• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jakobsweg in Germany: Eisenach to Trier - need advice

Wojtek

Time of past OR future Camino
Past (2014-2015) Lublin-Krakow-Wroclaw-Gorlitz-Leipzig
Future (2016-2018) Leipzig-Trier-Vezelay-Spain
by bike
Hello to everybody!
I am on my Way from Lublin (Poland) to Santiago by bike. Until now I traveled a 1/4 of the way (Lublin-Sandomierz-Kraków-Wrocław-Gorlitz-Leipzig). This summer I want to continue by Via Regia from Leipzig to Eisenach. So far Via Regia was an excellent and wonderful experience with a very good accomodation facilities (herbergen). As I heard from German pilgrims, in western Germany real herbergen dedicated for pilgrims are rare. Just now I am considering which way to choose after reaching Eisenach, with three options: 1. Marburg-Koln-Trier (Elizabethpfad+Via Colonensis) 2. Marburg-Wetzelar-Lahnstein-Trier (Lahn Camino + Mosel Camino) or 3. Vacha-Fulda-Mainz-Bingen-Trier. So far my first choice is nr1, mainly because of architecture and spiritual values of Koln (?). I have also collected some information about accomodation on this way which looks promising (I prefer herbergen not hostels etc). Number 2, as I have found, is not so good as a matter of accomodation and still lacking information about Marburg-Wetzelar stage. Any information about the third option, which is my worst choise (passing Frankfurt seems not attractive to me...). Anyway I need advice from any German or other pilgrims - which way will be the most appropriate for a bike pilgrim searching for spiritual, cultural as well as landscape values, but also with cheap accomodation (herbergen or church institutions...). Where to get info about Marburg-Wetzlar and Vacha-Trier accomodation. I do not speak German, but could translate a little bit.
buen camino, gute Weg, dobrej drogi!
Wojtek
PS If anyone need information about Polish Ways I can share it with you!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Anyway I need advice f...

The spectacular cathedral in Cologne (Köln) was itself a destination of pilgrimage for centuries, and by itself makes Cologne (Köln) a great itinerary. On the other hand, I think the Mosel route is well-supplied with lodging, and has lovely landscape. Have you looked at the "yellow book" German language guides for lodging information on these route choices? Also I suggest you contact by PM: Lovingkindness (has walked in this area) and SYates (native German speaker residing in Prague), both are members of this forum.

Hello to everybody!
I am on my Way from Lublin (Poland) to Santiago by bike. Until now I traveled a 1/4 of the way (Lublin-Sandomierz-Kraków-Wrocław-Gorlitz-Leipzig). This summer I want to continue by Via Regia from Leipzig to Eisenach. So far Via Regia was an excellent and wonderful experience with a very good accomodation facilities (herbergen). As I heard from German pilgrims, in western Germany real herbergen dedicated for pilgrims are rare. Just now I am considering which way to choose after reaching Eisenach, with three options: 1. Marburg-Koln-Trier (Elizabethpfad+Via Colonensis) 2. Marburg-Wetzelar-Lahnstein-Trier (Lahn Camino + Mosel Camino) or 3. Vacha-Fulda-Mainz-Bingen-Trier. So far my first choice is nr1, mainly because of architecture and spiritual values of Koln (?). I have also collected some information about accomodation on this way which looks promising (I prefer herbergen not hostels etc). Number 2, as I have found, is not so good as a matter of accomodation and still lacking information about Marburg-Wetzelar stage. Any information about the third option, which is my worst choise (passing Frankfurt seems not attractive to me...). Anyway I need advice from any German or other pilgrims - which way will be the most appropriate for a bike pilgrim searching for spiritual, cultural as well as landscape values, but also with cheap accomodation (herbergen or church institutions...). Where to get info about Marburg-Wetzlar and Vacha-Trier accomodation. I do not speak German, but could translate a little bit.
buen camino, gute Weg, dobrej drogi!
Wojtek
PS If anyone need information about Polish Ways I can share it with you!
Hi Wojtec. I walked the Via Regia as far as Vacha and loved it. A friend of mine went as far as Fulda. This is a good route and well served with pilgrim friendly accommodation. Frankfurt is horrendous and to be avoided. The Elisabeth Pfsd is meant to be a good pilgrim option and the Mosel path is beautiful but constant ups and downs. I am at a loss like you...I would personally favour option 1 with a bike. Hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.