietors don’t want to be included on Gronze because of the bad commentaries, which must date from that time when the albergue was run by someone else.

Anyway… I’m assuming that all is well here in Izarbide and that pilgrims looking for a place to stay a few kms after Deba should consider it. Comments from recent stays would be helpful.

Now this is strange. I had been helping a friend plan stages on the Norte and noticed that Izarbide was not listed on Gronze. So I assumed it had closed again. But lo and behold, these recent commentaries about Izarbide make clear that it is open:

Gronze tells me that the proprietors don’t want to be included on Gronze because of the bad commentaries, which must date from that time when the albergue was run by someone else.

Anyway… I’m assuming that all is well here in Izarbide and that pilgrims looking for a place to stay a few kms after Deba should consider it. Comments from recent stays would be helpful.

Mentioned here yesterday

Thread 'In Bilbao about to leave for Pobeña' https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/in-bilbao-about-to-leave-for-pobeña.75369/

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I sent an email to them regarding if it was possible to book beds . Got a nice answer from a person named Douglas so they must be open .

I have very good memories of staying at Izarbide in late April 2016. Upon arrival we were offered a glass of cider, and later relaxed with a glass of wine on the patio before the communal dinner. Both provided opportunity to get to know the other pilgrims. I recall we women were all housed together in one big dorm room, and the men in the other.

I sent an email to them regarding if it was possible to book beds . Got a nice answer from a person named Douglas so they must be open .
I sent a request via WhatsApp yesterday and received confirmation within half an hour. I’m looking forward to relaxing in the peaceful countryside.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.