• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jerusalém Way

Ricardo Mendes

Time of past OR future Camino
I have done all in Portugal and Spain
Hello,
This year I did the Via Francigena from Rome to Fatima in Portugal (3 000 kms) on bike. I want to finish the the other part of the route that starts in Jerusalém.
I saw the link about some information, but I only see the countries. Anyone knows the cities where the route passes or have the track gps?

I apreciate any information.

Thanks in advance

Ricardo Mendes

http://www.jerusalemway.org/index.php?id=1&L=1

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi I think the link you posted may lead to possible routes through various countries. Two friends are walking to Jerusalem next year, they had originally picked Ioana as a start point, but are now going from Santiago. I am not sure about Italy, I believe there is a couple of options for them to walk to the ports on the Adriatic side of Italy, and after there they want to walk to Istanbul, but then they will have a problem with ferries running. So they may have to fly to Tel Aviv, and resume in Haifa, however there was a cruise company running between Cyprus and Haifa of this year, they operated up to October and charged around 300 Euros for a cabin at the off peak times. They have not discussed a way through Israel yet, I know the national trail comes quite close to Haifa and in the South it goes quite close to Jeurasalem There is a way to get across to the Jesus trail, and walk it southward to Nazereth and then rejoin the National trail, but it does involve going backwards and forwards a bit. If I join them for Israeli section then I would suggest to them that going to the Upper Galilee is worth it, places like Safed are very beautiful.
With Syria no longer an option, it seems like that most people who are doing it are finding pathways to suit them through Greece, the Islands and Turkey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heloo mikevasey, Thanks for your anwswer. I agree with you, Siria is not an option.
I went Jerusalem some years ago and I know is dificult to pass the border, I think the best thing is to start there and do the way in direccion to Santiago.

What do you think?

Ricardo

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I think if you want to go to overland then you will not be able to get through border controls because of Israeli stamps in your passport, I was there for 7 months working on Moshav's and Kibbutz's, friends I made there went off to Jordan and Egypt sightseeing and usually got the various Israeli border authorities to stamp a piece of paper rather than their passport, but sometimes the particular border person on the day did not want to play ball and that stuffed them for going into Jordan. Your best bet is to to see if any ferries run through the year from Haifa, if there is make your way there and make your plans from where the ferry goes to. I think my friends will walk to somewhere in Turkey and then fly to Tel Aviv, I do hope they go up to Haifa but they may just want to head straight to Jeurasalem, they will have been on the road a long time by then. The other option for you is because you are riding you could always consider going west and passing into Egypt and going to Alexandria there may be ferries to Italy from there, but the Sinai peninsula is prone to periodic attacks so it and it would be the route from Eliat down the red sea that you would have to go that is most prone, but if you braved it then you would have the option of going to the historic St Catherine's monastery in the dessert.
Good Luck and Buen Camino

Good Morning,

You are rigth, with the stamp I don´t went into arabic countries. I have to study carefully the route and watch for the miles beucause I only have a little more of 40 days a year.
Ferries and train are always an option, I was thinking that went to Cyprus is nice.

See you, and thanks

Ricardo

A cruise company was operating out of Cyprus this year to Haifa up to October. There is also a freight company ( Grimaldi) which runs regular services between Salerno(Italy -It is south of Naples) and Ashod which is south of Tel Aviv- they take around 5 days, they do stop at other places in between but from what I have seen written are not allowed to let passengers board or disembark at those places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello! I came back from Jerusalem yesterday, walked from home (England, Kent).
The ferries from Alanya (Turkey) stop at the end of October so took a ferry from Tasucu to Girne (Kyrenia) in Cyprus. Walked through Cyprus then the only option was to fly from Larnaca to Tel-Aviv. They don't stamp your passport any more, just give you an entry Visa on a separate bit of paper. No probs. Then walked to Jerusalem, long stretches on the Israel National Trail, which is lovely.

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back