• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jet Lag

Time of past OR future Camino
See Signature
I will be arriving in Pamplona on September 11 and staying the night at hotel Eslava for one night. I will get there about 1pm and plan to find a place to get my pilgrim passport and adjust to the time difference (from Washington state)...should I stay 2 nights there? I've never flown over seas and don't know what to expect as far as adjustment time. Any suggestions? Anyone know where I would find a pilgrim passport in Pamplona? Thank you!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would suggest walking a short distance the day after you arrive and staying the first few days in private albergues or hotels. You will probably have jet lag to some extent and your body clock will be all over the place and it is easier to get up and read or whatever if you have a room to yourself. On the other hand Pamplona is worth a day exploring and it may be simpler to spend the day there and an extra night.

The credential/pilgrim passport can be obtained at the albergue in Pamplona.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I was a road warrior in my previous life for awhile meaning I traveled about 600,000 air miles in about 2-3 years, crisscrossing North America and flying to Europe on numerous occasions.

You are arriving at good time into Pamplona. Best thing to do once you have checked into the hotel is stay up as long as you can this meaning 9 pm.

Stay outdoors, walk around and enjoy the city sites. Have a mid afternoon coffee but not again. Have an early pilgrim dinner at 7:30 pm and head to bed soon after. Enjoy a simple glass of wine but no more at dinner if it will help to fall asleep.

Plan to get up the next day maybe a little later than your normal time and again use this second day to rest and relax and work off the remaining jet lag.

By the following 3rd morning you should be fine to start walking.

Finally set your watch and camera time to Spanish time as soon as you sit down on the plane and forget that you are in the USA. It will help you mentally adjust to the new time zone quickly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There will be a lot of physical discomfort on your camino. Jet lag will not be a big part when put in perspective. It is just a way to be tired, and you will have lots of reasons to be tired. You can get over jet lag most quickly by immediately adjusting to your current time zone, getting out in the sun, staying hydrated, avoiding excessive alcohol consumption, and going to bed according to the local time.

Instead of trying to stick with a guidebook or group of friends, stop when you are tired, walk when you are ready. The more you obsess about what you "should" do, the less time you will have to simply do it!

I have stayed at the Hotel Eslave and while is is nice enough the hotel is no reason to stay an extra day-Pamplona however is! as jirit wrote fight to stay awake in Pamplona until at least 2100 not hard since the place is lovely. Walk around town the next day too until you start to feel siesta time-then take off for Cizar Menor a very short 5k jaunt if unispiring, walk to the largely modern suburb-do see the church there and those mountains? Don't worry, you will be walking around them. Then next morning start your Camino-your "real" first day will include the Alto de Pedron and the statues and windmills there and afterwards let your body decide-should you feel tired stop at Uterga the private albergue is nice they will also do your dinner, or walk on to Obanos the albergue is nice enough and yes take the Eunate detour, and if you are really feeling spiffy continue on to Puente la Reina. Puente la Reina has some marvelous church architecture and art which you should seek out plus the bridge of course so don't come in exhausted, flop down after dinner and run out the next morning-give yourself time to enjoy the place. I prefer the private Jakue albergue there just as you walk into town next to the statue. Buen Camino-to paraphrase your President "Yes You Can!".
S

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I haven't walked the Camino yet, but I have travelled overseas a fair amount. This is what I do in order to deal with jet lag:

1. Arrive mid-day if possible
2. Shower and change on arrival if I can, but absolutely not take a nap.
3. Get some exercise and fresh air on the day of arrival - nothing too mentally challenging, but something to get the blood flowing after all the travelling.
4. Eat some good food, have a little beer or wine in the evening, and stay up until at least 8pm.
5. Sleep

By the next day, I am fairly acclimated to the local time. I usually wake up around 6am and am totally ready to go. So, in your situation, I wouldn't hesitate to start walking the morning after my arrival in Pamplona.

Definitely take a shower & change! I find that helps me get over jet lag best! I also stay out as late as I can, but usually hit the hay about 9 pm. Follow the advice above about taking it easy your first 2 days. Plenty of interesting places to stop along the way!

Wow thank you all for the input! I will be traveling alone for the first time in my life (I'm 42!!) and so I'm trying to prepare for Everything! I have decided 2 nights in Pamplona is a good idea after reading your posts. Any suggestions on a hotel for my 2nd night that will be right on the route so I can easily start walking bright and early on the 13th? Thanks again :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If you're staying at the Hotel Eslava that is near the Cathedral de San Lorenzo, you will be on the Camino. :) The Camino goes through the park & on to Cizur Menor. No worries about travelling on your own. I've done it for years, & walked the Camino 3 times by myself. You'll do fine!

Wow thank you all for the input! I will be traveling alone for the first time in my life (I'm 42!!) and so I'm trying to prepare for Everything! I have decided 2 nights in Pamplona is a good idea after reading your posts. Any suggestions on a hotel for my 2nd night that will be right on the route so I can easily start walking bright and early on the 13th? Thanks again :)
I walked on my own (but not alone) from Pamplona to Burgos in March/April this year and felt safe the whole way. You will love the Camino experience TammyLynn. I can't wait to go back for my next leg of the wonderful journey.
Buen Camino.
Annie

The only truth about fighting jet lag is that everybody is DIFFERENT and what works for some does nothing for many....I have traveled to Europe at least twice/year for the last 20+ years. This is what I do and I NEVER get jetlagged when in Europe: upon arrival to the hotel (mid-morning usually), I take a shower. Then, I TAKE A NAP FOR MAX OF 2 HOURS. I get up refreshed and ready to really get in the local rhythm. I then wait until 9-10pm to go back to bed. This has never failed me. I just came back from Eastern Europe and I was so excited to see Krakow that upon arrival to the hotel around 1pm, I just walked around for about 6 hours. Same thing, I was fine. Slept through the night every day. Who knows, I may be one of the lucky ones who never gets jetlagged to begin with!!

As far as 2 days, I would get on my way the next day, but if this is your first time in Spain/Pamplona, by all means explore. Take a map of the Camino in Pamplona and follow it from Bridge La Magadalena to the Cathedral. It is a great way to explore Pamplona while familiarizing yourself with the markers and flow of the Camino. If you can "cyber walk" the Camino in Pamplona using Google Street View do that to familiarize with the streets as it gets a bit confusing in some spots.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The only truth about fighting jet lag is that everybody is DIFFERENT and what works for some does nothing for many....I have traveled to Europe at least twice/year for the last 20+ years. This is what I do and I NEVER get jetlagged when in Europe: upon arrival to the hotel (mid-morning usually), I take a shower. Then, I TAKE A NAP FOR MAX OF 2 HOURS. I get up refreshed and ready to really get in the local rhythm. I then wait until 9-10pm to go back to bed. This has never failed me. I just came back from Eastern Europe and I was so excited to see Krakow that upon arrival to the hotel around 1pm, I just walked around for about 6 hours. Same thing, I was fine. Slept through the night every day. Who knows, I may be one of the lucky ones who never gets jetlagged to begin with!!

As far as 2 days, I would get on my way the next day, but if this is your first time in Spain/Pamplona, by all means explore. Take a map of the Camino in Pamplona and follow it from Bridge La Magadalena to the Cathedral. It is a great way to explore Pamplona while familiarizing yourself with the markers and flow of the Camino. If you can "cyber walk" the Camino in Pamplona using Google Street View do that to familiarize with the streets as it gets a bit confusing in some spots.
Very good advice, thank you!

Hi TammyLynn

Since you arriving in Pamplona, I would also suggest you try some of great tapa bars in the old city square.

Less than 10 euros will get you a couple of glasses of Spain's lovely red wine and 2-3 tapas, enough for a small light dinner.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pamploma is a fun city. Even without the jet lag, many people spend two days there. I walked the CF solo - take the time to get your head in the game. You're in for a great adventure.
Kathy

To combat jet lag, you could try getting up earlier each day, one hour at a time, for the week before you leave. Each night crawl into bed 8 - 9 hours before you plan to wake up and relax until you fall asleep. By the time you travel, your body clock will already be several time zones closer to Spain.

Not everyone's lifestyle will accommodate this plan, and your friends and family might think you are a bit 'off', but it really works!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My best remedy for jet lag is to stay up till normal time and take one melatonin. this resets your biological clock so as to allow you 8 hrs sleep and you wake up feeling that its morning and you are rested. Pilots use it ,when they fly over time zones. its natural and cheap, Darrell

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back