• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jakobsweg, Fulda to Trier

futurefjp

Camino enthusiast.
Time of past OR future Camino
Two things:

Firstly: I'm going to walk the section of the Jakobsweg from Fulda towards Trier from the start of Lent 2020. Flying to Köln on the 23rd February and setting off on Ash Wednesday. Last time I walked at Lent was in France and it was easy to find accommodation, even off season, but the few times I've tried Germany I've found myself quickly worrying about the cost of Gasthaus, etc: but I'm sure I'll find a way?

And secondly, does anyone in the UK, particularly Yorkshire (Harrogate, Leeds or York) walk the Camino routes and wish to meet up to share tall tales?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @futurefjp I haven't walked that way in Germany, but, just in case you don't know it here is a great site with lots of information http://www.deutsche-jakobswege.de/wege-uebersicht.html the way you are planning to walk is here: http://www.jakobswege-europa.de/wege/fulda-mainz.htm In the bottom right corner are some links to the local German amigos whose sites have also some information.

As for accommodation: I frequently asked in the local parishes if I could camp out in their parish center or similar. I carried a sleeping pad and was also otherwise self-sufficient. I was rarely turned down and have lovely memories of this 'impromptu' accommodations!

BC SY

Hi @futurefjp I haven't walked that way in Germany, but, just in case you don't know it here is a great site with lots of information http://www.deutsche-jakobswege.de/wege-uebersicht.html the way you are planning to walk is here: http://www.jakobswege-europa.de/wege/fulda-mainz.htm In the bottom right corner are some links to the local German amigos whose sites have also some information.

As for accommodation: I frequently asked in the local parishes if I could camp out in their parish center or similar. I carried a sleeping pad and was also otherwise self-sufficient. I was rarely turned down and have lovely memories of this 'impromptu' accommodations!

BC SY
The one time I did this previously: over Christmas 2013, the same was true! Thanks for the reminder. I'll definitely pack my sleeping mat.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Futurefjp,
I am responsible for the final peace of the "Hessischer Jakobsweg" until you cross the Theodor-Heuss bridge between Wiesbaden and Mainz. If you need some assistance for accomodations between Frankfurt and Mainz, feel free to contact me. I would be also interested in some feedback that I would give directly to my fellow "camino godfathers".

Hello @futurefjp
You might like to have a look at the Bonifatius Route as an alternative to walking the Jacobsweg from Fulda to Mainz. I walked this route as an extension of the Oekumenical Weg from Görlitz to Frankfurt am Main in Sept-Oct, 2019. The Bonifatius route spends less time in built up areas than the Jacobsweg. It is rural, in the woods and nature much of the time. It passes through a celtic archeological park near Glauburg . I found somewhere to sleep each night by introducing myself to people I met along the way, by enquiring at municipal offices and church offices.

The tourist office in Fulda suggested I follow the Bonifatius Route rather than the Jacobsweg. They gave me a water resistant strip map of the route. Information can be found here:

Guide book + credential

FAQ

Cheers
Lovingkindness
Übersichtskarte_BonifatiusRoute.jpg

Last edited:
The Bonifatius Route is also an interesting alternative, that is true. Many parts of the Hessischer Jakobsweg and Bonifatius Route share the same ways, the big exception is the city of Frankfurt. So if you are not interested in the only german skyline of international bank skyscrapers, the riverbanks of the Main and some other historical places in this city, then the Bonifatius Route is the better idea. Here is a link to the map:
https://www.rmv.de/c/fileadmin/docu...ain-Vergnuegen_Bonifatius-Route_Karte_ALT.pdf
My supported piece of the Jakobsweg between Hochheim and Mainz-Kastel and the Bonifatius Route is completely the same.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello @futurefjp
You might like to have a look at the Bonifatius Route as an alternative to walking the Jacobsweg from Fulda to Mainz. I walked this route as an extension of the Oekumenical Weg from Görlitz to Frankfurt am Main in Sept-Oct, 2019. The Bonifatius route spends less time in built up areas than the Jacobsweg. It is rural, in the woods and nature much of the time. It passes through a celtic archeological park near Glauburg . I found somewhere to sleep each night by introducing myself to people I met along the way, by enquiring at municipal offices and church offices.

The tourist office in Fulda suggested I follow the Bonifatius Route rather than the Jacobsweg. They gave me a water resistant strip map of the route. Information can be found here:

Guide book + credential

FAQ

Cheers
Lovingkindness
View attachment 69373
Sounds like a plan!

The Bonifatius Route is also an interesting alternative, that is true. Many parts of the Hessischer Jakobsweg and Bonifatius Route share the same ways, the big exception is the city of Frankfurt. So if you are not interested in the only german skyline of international bank skyscrapers, the riverbanks of the Main and some other historical places in this city, then the Bonifatius Route is the better idea. Here is a link to the map:
https://www.rmv.de/c/fileadmin/docu...ain-Vergnuegen_Bonifatius-Route_Karte_ALT.pdf
My supported piece of the Jakobsweg between Hochheim and Mainz-Kastel and the Bonifatius Route is completely the same.
I will definitely be in touch.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Do let me know if you are coming this way. Would be glad to meet up with you and walk for a bit.
There are 3 churches in Frankfurt that might be worth your while to see as they were and are part of the Jakobsweg. The most important one is St. Leonhard's (built 1219) which just reopened after being closed since 2011. Under the original floor, they found what they believe was a chapel to St. James, and that the church today was built specifically to be a major stop for the Jakobsweg. Across the river walking the Alte Brücke is the Deutche Ordern church where you can get your pass stamped. You then head along the Main, walking through Niederad which has a St. Jakobs church. Eventually, you get to Höchst. Take the ferry across to St. Justinus, which is also a Jakobweg stop. This church was built in 850 and has a lot of its original architecture. This is where I get my 1st stamp before heading to Spain, etc.

Do let me know if you are coming this way. Would be glad to meet up with you and walk for a bit.
There are 3 churches in Frankfurt that might be worth your while to see as they were and are part of the Jakobsweg. The most important one is St. Leonhard's (built 1219) which just reopened after being closed since 2011. Under the original floor, they found what they believe was a chapel to St. James, and that the church today was built specifically to be a major stop for the Jakobsweg. Across the river walking the Alte Brücke is the Deutche Ordern church where you can get your pass stamped. You then head along the Main, walking through Niederad which has a St. Jakobs church. Eventually, you get to Höchst. Take the ferry across to St. Justinus, which is also a Jakobweg stop. This church was built in 850 and has a lot of its original architecture. This is where I get my 1st stamp before heading to Spain, etc.
I will be following the Saint Boniface route I think, which doesn't bring me to Frankfurt, bit I will detour to Frankfurt as I've a "horse" to meet too.

Maybe some dates that you would like to consider when you come to Frankfurt:

- March 17th at 19:00: Pilgrim regular's table at the punctum
Here you can meet German pilgrims from the Hessian St. Jakobusgesellschaft (St. James association) and other pilgrims sharing their experiences.
- March 19th at 18:30: Pilgrim service in the open church Mutter vom Guten Rat (Weinbergkapelle), Bruchfeldstraße 51, Frankfurt-Niederrad

I do not know whether this fits to your time schedule. Please let me know when you reach Mainz-Kostheim, maybe we can meet personally on that day.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Maybe some dates that you would like to consider when you come to Frankfurt:

- March 17th at 19:00: Pilgrim regular's table at the punctum
Here you can meet German pilgrims from the Hessian St. Jakobusgesellschaft (St. James association) and other pilgrims sharing their experiences.
- March 19th at 18:30: Pilgrim service in the open church Mutter vom Guten Rat (Weinbergkapelle), Bruchfeldstraße 51, Frankfurt-Niederrad

I do not know whether this fits to your time schedule. Please let me know when you reach Mainz-Kostheim, maybe we can meet personally on that day.

Buen Camino!
I think I'll be too early for those dates, but thanks.

I will be following the Saint Boniface route I think, which doesn't bring me to Frankfurt, bit I will detour to Frankfurt as I've a "horse" to meet too.
Hello @futurefjp
I have put together a simple resource covering aspects of my walk from Görlitz to Frankfurt am Main in 2019. There may be something useful in it for you. Included are the stages walked, overnighting possibilities and general bits of this and that along the Bonifatius Route (Fulda onwards).

Resource : https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/germany-görlitz-frankfurt-am-main-2019.746/ (log in to download)

Guten Weg, Pilger! Have a wonderful adventure.

Cheers
Lovingkindness

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Finalising my plans. I hope to stay in Fulda Tuesday night and set off Wednesday. Not walked during Lent for a few years so I am a little frightened ... It's only February afterall. Reach out to me on the way if you can! I've everything I need in terms of equipment and commitment, but I know things can happen at this time of year which put a "fly in the ointment"...

The weather is horrible here right now. Rain expected all week, with perhaps some snow on Thur. High winds this week too.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
The weather is horrible here right now. Rain expected all week, with perhaps some snow on Thur. High winds this week too.
I had that last year in Spain - La Mancha was extremely tough! Mental or mentally prepared I don't know?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The cheapest that I found ist the Jugendherberge:

Jugendherberge Fulda
Schirrmannstr. 31
36041 Fulda Neuenberg
Phone: 0661 73389

Should be around 34 Euros inclusive breakfast

Hello @futurefjp
I have put together a simple resource covering aspects of my walk from Görlitz to Frankfurt am Main in 2019. There may be something useful in it for you. Included are the stages walked, overnighting possibilities and general bits of this and that along the Bonifatius Route (Fulda onwards).

Resource : https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/germany-görlitz-frankfurt-am-main-2019.746/ (log in to download)

Guten Weg, Pilger! Have a wonderful adventure.

Cheers
Lovingkindness
Did you sleep at Barmherzigen Schwestern vom hl. Vinzenz von Paul?

The cheapest that I found ist the Jugendherberge:

Jugendherberge Fulda
Schirrmannstr. 31
36041 Fulda Neuenberg
Phone: 0661 73389

Should be around 34 Euros inclusive breakfast
Sounds a little pricy for me...

Isn't there a Kloster?

Or the monastery in Fulda for some coins more:
Abtei Fulda
Sr. Gertrud
Benediktinerinnenabtei zur Hl. Maria
Nonnengasse 16
36037 Fulda
Tel. 0661/9024516
gastsein@abtei-fulda.de

It is 45 Euros there

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Officially at booking.com this is more than 100 Euros per day. I saw they have a german boyscout tent in the garden, but it seems not be available for sleeping there.
Franziskanerkloster Frauenberg
Am Frauenberg 1
36039 Fulda
Tel.: 0661 / 10 95-0
eMail: fulda@franziskaner.de
Web: www.kloster-frauenberg.de

I have found this on a list of the Fränkische St. Jakobus-Gesellschaft

Some privat room that you have to call for: D. Stitz; 36039 Fulda; 0162-6502285, but I have no further info

Did you sleep at Barmherzigen Schwestern vom hl. Vinzenz von Paul?

Hello @futurefjp
In Fulda there is a pilgerherberge at Abtei St. Maria. Contact the Sisters beforehand, by phone if you can.

Abtei St. Maria
Nonnengasse 16
36037 Fulda
Tel. 0661/9024516

Other places to enquire in Fulda:

Diakoniezentrum Fulda gGmbH:
Am Rosengarten 20
36037 Fulda

Caritasverband für die Diözese Fulda
Wilhelmsrasse 2
36037 Fulda
+49 661 24280

…. Yes, I stayed with the Barmherzigen Schwestern. It was a pleasure.

Cheers LK

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello @futurefjp
In Fulda there is a pilgerherberge at Abtei St. Maria. Contact the Sisters beforehand, by phone if you can.

Abtei St. Maria
Nonnengasse 16
36037 Fulda
Tel. 0661/9024516

Other places to enquire in Fulda:

Diakoniezentrum Fulda gGmbH:
Am Rosengarten 20
36037 Fulda

Caritasverband für die Diözese Fulda
Wilhelmsrasse 2
36037 Fulda
+49 661 24280

…. Yes, I stayed with the Barmherzigen Schwestern. It was a pleasure.

Cheers LK
Thanks for the advice, but I went to the Frauenberg Kloster...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
On Sunday I hope to be at the event being held in Frankfurt

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Is there anywhere to stay in Sachsenhausen?

Is there anywhere to stay in Sachsenhausen?
Hi @futurefjp
… a pilger on his way to Rome stayed here:

Frankfurt-Sachsenhausen
Deutschordenshaus
Brückenstraße 3A
069 60503120

Somewhere else to enquire:

Diakoniestationen
Gartenstr. 71
60596, Frankfurt am Main, Sachsenhausen
phone: 069 6 05 96

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
And now a fly has landed on my ointment...

Tomorrow there is a pilgrims fair in Frankfurt being run by the Jakobus Hessen. It's on from 11 until 5. Vamonos 2020. It would be a good place to go to get a better plan of pilgerherbergen after Frankfurt towards Trier.

This means I can't really walk tomorrow as there is no way I'll be able to walk into Frankfurt in only two or three hours from my destination today. I may need to stay closer to Frankfurt or something ... Advice?

I may have to catch a train this evening.

Last edited:
There is a place to stay in Gelnhausen so I will catch the train tomorrow and hook up with the people who are part of the Jakobus Hessen.

Gelnhausen is famous for its cider aka Apfelwein. I may sleep all afternoon and evening now because I'm tired from the bells in Salmünster and my rucksack is just too heavy with all the extras I was left this morning!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry, I was not keeping up on your posts at all. Hope you have found a place to sleep tonight.

I'm half way from Bad Vilbel to Höchst - where I hope to stop this evening. Is there anywhere there for pilgers? There is a Pfarrheim - what is one of these?

A Pfarrheim is where the minister or priest lives. It is right next to the Justinus church. If you are following the Nidda river, it runs into the Main River in Höchst and you will see the Justinus church up on sort of a bluff, to your right. I don't know if there are any cheap places to stay in Höchst, but let me look. Request for info is posted on FB, so hope to have an answer for you soon.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Didn't anyone you met in Frankfurt offer a couch to sleep on or give you an idea? There doesn't seem to be anything in Höchst that is budget. About 60€ is the cheapest, but we are still looking

Didn't anyone you met in Frankfurt offer a couch to sleep on or give you an idea? There doesn't seem to be anything in Höchst that is budget. About 60€ is the cheapest, but we are still looking
No they didn't. They seemed at a loss to find a place in Höchst. A bit strange considering it is on the route they're using?

Germany is much more difficult than France, Spain, Portugal.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Some said Airbnb. The priest for Niederad couldn't help either. So much for solidarity?

wow. Air bnb isn't that popular here.
No help from anyone so far. Höchst is place that is a bit different. Very pretty though.

There are several hostels in Frankfurt, so those are your best bet for tonight. A&O at Gallus Warte, 5 Elements and Frankfurt Hostel near the main station, and the Jugendherberge on the river.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
wow. Air bnb isn't that popular here.
No help from anyone so far. Höchst is place that is a bit different. Very pretty though.

There are several hostels in Frankfurt, so those are your best bet for tonight. A&O at Gallus Warte, 5 Elements and Frankfurt Hostel near the main station, and the Jugendherberge on the river.
Is there anywhere further on from Höchst?

Hello Futurefjp,
I am responsible for the final peace of the "Hessischer Jakobsweg" until you cross the Theodor-Heuss bridge between Wiesbaden and Mainz. If you need some assistance for accomodations between Frankfurt and Mainz, feel free to contact me. I would be also interested in some feedback that I would give directly to my fellow "camino godfathers".
I need accommodation around Höchst this evening.

There may be someone around the church, Höchst is still pretty catholic. If there isn't anyone at St. Justinus, walk 2 blocks to St. Josefs. It is usually open until 18:00 I think and there are always people there. There is a mass at St. Josefs at 19:00. Hostato Str. 12

There may be someone around the church, Höchst is still pretty catholic. If there isn't anyone at St. Justinus, walk 2 blocks to St. Josefs. It is usually open until 18:00 I think and there are always people there. There is a mass at St. Josefs at 19:00. Hostato Str. 12
I timed it just about right! Now I'm a little further next to a Saint Bartholomew church in a village called Zeilsheim.

I must say the Hessen way is a bit fragmented. If I wasn't persistent I'd be screwed!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Maybe you could try the Kolpingfamilie.
Holzstraße 19, 55116 Mainz, T: +496131 286880

Maybe they could help. My father was catholic and did use that network (before it was used to call so) to get along with some parts of his life. The Kolpingwerk is useful in many cases. Try it, maybe they can solve your problem of accomodation on your Jakobsweg.

Or you try your luck at the Katholisches Pfarramt St. Stephan, Kleine Weissgasse 12, open Mo -Fr 10 -12h and 15 -17h, there you can get a stamp, too. Maybe they can show you an accomodation.

Good luck on your walk today.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Maybe you could try the Kolpingfamilie.
Holzstraße 19, 55116 Mainz, T: +496131 286880

Maybe they could help. My father was catholic and did use that network (before it was used to call so) to get along with some parts of his life. The Kolpingwerk is useful in many cases. Try it, maybe they can solve your problem of accomodation on your Jakobsweg.

Or you try your luck at the Katholisches Pfarramt St. Stephan, Kleine Weissgasse 12, open Mo -Fr 10 -12h and 15 -17h, there you can get a stamp, too. Maybe they can show you an accomodation.
I don't want to sleep on chairs again! I'm too old and, currently, in too much pain!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Signs are not that good visible in Mainz, just head for the Dom. The picture shows the Maaraue close to the mouth of River Main to River Rhine

When you reach Bingen, you should go to the Eiscafé Rialto in Neugasse 6. It offers the best italian ice cream in the whole region. My family and me are real addicts.

When you reach Bingen, you should go to the Eiscafé Rialto in Neugasse 6. It offers the best italian ice cream in the whole region. My family and me are real addicts.
Thanks, but ice-cream is something outside my budget for the day!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back