• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jakobsweg/ Via Jacobi Switzerland from Rorschach to Geneva

Henley

Time of past OR future Camino
Santiago (15)
Hello,

I am walking/hiking the Via Jacobi starting on the 8th of June and am wondering where the best places to stay over an extra night are. I had originally planned for 30 days and have since discovered it is only 20-24 days so I'm looking to find where it would be worth staying an extra night to rest up my legs. Anyplace with amazing beauty or a significant tourist attraction or a really nice place to stay. I'd love to speak to anyone who has completed the trail. Another option would be to continue on through France for a week and so if anyone has done this then I am eager to learn about it. Thanks!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the Via Jacobi last year, it was part of my 'little stroll across Europe' ;-) There are lots of places I can recommend for a rest day depending what you are interested in: St.Gallen, Einsiedeln, Flueli/Stans, Interlaken, Fribourg, Lausanne and obviously Geneva itself!

Buen Camino! SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello,

I am walking/hiking the Via Jacobi starting on the 8th of June and am wondering where the best places to stay over an extra night are. I had originally planned for 30 days and have since discovered it is only 20-24 days so I'm looking to find where it would be worth staying an extra night to rest up my legs. Anyplace with amazing beauty or a significant tourist attraction or a really nice place to stay. I'd love to speak to anyone who has completed the trail. Another option would be to continue on through France for a week and so if anyone has done this then I am eager to learn about it. Thanks!
blessed you for pilgriming through those amazing places. would love to read about it or see photos if you intend on sharing it via a blog or somesuch ...
saluti - et buen camino

I enjoy water sports and any kind of side hike that can't be missed. Any charming towns or impressive museums/ tourist sites are also of interest to me (though they would have to demand the whole day as I plan on seeing a lot anyway when I finish my hike at the end of the day. Is that a little ambitious? I will look at your blogs now.
blessed you for pilgriming through those amazing places. would love to read about it or see photos if you intend on sharing it via a blog or somesuch ...
saluti - et buen camino

I will be putting together a guide and blog and will post here once I have the link :)

I'm not sure but that the original 30-day estimate is actually accurate. Anyhow, I walked the Via Jacobi from Konstanz to Einsiedeln in 2013, and hope to continue to Lausanne this September. Einsiedeln, and to a less extent Rapperswill, are truly worth an extra day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,

Hi Henley, I walked this route in August/Sept 2013 and you will find an account on my blog as well as link to pics. www.gittiharre.blogspot.com
My favourite little town was Rapperswil and the pilgrim hostel there is exquisite. In fact I would make full use of the pilgrim hostels as it is a huge financial relief to stay there and they are fabulous. I was glad not to have stayed at Gland though...see blog.
I also walked the route from Geneva to Le Puy and can warmly recommend it. This is also on my blog.

Hi Henley,

I'm living just aside the Jakobsweg around Amsoldingen (Thun).
So if you need practical help, don't hesitate to contact me.
May I ask where are you from?
Mountain side, big city, or flat country side?

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

When we hit Lausanne, we looked at the trail to Geneva, and hopped on a ferry boat. It was a nice scenic ride and eliminated some fairly urban trail.

From there the trail out of Geneva into France was very nice, and we celebrated the cheaper French prices with a feast. The trail in France to LePuy is not an authentic, traditional route but they have done a good job with it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A selection of Camino Jewellery
JD, I start from Einsiedeln on 7 September. What can I expect for weather along the Via Jacobi at that time of year?
Hello Kitsambler,

Summer will be fading away, so:
  • Days are shorter.
  • Nights will be cold (temperature decrease of around 1°C per 100 m climb), may be days too.
  • You could enjoy beautiful sunny autumn days, with warm light and 20-24 °C.
  • You will have to fight against rain and wind.
  • You can even get some snow over 1000 m
The first part (from Einsielden to Bern/Fribourg) is in the Alps, the weather can and will change very quickly.
The second part (from Fribourg to Geneva) is lower in altitude, on the so called "Plateau" (don't think it's flat like the meseta...), where the weather is more predictable.

In any case, check the forecasts in the newspapers, internet or ask the locals.

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/forecast/week/einsiedeln_switzerland_2660925
http://www.meteoswiss.admin.ch/home.html?tab=overview

Buen Camino,
Jacques-D.

I know this comes to late for Henley, but here is a suggestion for a rest day more or less along the way:
from Brienz take the old steam boat across the lake to Grandhotel Giessbach and enjoy a rest day at their natural pool, a gorgeous waterfall and an excellent hotel restaurant; the next day continue from there or take the boat to Interlaken.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
This is my fifth year walking Europe’s pilgrimage routes and Switzerland is the fourth country I have walked in (not counting the US). Here are some observations that may help with your own journey planning.

• Switzerland is quite different from the other countries and well worth your consideration as a Jakobsweg section.
  • The most dramatic scenery (and the most demanding climbs and descents) are east of Interlaken and mostly east of BriĂ«nz. And I do mean dramatic – comparable to Yosemite Valley in drama (not in wildness of course). Both were formed by similar geologic processes.
  • The availability of lodging and stages is quite good. The section between Thun and Fribourg has smaller towns with fewer options; in some places very limited indeed.
  • The availability of food shops, both location and opening hours, is quite good; the best I’ve encountered in Europe yet in fact. The variety of cheeses, butters, yogurts, prepared meats, and fresh fruits and vegetables is excellent. One could easily self-cater all three meals a day.
  • While there is not a baggage transport system in place, Switzerland has Europe’s best public transport system. There are buses and trains everywhere and it is easy to shorten days or skip sections if you need.
  • The way-marking is excellent, again the best I’ve seen in Europe. Still, the Swiss Mobility app with its downloadable maps for offline use was invaluable.
  • The variety of lodgings is quite diverse. Sleeping on straw is in fact enormously comfortable and I highly recommend you try it. Some places were exceedingly plain and almost shabby. Others were splendidly spare and modern. Everything was clean and appropriately priced when compared to other similar Swiss lodging. That is to say, 30 francs gets you one level consistently, 60 francs a different level.
  • Quality of lodgings is quite good. A sleeping sack is generally mandatory; I was very glad to have a light sleeping bag. Blankets were always available; pillows not always (apparently I should have asked, but I do not know the word). Toilet and shower down the hall and shared was common. Soap and towels were not always provided. I hung my wash in the room and it dried overnight.
  • I reserved lodging two months in advance for my travel in September and even then there were some places already full. Email in German and English worked well. My reservations only covered the German-speaking zone; my French-speaking Swiss friend has been making daily reservations for us by phone, with no problem but it is near the end of the month.
  • The list of available lodgings is on the Swiss pilgrim association site,www.jakobsweg.ch
  • Lodgings often offer a discounted price for walkers, so do ask. The price you get by showing up in person is lower than the one offered for Internet booking, sometimes.
  • Weather this time of year is lovely for walking, most days. There was a serious storm about once a week however. A lightweight fleece and rain gear are essential.
  • Pricing is, well, Swiss. Over 16 days ranging from some extremely simple lodging and meals to some very comfortable, I averaged SFR 86 daily, including transport. This compares to EUR 60-65 in Germany and EUR 40-45 in France. In Switzerland one pays per person rather than per room. I could have spent less and stayed only in the simplest lodgings and self-catered all meals, reducing the average.

Kitsambler - This is a very informative summary and much appreciated.
Thanks for directing me to the Swiss pilgrim association website www.jakobsweg.ch which provides everything I need: maps, accomodation lists, and elevation charts.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back