• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jacket or coat?

A camino without a coat or jacket?

• I have always taken a coat or jacket with me and happy I did so

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • I have always taken a coat or jacket with me, but it wasn't always necessary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I sometimes take a coat or jacket with me, depending on season or location

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I have never taken a coat or jacket with me and sometimes regretted it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never taken a coat or jacket with me and happy I didn't

• I used to take a coat or jacket with me, now I don't

• I didn't take a coat or jacket with me, now I do

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Luka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Next: Camino Sanabrés (May 2024)
It may sound strange but until now I have never taken a jacket or coat with me om my pilgrimages. I have mostly been walking for three or four weeks.

- northern France in August
- the middle of France in September
- southern Spain in May
- northern Spain in August

Now I am counting down the days to my Big Journey: from May till July from Paray le Monial (250 kms north of Le Puy) to Santiago. And now for the first time I am doubting about bringing a coat or jacket. Just because I am not walking for three of four weeks now, but for almost three months.

Until now I have always managed with layers: merino shirt, merino long sleeve and fleece sweater. If rain, Altus poncho. Yes, it has been cold sometimes in the morning. It was a question of walking in a firm pace and resting inside instead of outside. Good to add: I don't like wearing coats or jackets.

So why am I doubting now? Any experience on walking without a coat or jacket? If not, which coat or jacket?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Maybe you are doubting because it's the middle of winter in northern Europe right now, and hard to imagine how much warmer things are going to be in a few months… The length of your walk shouldn't make a difference, unless there's some overlap with winter months, and that isn't the case here. I think that May-July should be warm enough in France and Spain to go with your usual 'layers' approach! ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am considering leaving my fleece at home. As another poster said, "am I daft?"
It's cozy but bulky and I have short and long sleeved shirts to layer plus a rain jacket.
I know I won't hike in fleece so it would just be used at night.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Everything depends on the season. I walk in early Spring March/April. My morning begins in t-shirt and fleece. Usually stripping to just a t-shirt as the day goes on. I would never walk without rain gear in any season.

Ultreya,
Joe

I can only share my wife's and my experience based on one Camino,July 3 to August 9, 2014 (SJPP to Finestere). I took only a rain jacket that doubled as a warmth layer. My wife took a poncho, and therefore also took a fleece jacket (probabaly similar warmth to your merino wool sweater). We both had stocking hats of some type (for me, a stocking hat has the equivalent warmth of another layer, for a fraction of the weight--odd but true). That was plenty for both of us (only time we were really cold the whole trip was Roncevalles, because they have no blankets there).

But you are starting earlier, and starting further way, so your mileage may varry.

I am considering leaving my fleece at home. As another poster said, "am I daft?"
It's cozy but bulky and I have short and long sleeved shirts to layer plus a rain jacket.
I know I won't hike in fleece so it would just be used at night.
Ahhhs,

What time of year are you walking, and from where to where?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ahhhs,

What time of year are you walking, and from where to where?
Late April, May, part of June this year. From SJpdp to Santiago.

Ahhhs,

I am generally reluctant to suggest taking more of anything, but I know my wife loved having her fleece (North Face Monkey Fleece, to be specific) along later in the season when it is generally warmer. Indeed, it is the only thing she had with her on the Camino that was not relegated to the "I'm sick of this and will never wear it again" pile upon returning. Although I'd want more opinions from those who have walked that time of the year, I have no doubt my wife would take hers for a Camino in May.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I carry a rain jacket and light fleece. In 2010 I mostly worn the fleece in the mornings as an extra layer. Last year it seemed windier, and I regularly used the rain jacket instead, and took it off after an hour or so.

In summer, the downside of the jacket, compared to a poncho, is that the jacket won't give you the same air circulation. It will keep you warmer, which might not be what you want to achieve.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Leaving my fleece home? Never! I love something warm and fluffy.
OK, I will stick to my old layer plan: merino T-shirt, merino long sleeve, fleece and rainponcho. No jacket.

Wow Luka, that will be some great adventure!

I have walked in October/beginning November, July and August and in February and the only time I took a jacket (a shell) was from Sevilla in February last year. I look a poncho (without arms) in the fall and last February which except for a few days in February stayed at the bottom of my pack. I have been VERY lucky with weather on all my Caminos.

Even in February I only had on one thin, long-sleeve wool undershirt and my jacket. That was it. At night I had a thin fleece and scarf. I never was cold. You will be going much later in the season so I would think that you would be fine without a jacket. If it rains you have a poncho and the Altus has sleeves.

Can imagine that you are counting the days. Hoe heb je zo veel vrije dagen???

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I bring a (rain)jacket and a shell jacket. Up to now i walked in may and in sept/start october and from mid sept onwards it starts getting colder earlier at night, so when eating/drinking outside or in the shade, both jackets were really needed from time to time.
The same goes for the mornings from mid sept onwards. Early morning can start to get cold.

I can imagine that France might be a bit colder in the first part of your walk.

Buen camino en goede reis!!

Last edited:
This weekend I did a little Camino training and found another reason not to bring a jacket. The sound of my pack rubbing against my wintercoat...

I traveling on September 2nd. I was planning on using a wind shirt. This could be combined with long sleeve undershirts and long sleeve guide shirt. It would seem as if those would be enough for that time of year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.