• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

January on the Camino Frances

grayland

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Yes
I am starting to consider a January walk on the CF.
I did the Via de la Plata in mid August a couple of years ago to cross that off my bucket list....now winter on the CF seems to be a reasonable next step.:)
One of my reasons is that I have walked the CF several times and really enjoy it....but the crowds and change in the culture and attitude of Pilgrims on that route have really disappointed me. I try to avoid it.
Winter would seem to be an opportunity to pretty much be alone. (also you are alone on the VdlP in August:cool:)

I really am just starting to think about this and have looked back at some of the earlier threads by folks who have done this.

I really am not overly worried about the weather or snow....but concerned about the need to carry more weight.
I have been walking in the warmer months over the past years and have become used to carrying minimal "stuff" including no sleeping bag, no jacket, etc.

I guess that pack weight is the price of a winter camino...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Grayland,

Pack weight need not be the price of a winter camino. Most of us who walk in late autumn/winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Here's mine.

Walking in late autumn/winter twice I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. Even late November 2012 the climb up to O Cebreiro was packed with snow. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts of these three memorable storms here. Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and companionship.

For other useful past posts and links re walking in winter scan this Forum thread.

Whatever the season it is most important to be prepared and to know your limits.

Happy planning and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Grayland: I walked the CF in Jan-Feb a couple of years ago. I did it because it was the only time available. I loved it! A few nights alone but there were still a few pilgrims around so nice intimate dinners and conversations, yet solitude when I wanted it. I was surprised at how many albergues were open. I did have to walk further twice when the albergue I planned on stopping at was closed (generally smaller villages). The bar owners and locals were so kind and helpful...often giving me an extra coffee or piece of fruit for my journey (don't think they would be doing that in summer). It is colder and the days are shorter so less roadside picnics and more bar stops.
Regarding packing- I got great advice from the forum members. I used all my basic gear and added 2 pairs of long johns (1 merino wool and 1 synthetic), a fleece hat, 2 pairs of gloves, a neck fleece and heavier smart wool socks. My three season sleeping bag was fine. I generally layered as follows: wool base layer, hiking pants, hiking shirt, fleece, rain jacket, rain pants (as a layer against wind). Kept me warm through a snow storm. I also hit sun and very warm days in Galicia where I took off the base layer and rain gear.
My total pack weight was around 9 kilos without water (carried one litre bottle). I am a woman and added more winter creams, sunscreen, Chapstick, hair conditioner, etc. I also upped the sock count to four liner and four wool socks since I was worried that I wouldn't have time to wash and dry clothes in the cold (not necessary). My first aid kit was also a little over-packed. In other words, I think I could have pared down the weight. I never felt my bag was too heavy...I wouldn't want to carry that much weight in the hot sun of summer though.
I have no desire to walk the CF again, but would consider it in winter...more services and safer than other routes. I think you will enjoy the differences in scenery from summer to winter. Hope it works out.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I am looking forward to walking in the cold and... even snow.
It won't be any more uncomfortable than the sun in August out of Sevillia.
I see the list of open Winter Albergues (Margaret posted link above) is not available yet for winter 2015-'16...but I will watch for it. I have no problems with other accommondation so won't worry too much about what is open.
I have walked in early March when many albergues have not yet opened...or even worse have not turned on the heat yet. It always seems colder in a building that has not been heated for months than it is outside.

I hope I can get the time to go as I have been thinking about it for a while. I am not stuck on the CF but it would seem a good time to do it again without the crowds.
Maybe I can find some battery operated socks and unders. :cool:

Ed

I am looking forward to walking in the cold and... even snow.
It won't be any more uncomfortable than the sun in August out of Sevillia.
I see the list of open Winter Albergues (Margaret posted link above) is not available yet for winter 2015-'16...but I will watch for it. I have no problems with other accommondation so won't worry too much about what is open.
I have walked in early March when many albergues have not yet opened...or even worse have not turned on the heat yet. It always seems colder in a building that has not been heated for months than it is outside.

I hope I can get the time to go as I have been thinking about it for a while. I am not stuck on the CF but it would seem a good time to do it again without the crowds.
Maybe I can find some battery operated socks and unders. :cool:

Ed

Grayland

On camino 2016 Janaury 9th. with a friend (newbie) from Arizona doing the CF from SJPP.

I prefer the quiet that time of year and less layers to worry about. one pair of salopettes with or without thermals underneath (icebreaker or merino)depending on temp.. shorts for roaming around in the evening and two good warm tops, winter sleeping bag. couple of hats , gloves and decent socks.....better than trying to cope with the heat and hoards of pilgrims for a change....
I even hear LARROSONA has a new caretaker.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back