• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Janet and Phil on the CF 2023

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
We're in the airport at Springfield, Mo, begining our journey to Chicago then Munich then Madrid. Visited my ailing, elderly parents before heading out. Will see them again on the return instead of leaving and returning from Wyoming.

Reports of huge airport crowds are extremely exaggerated at least in Springfield on a Saturday.

We hope to walk 2 days on the CF from Zubiri before getting out car rental in Pamplona and heading to our hospitalero volunteer time in Arres on the French way through Aragon.
20230527_125517.jpg

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
We're in the airport at Springfield, Mo, begining our journey to Chicago then Munich then Madrid. Visited my ailing, elderly parents before heading out. Will see them again on the return instead of leaving and returning from Wyoming.

Reports of huge airport crowds are extremely exaggerated at least in Springfield on a Saturday.

We hope to walk 2 days on the CF from Zubiri before getting out car rental in Pamplona and heading to our hospitalero volunteer time in Arres on the French way through Aragon.
View attachment 147942
Looking awesome with your gear. Hope you have a good walk and thank you for making the Camino what it is for so many of us out here now. ❤️🙏

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
How quickly the best plans can change...due to mechanical aircraft issues we won't arrive now in Spain until May 29. Will spend a night in Madrid then hopefully take the train to Pamplona. Doubt we'll get any Camino days in prior to our service time, which is a shame. Walking as a pilgrim always puts s in the frame of mind to remember what a pilgrim needs and appreciates. Walking will have to wait until after...

Day 2: Stuck overnight in Chicago due to plane mechanical issues with the usual frustrations, waiting, etc. United did provide lodging and vouchers last night, but it was late and we were tired. We have come to accept that this travel uncertainty is all part of the Camino experience. I have faith that we will get there eventually.

Trying again today. Will fly out on Lufthansa instead of United with one transfer in Frankfurt. All train and hotel plans cancelled and re-made for Madrid today and tomorrow. Its a hazard of trying to book even a part of your Camino.

No walking planned now before the albergue service that starts May 31, except maybe around Pamplona on the 30th. Sad we won't stay as we'd hoped at Hotel Akeretta between Zubiri and Pamplona or stop in at Zabaldika as planned previously. It will be there another time...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Day 2: Stuck overnight in Chicago due to plane mechanical issues with the usual frustrations, waiting, etc. United did provide lodging and vouchers last night, but it was late and we were tired. We have come to accept that this travel uncertainty is all part of the Camino experience. I have faith that we will get there eventually.

Trying again today. Will fly out on Lufthansa instead of United with one transfer in Frankfurt. All train and hotel plans cancelled and re-made for Madrid today and tomorrow. Its a hazard of trying to book even a part of your Camino.

No walking planned now before the albergue service that starts May 31, except maybe around Pamplona on the 30th. Sad we won't stay as we'd hoped at Hotel Akeretta between Zubiri and Pamplona or stop in at Zabaldika as planned previously. It will be there another time...
So sorry to hear that so disappointing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

View attachment 147942
Looking forward to your hospi stay in Arres. Ultreia!

I will open a new thread in the Aragones section about our hospitalero experience. Not sure about the wifi there. I remember last year having poor cell service there. I can stand out on the sunset viewing point with a bit of tin foil on my head as a last resort. Just remembering in the old days how one of us kids had to go out and redirect the TV antenna or stand with one hand on the "rabbit ears" antenna inside to reduce the snow on the TV to get reception 😀 !

I will open a new thread in the Aragones section about our hospitalero experience. Not sure about the wifi there. I remember last year having poor cell service there. I can stand out on the sunset viewing point with a bit of tin foil on my head as a last resort. Just remembering in the old days how one of us kids had to go out and redirect the TV antenna or stand with one hand on the "rabbit ears" antenna inside to reduce the snow on the TV to get reception 😀 !
The wifi is still a bit, how do you say, iffy in ARRES.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here's today's attempt at a selfie with our packs. (How do people do this so artistically? I always look like I am in some kind of distress!)

Note we are still smiling while waiting for the Lufthansa counter to open. No way to get our boarding passes without being here in person with our passports!

Attachments

• 20230528_114544.jpg
    20230528_114544.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 138
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Janet and Phil, I love reading about you. (that’s the plural you or should I say yuz) and your experiences. You make the worst situation sound like an adventure!
I wish I could get back on the Camino and be a Hospitalera again. Especially now that a call has gone out. I will start saving my money.
I’m glad you post and I’ll be waiting for the next installment.
I wish you Happy trails and no more trials!

Yay, made it to Frankfurt! Flight to Madrid is slightly delayed. The chief cabin agent on our Chicago to Frankfurt overseas flight noticed our backpacks and patches. She leaves for Porto in 2 days. She was very excited and came to talk to us twice for advice during the trip. I told her about using Gronze.com for info on the albergues and routes. She gifted us some Lufthansa swag, some of which I regifted as it was heavier than I wanted to carry (a water bottle, etc) We will keep and eat the chocolates!

Looking forward to a long sleep in Madrid before heading to Pamona tomorrow. We napped on the flight, but not a substitute for our CPAP machines!

Last edited:
Yay, made it to Frankfurt! Flight to Madrid is slightly delayed. The chief cabin agent on our Chicago to Frankfurt overseas flight noticed our backpacks and patches. She leaves for Porto in 2 days. She was very excited and came to talk to us twice for advice during the trip. I told her about using Gronze.com for info on the albergues and routes. She gifted us some Lufthansa swag, some of which I regifted as it was heavier than I wanted to carry (a water bottle, etc) We will keep and eat the chocolates!

Looking forward to a long sleep in Madrid before heading to Pamona tomorrow. We napped on the flight, but not a substitute for our CPAP machines!
You were allowed to bring the rucksack into the plane?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Finally made it to Madrid and just up from a 4 hour nap! It's raining and lightening here in the suburbs of Madrid.

Our plane was delayed in Frankfurt again. We were loaded onto a bus and taken to a plane near the airport periphery. Then the pilot boarded our buses to say that the cabin crew wasn't there and we'd have to stand and wait in the hot, crowded buses for a while until the crew could arrive and prepare the cabin for us. I was just rolling my eyes at Phil, when the man next to me volunteered that he was from South Africa and was on his way to walk the Camino Norte. The minutes flew by as we chatted about his and our Camino experiences together. In no time we were on the plane!

Hope I didn't snore too much on the 2 hour flight. We were really running out of steam. I booked for free (using Marriott points) a little, out of the way AC hotel with a shuttle. We have stayed here several times just to sleep. There is no temptation to sightsee as it is in an industrial area. The shuttle picked us up as planned. At the hotel the desk clerk noted we'd been there several times before and welcomed us back. Then we talked about his 3 Caminos and how he was eager to finish the Camino Madrid which he was halfway from completing.

Tomorrow we'll catch the C train back at the airport to Atocha Station for our rescheduled trip to Pamplona. Our train tickets include the free train transfer to the station. We are going to wing it in Pamplona and look for a room near the train station in person instead of using booking or some other method.

Today (and yesterday) the long travel reminded me that there are pilgrims everywhere-- all of them dreaming of their first or next Camino-- and we feel so blessed to have met them on The Way.

Finally made it to Madrid and just up from a 4 hour nap! It's raining and lightening here in the suburbs of Madrid.

Our plane was delayed in Frankfurt again. We were loaded onto a bus and taken to a plane near the airport periphery. Then the pilot boarded our buses to say that the cabin crew wasn't there and we'd have to stand and wait in the hot, crowded buses for a while until the crew could arrive and prepare the cabin for us. I was just rolling my eyes at Phil, when the man next to me volunteered that he was from South Africa and was on his way to walk the Camino Norte. The minutes flew by as we chatted about his and our Camino experiences together. In no time we were on the plane!

Hope I didn't snore too much on the 2 hour flight. We were really running out of steam. I booked for free (using Marriott points) a little, out of the way AC hotel with a shuttle. We have stayed here several times just to sleep. There is no temptation to sightsee as it is in an industrial area. The shuttle picked us up as planned. At the hotel the desk clerk noted we'd been there several times before and welcomed us back. Then we talked about his 3 Caminos and how he was eager to finish the Camino Madrid which he was halfway from completing.

Tomorrow we'll catch the C train back at the airport to Atocha Station for our rescheduled trip to Pamplona. Our train tickets include the free train transfer to the station. We are going to wing it in Pamplona and look for a room near the train station in person instead of using booking or some other method.

Today (and yesterday) the long travel reminded me that there are pilgrims everywhere-- all of them dreaming of their first or next Camino-- and we feel so blessed to have met them on The Way.
I am so glad that air travel is not in my planning for a while except perhaps next year to go back to Japan and walk. First, need to complete reaching Santiago either from Cadiz or from Pamplona this year.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Very glad to see you are landed, albeit rather later than originally planned. Wishing you both a safe onwards journey to your hospitalero duties. I think you will be well on your way by the time I get to Zabaldika, sorry to miss you!

I am glad that both of you have landed and are probably happy to have a lie down for the night.

Definetively, all your detour and wait was mantiene to be so you can share your experience and meet that Wonderful Camino pilgrims. Take care, buen camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
20230530_084728.jpg
Either we are getting better at the selfie thing or this was a fluke.

After a long rest at the AC Coslado Hotel we are on the train to Pamplona. Learned how to use the Cercanias Combination feature of our train ticket. Rather than having to get a ticket at a machine using our CC code on the Renfe ticket, we were able to scan the code directly at one of the special gates at the entrance of the station. One of the workers showed us where the scanner was located. Not all gates have it.

Took the C10 from the airport to Atocha Station. RENFE Train to Pamplona not very full this morning. We did see some pilgrims, but didn't speak to any today yet.

Ate a nourishing breakfast of Baby Bell cheese and crackers and a piece of Lufthansa chocolate. (We ate all our apple slices from home yesterday. ) One hotel coffee in our room and another at Atocha Station. We will get a menu del dia in Pamplona somewhere.

View attachment 148132
Either we are getting better at the selfie thing or this was a fluke.

After a long rest at the AC Coslado Hotel we are on the train to Pamplona. Learned how to use the Cercanias Combination feature of our train ticket. Rather than having to get a ticket at a machine using our CC code on the Renfe ticket, we were able to scan the code directly at one of the special gates at the entrance of the station. One of the workers showed us where the scanner was located. Not all gates have it.

Took the C10 from the airport to Atocha Station. RENFE Train to Pamplona not very full this morning. We did see some pilgrims, but didn't speak to any today yet.

Ate a nourishing breakfast of Baby Bell cheese and crackers and a piece of Lufthansa chocolate. (We ate all our apple slices from home yesterday. ) One hotel coffee in our room and another at Atocha Station. We will get a menu del dia in Pamplona somewhere.
Yes, I did take a pretty good photo. Probably because of the good sleep I had.

It's good to be back. Avidly awaiting our arrival in Pamplona today and then Hospital de Pereginos in Arres tomorrow afternoon.

Phil

I am 😥 sad to say that I don't feel very pilgrimlike today. We arrived on the train and walked to a hotel nearby so we'd be close tomorrow to pick up the car rental. Moments before the hotel had rooms on booking.com so I felt certain there would be plenty of rooms available. We walked in as she booked her last room and was completo.

I didn't feel we could stay as pilgrims in an albergue because we had not walked (except from the train station) and I knew we wouldn't be walking tomorrow either...

So we are at a 4 star hotel in the old town just off the Camino. The Cathedral Plaza has the same owners as the more modest Pamplona Plaza near the train station and Andrea at the PP hotel kindly called up and got us a room here. It is lovely. A couple drove up in a Jag as were coming in with our packs.

We made it around the corner to Caminoteca and got Phil some hiking poles and a pocket knife. I got a belt for my too big hiking pants. The owner gave us two lanyards to wear as hospitaleros tomorrow as a gift. We stopped at a fruteria and got some fruit and peanuts. We saw peanut butter there and I posted the photo and address on another thread for a pilgrim asking about such things.

Then it began to rain so we ducked into a pilgrim bar for a beer and a piece of tortilla. All the pilgrims were laughing and telling pilgrim tales about a dog that chased them today. Another claimed she had nearly fallen off a cliff.
(I don't recall a cliff on that stretch?)

They were talking about so and so who was walking too far and fast. It was a group from at least 6 or 7 countries and it made my heart hurt that Phil and I were also not able to say we walked into town.

So I have skulked back to my luxury hotel. I will enjoy a wine on their terrace and try to sleep good tonight to be in the right frame of mind tomorrow. Phil just told me he'd happily drop me off at the foot of the hill tomorrow and I could walk up in the rain with my poncho on if it would make me feel more like a pilgrim. I will take that under consideration, I guess.

Anyway, I will close this thread about us NOT being on the CF for a few days as planned thanks to the travel delays. Will start the hospitalero thread tomorrow under the Camino Aragones topical threads.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am 😥 sad to say that I don't feel very pilgrimlike today. We arrived on the train and walked to a hotel nearby so we'd be close tomorrow to pick up the car rental. Moments before the hotel had rooms on booking.com so I felt certain there would be plenty of rooms available. We walked in as she booked her last room and was completo.

I didn't feel we could stay as pilgrims in an albergue because we had not walked (except from the train station) and I knew we wouldn't be walking tomorrow either...

So we are at a 4 star hotel in the old town just off the Camino. The Cathedral Plaza has the same owners as the more modest Pamplona Plaza near the train station and Andrea at the PP hotel kindly called up and got us a room here. It is lovely. A couple drove up in a Jag as were coming in with our packs.

We made it around the corner to Caminoteca and got Phil some hiking poles and a pocket knife. I got a belt for my too big hiking pants. The owner gave us two lanyards to wear as hospitaleros tomorrow as a gift. We stopped at a fruteria and got some fruit and peanuts. We saw peanut butter there and I posted the photo and address on another thread for a pilgrim asking about such things.

Then it began to rain so we ducked into a pilgrim bar for a beer and a piece of tortilla. All the pilgrims were laughing and telling pilgrim tales about a dog that chased them today. Another claimed she had nearly fallen off a cliff.
(I don't recall a cliff on that stretch?)

They were talking about so and so who was walking too far and fast. It was a group from at least 6 or 7 countries and it made my heart hurt that Phil and I were also not able to say we walked into town.

So I have skulked back to my luxury hotel. I will enjoy a wine on their terrace and try to sleep good tonight to be in the right frame of mind tomorrow. Phil just told me he'd happily drop me off at the foot of the hill tomorrow and I could walk up in the rain with my poncho on if it would make me feel more like a pilgrim. I will take that under consideration, I guess.

Anyway, I will close this thread about us NOT being on the CF for a few days as planned thanks to the travel delays. Will start the hospitalero thread tomorrow under the Camino Aragones topical threads.
I feel that the troubles of getting here were a challenge. Somewhat akin to some encountered on a pilgrimage. Thinking of all that we have encountered since leaving home, driving 1000 miles (1600 kilometers), checking on aging family, and the trouble encountered with our flights I guess it may be enough to make me feel this has been a part of my pilgrimage. So far, I have not come to the Camino without a personal reason to contemplate and pray about-this is my 7th trip each with separate pilgrim reasons. After serving in Arres, we will walk from Sarria so Janet can refresh her memory of that section.

And yes, I will drop Janet off at the bottom of the hill if she wants.

Phil

Your journey has certainly had more than its share of trials and tribulations!
Back in the mid 1960s my father’s godmother drove from Southampton (England) to Santiago with 4 elderly nun’s.
With a shell attached to the front of the car. Said shell was recognised and greeted many, many times along the journey, especially once they got to Spain. It wasn’t an easy journey, but they completed it, and were greeted in Santiago as the pilgrims they were .
A Camino is a Camino, regardless of the form it takes . You’ve just completed an alternative. Welcome “home “, and, as a fellow pilgrim, thank you for serving….

Hi Janet and Phil, I love reading about you. (that’s the plural you or should I say yuz) and your experiences. You make the worst situation sound like an adventure!
I wish I could get back on the Camino and be a Hospitalera again. Especially now that a call has gone out. I will start saving my money.
I’m glad you post and I’ll be waiting for the next installment.
I wish you Happy trails and no more trials!
konnie, if you're looking for a plural for "you," it's been solved for us in the Southern US by using "You all," abbreviated as, "y'all." LOL

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back