Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Japan comes to Molinaseca

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Doing a search for another thread, I found these links about a beautiful carving done in the traditional Japanese way into the wood of a living tree near the albergue in Molinaseca:
escultura-buda-molinaseca.jpg
It was offered to commemorate of the linkage between the pilgrimage routes in Japan and the Camino de Santiago; an image of Kannon (Kwan Yin in Chinese/Avalokitesvara in Sanskrit/Chenrezig in Tibetan). A number of the temples on the Shikoku pilgrimage are dedicated to Kannon, a being of infinite compassion in the face of all the suffering of the world. The lotus in the carving represents purity, and the right hand is extended outward in a gesture of fearlessness, as a blessing offering protection, peace, benevolence and dispelling of fear.

To say I am sorry to have missed this goes without saying!
The first time on the Frances the carving had not yet been done, and the second time I was in an incurious head down mode, on my way to meet a friend in Ponferrada, at that point just wanting to get off my feet after walking from Rabinal - but more because I simply wasn't aware of it. I certainly would have paused if I had known it was there.
Now I do, and now you do!
Next time...whenever that is...

mspath

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
VNwalking thanks for these great descriptions For those who would like to see this beautiful carving the actual street address is Calle Era, 11, 24413 Molinaseca, León

At least all of us can enjoy your reportage as we continue to dream of better times to come.

Last edited:

Cayou

Camino(s) past & future
2015 Villafranca to SdC 2016 St Jean to LosArcos 2018 Leon to SdC 2019 Le Puy to Conques
Also in Molinaseca - obvious connection!

IMG_7759.jpeg

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Geeze. I missed that too.
But on the first day of the nearby Invierno I noticed this:

Attachments

Cayou

Camino(s) past & future
2015 Villafranca to SdC 2016 St Jean to LosArcos 2018 Leon to SdC 2019 Le Puy to Conques
VN. Must have had some traffic as you’ll see 3 yellow Camino arrows on the left!

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 327 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock