• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jaizkibel - Irun to Pasajes

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
We started our Camino del Norte this morning. We stayed in Hendaye, and at dawn crossed the bridge.
Before we left Australia, and also while we were walking in France, we were given the message that the first stage, in particular climbing up to Jaizkibel was "hard". Sometimes we heard: very hard.
The path from the Ermita Santiago to Ermita Guadalupe was very ravined, which meant we had to watch our step. But apart from that we enjoyed every bit of the stage, and didn't find it any harder than many stages we had walked previously.
For example, it was on par with the path from Yenne to St-Maurice-de-Rotherens, the climb out of Monistrol d'Allier, the ones out of Conques and Cahors.
If you haven't experienced those sort of walks and terrain, then I understand you might find it hard.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, AJ,
So excited to watch your progress on the Norte, and especially your reaction to the coastal alternatives. Wjy don't you start a live from the Norte thread? Or I could turn this one into it, if you would rather. Did you find the GR after Pasajes?

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi, AJ,
So excited to watch your progress on the Norte, and especially your reaction to the coastal alternatives. Wjy don't you start a live from the Norte thread? Or I could turn this one into it, if you would rather. Did you find the GR after Pasajes?

Buen camino, Laurie

Hola Laurie, I'll try to start a live from the Norte thread.
After Pasajes there were no problems finding the GR.
We did the Ruta del Flysch: fantastic views, beautiful scenery.... and lots of mud after two days rain, which made it hard going. I even slipped at one stage, and Rachel thought I would be going down the cliff... :eek:
Which also means she now has severe doubts about going from Oriñon to Laredo via the cliff route described by Luka.
We'll see...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Laurie, I'll try to start a live from the Norte thread.
After Pasajes there were no problems finding the GR.
We did the Ruta del Flysch: fantastic views, beautiful scenery.... and lots of mud after two days rain, which made it hard going. I even slipped at one stage, and Rachel thought I would be going down the cliff... :eek:
Which also means she now has severe doubts about going from Oriñon to Laredo via the cliff route described by Luka.
We'll see...
Well, that Oriñon cliff route did look a bit hairy, I am glad you must have seen the posts by @trecile and others. But you can get a big chunk of coast if you go through Liendo and then up to the coast. You can see from Gronze's schematic map how much you would miss. https://www.gronze.com/etapa/castro-urdiales/laredo

You've still got some time to ponder this! Buen camino, Laurie

Well, that Oriñon cliff route did look a bit hairy, I am glad you must have seen the posts by @trecile and others. But you can get a big chunk of coast if you go through Liendo and then up to the coast. You can see from Gronze's schematic map how much you would miss. https://www.gronze.com/etapa/castro-urdiales/laredo

You've still got some time to ponder this! Buen camino, Laurie

I have two limitations: a) I have booked accommodation at Oriñon, b) I have to limit the distance in that stage, otherwise I'll have an unhappy wife.
So if we don't do the cliff route, we'll get to the N634 from Oriñon, follow it for about 3.5km, make our way to Ermita de San Julian on country roads, and then take the coast path.
And believe me, I have been pondering this a lot :)

We’re in Mogro - also loving the coastal alternatives. The 33+ from Santander to Boo was a little intimidating so we stayed in a lovely hotel in Liencres last night, Hostal La Picota. Liencres is only approx 2 km from the coast and approx 11 km from Boo (no Albergue in Liencres). Wonderful walk after Liencres though (sadly) we saw a poor dog that may have had rabies as it looked in very bad shape, was frothing around mouth and staggered away into the bushes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.