• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

January solo

wingnut

I am planning to walk leon to santiago from the 3rd of January and maybe on to the coast, will it be very quiet? will i find anybody to chat to? :) On a practical note being without accommodation in near zero temperatures could be a cause for concern. I managed to beat cancer this year and will use the trip to build my physical and emotional stamina before going back into business soon , i don't really want to wait until the weather gets better. Can anyone advise??

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Just 17 pilgrims today in Santiago, so it will be very quiet in January! You will still find walking companions, though. Have fun!

Thanks, Actually i found many answers to my question deeper into the forum. Do you think i would have more fun on the porto route at this time of the year?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You are likely to be all alone on the Porto route, so it depends on what you think is fun!!

Wingnut! WOW for you! That is great. Wow.

What a wonderful thing to do!

Boy, I'd dress the part and thoroughly enjoy the adventure. With a little planning, I'm sure you can avoid most of the bad weather and plan your hikes to wind up in a town each day. I'd hope so.

Were I doing it, I'd pre-load some pages (bookmarks) into my phone and check weather regularly. You can get

Radar imagery: http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/ ... &SLP=0&W=0

Satellite imagery: http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/ ... 1112242315

Day Forecasts: http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/ ... G=citybild

And other such things. Hopefully things like that would help you plan your days. :D

Almha

Thanks for the support and the good suggestion. :)) i hope the weather is kind but i have the extremes covered and fairly lightweight set up. I will join the trail on the 3rd or 4th somewhere between Pamploma and Leon..... i have a few days to think about that.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Wingnut

All good advice. If you can be flexible about the type of accommodation you use that will help as well.

I was out on the Camino in December, and although it was quiet there were still a number of pilgrims around. They were scheduled to reach Santiago on or around Christmas, so I thought that could be one of the quietest periods of the year (although I stand to be corrected on that!)

Perhaps someone can advise on the Christmas holidays in Spain, and how much time people take off work. I know the Epiphany is a bigger deal in Spain than, say in the UK. There may be quite a few people out for a winter walking holiday along sections of the Camino.

Great way to start a new and healthy 2012. Buen Camino!

Keith

p.s. Not to confuse, I was on the route in December for about a week but not walking it. I'll be back to walk again, though! :D

Wingnut...Welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2012!

As you can see, there's many a Forum member ready to answer your questions and share their sage advice. You've already found that there's a cornucopia of information within the many threads of the Forum.

As you set out, keep us informed as you walk the Way!

Buen Camino,

Arn

PS: Great news on the cancer success!

Perhaps someone can advise on the Christmas holidays in Spain, and how much time people take off work. I know the Epiphany is a bigger deal in Spain than, say in the UK. There may be quite a few people out for a winter walking holiday along sections of the Camino.

Christmas holidays depend on the region. Christmas Eve night is big for the big family meal, Christmas day not very important. This year some regions have had an official day off today (26th) the majority are back at work. The same applies next weekend, New Years Eve is big, no national day off on Monday though some regions do. The 6th isbig for children, 5th big for processions for the Kings. Like anywhere some people will take more holidays during this period. The week of the 6th & 8th was as big (Bank holiday wise).
It's not like Bitain at all, where I am they don't do any kind of Christmas decorations at all. Alltogether it is a conjunction of religious feasts, obviously this will have some kind of effect on things like the Camino. Santiago reports less visitors this Christmas!

Holidays are more often regional than National so it is difficult to be precise.
Happy christmas
Sue

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
this is one of the most challenging seasons for pilgrims, because so many albergues and hostels close at random days, even the ones that advertise otherwise. Pilgrims often must walk very long stages between accommodations.
According to several pilgrims, we are the only place for pilgrims that is open between Carrion de los Condes and Sahagun. I know the hospitalera at Calzadilla de la Cueza is around, but why these pilgrims are missing her, I cannot say. People are walking 38 kilometers!

Be ready to accept help when it is offered.

Reb

Hi Rebekah,
According to John Brierley's guide for 2011, your albergue, The Peaceable Kingdom, is only open during the summer, so this may be why winter pilgrims walk on to Sahagun. David

i will now walk the whole route now and will fly to biarritz on the 10th january.... start walking in the 11th :) so looking forward

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Go Wingnut! 'In for a penny, in for a pound' as they say. Take photos and write a blog if you're minded to do so - I'm sure lots of us would like to follow your progress.

Buen Camino!

well, David. The Peaceable is not an albergue, and prefers to stay out of published pilgrim guides. We are here all year. Mr. Brierly conflated our place with the Hospital San Bruno, the new Italian albergue in town, which is open through this winter. He got Moratinos wrong, wrong, wrong, at least in the 2011 edition of his Camino guide.

Still plenty of pilgrims finding their way, though.

Tyrrek... i will be sure to take some photos and recount the interesting parts on FBook. :) is it recommended to take the valcarlos route over the Pyranees at this time of the year?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Wingnut.

Others will advise better, but I think it just depends on the weather the day you're starting out and any other concerns you have. I walked via Valcarlos in April (although it would have been perfectly safe to go over the hill instead). I was just keen to take it easy at the start and make sure my boots, etc were OK, so I broke the SJPP to Roncesvalles stage in two. Valcarlos was a great half way stop. I'm not sure if the albergue is open in winter or not, but there is also a hostal/hotel.

The route from SJPP to Valcarlos is fairly flat given that you're in a mountain range, but from Valcarlos to Roncesvalles it's a steep climb through woodland after a couple of kms walking on the roadside. You're going through the valley rather than over the hill but it's still nice scenery.

The Valcarlos route was quiet when I walked it in April. Maybe proportionately more people use it in the winter but expect to be alone unless you meet somebody to walk with at your lodgings the night before. Also be aware that the signposting isn't great until you get to Roncesvalles (I did several kms extra because I missed the turn down to Valcarlos). By the time you arrive in Santiago your eyes are drawn to anything that might be a yellow arrow, but at the start you're not tuned in yet! :D

Take advice from the Pilgrim Office in SJPP about the weather etc, but don't think of Valcarlos as the 'easy way'. It's still quite challenging for the first day or two.

Buen Camino!

Keith

Wingnut, great advice here, not much to add. I did the Chemin du Puy and, the next year, the Frances from Pamplona to Santiago - then Tui-Santiago-Fisterra - all in winter-spring months. Just stay dry, and, as Rebecca says, accept all help. I don't wish to be a corrupting influence...but, if you feel tired and one rest day isn't refreshing you, just take two! I found Leon and Ponferrada good for an extended loaf.

Buen Camino

Rob

Tyrrek, Robert

what fantastic advice, i purposely have not constrained myself to time as this would be dangerous as i underwent major surgery only 3 months ago, however i have always been fit so i just need options and listen to my body. Good to know 1 option is to to take the first stage easy, for sure i will spilt it into 2 halves and then maybe rest one day. this can be the last stage of my prep. Thank you so much!!! :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi all,
I'm in Ponferrada preparing to start a solo camino on a rickety folding bike this Weds. Im watching the weather and am prepped for cold and the possibility of unpredicted snow, but do not want to do anything too foolish. My Spanish is poor, but cheerfully persistent. Does anyone have any idea which albergues or hostels are open between here and S d C? My bike is not much faster than walking, but i thought it might broaden my options if the weather turned scary... All advice welcome

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back