• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jewish Identity and the Camino

moniquedsmith

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June (2013)
The more I think about my upcoming camino (starting May 20), the more I wonder about how being a Jew on this pilgrimage is going to affect me. I am not particularly observant, but my identity matters to me. It seems like there is relatively little on this subject -- basically, how to have a spiritually meaningful and Jewish camino. I wonder if there are others with this inquiry?

Monique
http://moniquedanaesmith.tumblr.com/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have walked the Camino twice, I am Jewish and an Israeli.
Walking the Camino has been an educational , sentimental trip, it became a significant dialogue with Christian friends on the Camino. I regarded and respected it as sharing the trail, the pilgrimage wIth Christians . After all there are so many parralel beliefs, it wasn't a religious trip for me (like many others opilgrims) but I felt Jewish (and I am a total secular person) more then other places.
We all know that Jacques, Jacob, James was Jewsih and has a Jewish name : Yaacov ben Zavdi.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Earnest - good article... here are two other links on the same subject...
upload_2013-8-30_12-44-56.png

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I come from multi-national, multi-dominational family background.... you name it .. we got it.... what it has taught me is ........we think we are different BUT we are the same .......same fears, hopes and dreams..........

we should not segregate ourselves because of "labels"

The more I think about my upcoming camino (starting May 20), the more I wonder about how being a Jew on this pilgrimage is going to affect me. I am not particularly observant, but my identity matters to me. It seems like there is relatively little on this subject -- basically, how to have a spiritually meaningful and Jewish camino. I wonder if there are others with this inquiry?

Monique
http://moniquedanaesmith.tumblr.com/

The Camino will connect you strongly with history. The Jews, Christians and Moors all figure prominently in the history of these regions. Even coming in to Santiago was strongly evocative of the inquisition and the power of the church! Terrible awesome and beautiful.

For all of us on or off the Camino "Happy New Year"!
לכולם על הכמינו או בבית שנה טובה

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you Jochen, I hope to meet you in Pamplona 2015! Next year walking from Vezelay and if these old legs will hold I just might make it 2014!

I download the forum app and I read all wonderful stories from people of all ethnicities, backgrounds, religions, etc., until I get to your question.
What is it with Jews? So self centered. Just do the walk and enjoy it like every other normal human being without always having to attract attention to yourself.

Just a small reminder that life revolves around others and not just around you. Think it over and walk in peace.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
תודה רבה לך , אני מאחל לך את אותו הדבר.
Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I fail to see what difference it makes. Not everyone walks the camino for religious reasons, and quite frankly, I feel religion is a personal thing. I will get irritated with anyone who tries to push their religion down my throat when I walk next year. Spirituality and religion are not the same thing. Why make an issue of what you believe? I'm not going to ask anyone on the walk what religion they are, in the same way that I won't ask them how much they earn or what car they drive. It's personal!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back