• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

jacket and poncho or just poncho?

marigold

Time of past OR future Camino
(2009) Sarria - Santiago; (2011) SJPP - Navarette; (2012) Logrono - Santiago;( 2013) Leon - Santiago - Finesterre
Hi everyone! I'm starting from Logrono in mid April and I'm getting confused reading all the equipment posts! :? I've got a long 'altus type' poncho (a thinner one), and was thinking of taking a cheap rain jacket as well to wear to keep the wind off and if it's cold but not actually raining. I can't imagine walking around in the long poncho unless it's raining, and I don't think it would be very warm. What do you think? Is two too much?
Second question: I've done two 'bits' of the Frances before, and both times it was hot and dry and I had to carry most of my clothes (and I cursed my expensive rainjacket, raintrousers, pack cover as they were quite heavy). So I was planning to bring just 2 short sleeved t-shirts and a fleece (and the cheap rain jacket and poncho). Now I'm reading posts about freezing weather on the meseta and needing to bring warm long sleeved tops/thermals.
I suppose it can either be hot or cold, wet or dry and I have to be prepared for everything.
My clothes list is: walking trousers (on); capri trousers; 2 short sleeved t-shirts (one on); fleece; raincoat ('kag in the bag' from Black's (UK)); poncho; thin thermal top and leggings to sleep in; hat; 3 pants and socks; 1 bra. I don't want to bring raintrousers this time - I thought my legs can just get wet.
Any comments or advice gratefully accepted :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
marigold said:
I've got a long 'altus type' poncho (a thinner one), and was thinking of taking a cheap rain jacket as well to wear to keep the wind off and if it's cold but not actually raining... What do you think? Is two too much?
No, both are useful, also because your rain jacket will keep you warm when the weather is colder. Two layers of light clothing underneath will do the job: remember that you'll be perspiring when walking.
Ultreya!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Marigold!
Like elsewhere in life, "sod's law" operates on the camino. If you take wet clothes, it won't rain. If you DON'T take them, it sure will! On that basis I always take rain gear, and it's almost always sunny.
My backpack contains similar items to yours ... but I'm not taking a bra :D
Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

I think mid April you can get by taking a light waterproof wind breaker jacket and a light weight poncho.

The jacket provides some additional warmth and protects you from the possible damp cool days you will encounter and the occasional light rainy day.

On these types of days you can use a simple pack cover to keep the mist and light rain off your pack, etc

The poncho will protect you and your pack when it really rains and pours

Pack covers only work so well and under heavy rain, the water will pool between you and your pack, meaning it will soak into your pack and get your clothes wet.

I have done 4 pilgrim paths under all conditions and this system has served me well

Thank you all for your advice. Slight hitch! I've just tried on my poncho with a full rucksack and it doesn't really fit! I used it over a daypack before - much smaller. Oh well, it will keep some of the rain off and as long as I don't move my arms it should be ok! Maybe it won't rain!! :wink:
Can I buy an Altus poncho in Burgos?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I'm leaving 11th July for 6 weeks taking the Frances route. I'm trying to keep my pack weight down and I'm toying with the idea of taking neither jacket or poncho... Is that a totally mad idea?
I've looked here and watched forecasts, if it rains, it's still going to be hot, either garment is going to be like walking in a sauna, so maybe best to save the weight in walk without. In the Spanish heat I'll be dry in minutes once the rain stops anyway...

What do you think....madness?

Personally, I'm not taking either. I'll take a garbage bag to put over my pack to keep it dry if I get caught in the rain and then I'll walk to the next town and hole up until the weather clears. I don't do walking in the rain for long distances. :)

You can always buy something along the way if you find you run into a batch of really nasty weather.

no poncho for the summer is fine...but no jacket is risky....if you are determined to take that route....go to boots the chemisy and buy 2 emergency poncho....the region of galicia is wetter than manchester.Better still get a £10.00 rain jacket they wrap up into nothing and weight less than 100 grms...they are a usefull extra layer on the big "OC" and the pyrennes.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola JAMC,
We use Rohan ponchos, now called Canopy Capes and in now 2 lengths. Poppered sides allow for some air flow, short poppered sleeves now provide better arm cover. Ours went on well over our full packs. I have tried one of the new ponchos on as a test, but without my pack and personally would prefer the longer length. They are very expensive, but very good. If you want to try one on, and over your pack, should be able to find a shop near you if you look on-line.
http://www.rohan.co.uk/Category/Detail/MensWaterproofs
Womens are identical
We also use fleeces and never take jackets - too heavy
Buen Camino

Thanks for the advice, my poncho has poppers, ventilation and hangs well over my pack but I wore it the other day to stand around in the rain in and I was boiling hot...gawd knows how I'd feel if I had to walk in it....likewise with my lightweight rainjacket, with a pack on top, it was still very hot n sweaty... Hopeful Spain won't be as cold as Manchester! (lol)

I've not yet walked the Camino, but in my research and in talking with some serious backpaking friends, here's my plan. O2 rainsuit (used by many cyclists - super lightweight, waterproof and breathable), Osprey Packcover, and have my pack lined with garbage bag. We'll see if this plan is good or bad once I am on the Camino and it rains......but that's my story right now. The O2 suit is VERY YELLOW, not much of a fashion statement- but it does breath and is very lightweight.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.