• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD JFK and Covid testing??

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renascer

Time of past OR future Camino
is JFK airport doing covid tests? I am trying to have an overall idea, even though i am flying to Portugal and i know things are always changing.
But i just want to be aware of possibilities. If i have a few hours at the airport can i do the test right there? I fly at 7:30pm and will land there at the JFK airport 2pm. I wonder if they have at the airport the possibility to do a fast test so i can get the results and be accepted at the airport in Lisbon? Anyone know anything about this?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Google comes to the rescue most of the times.

Oh wow guys. Thanks. Thats great about the page with all details. i called there i was stressed out with timing being in lines etc. I checked the link you sent here says results in two to 3 hours. Sometimes is better talking to someone that went through the experience than trusting just the site. Some places i visited things saying 1hour later meant 5 hours later lol. I am not sure how busy JFK is so i am sure they have enough staff to do this. But even better at JFK they said can be ready in one hour the PCR but $220 jeeezz! The antigen $178 but not sure it is worth the risk with the antigen with them not accepting in Portugal. This can all change. So by the time of my flight would be safe asking if Portugal will accept that antigen.
i asked how many different type of antigen tests they have, they said just one type. Maybe this help someone else. I think when time come i will go with PCR and worry free about them accepting it. Seems complicated this antigen issues...

Last edited:
Oh wow guys. Thanks. Thats great about the page with all details. i called there i was stressed out with timing being in lines etc. I checked the link you sent here says results in two to 3 hours. Sometimes is better talking to someone that went through the experience than trusting just the site. Some places i visited things saying 1hour later meant 5 hours later lol. I am not sure how busy JFK is so i am sure they have enough staff to do this. But even better at JFK they said can be ready in one hour the PCR but $220 jeeezz! The antigen $178 but not sure it is worth the risk with the antigen with them not accepting in Portugal. This can all change. So by the time of my flight would be safe asking if Portugal will accept that antigen.
i asked how many different type of antigen tests they have, they said just one type.

$220 is actually quite a reasonable price imho.
First of all you have the results after one hour.
Secondly , your trip is a non essential one ( read = not for work or helping out a familymember in need ).
Thirdly , that amount is only a fraction of the cost of getting ill in a foreign country and having to pay everything that will not be covered by your travel/ health insurance.

i asked how many different type of antigen tests they have, they said just one type. Maybe this help someone else. I think when time come i will go with PCR and worry free about them accepting it. Seems complicated this antigen issues...

Protecting your fellow pilgrims and travellers would be entirely in the spirit of the Camino, so do makes sure that you are not the cause that someone gets infected, be it on the Camino or on a plane.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
$220 is actually quite a reasonable price imho.
First of all you have the results after one hour.
Secondly , your trip is a non essential one ( read = not for work or helping out a familymember in need ).
Thirdly , that amount is only a fraction of the cost of getting ill in a foreign country and having to pay everything that will not be covered by your travel/ health insurance.
I find anything health related in USA extremelly exaggerated in prices. In this case one most pay because is no essential but the healthy system + tests here comparing to many developed countries is embarrassing to say the least. I lived in 4 continents, i can compare. Obviously this test is the only one that most countries will/can charge a lot for it because is mostly for a vacation(luxury per se) and is a fast result.

If i am not willing to pay $500 dollars for these tests(one for departure+ Another one for arrival) i should not travel. To me it is still expensive as could be almost the same price of a ticket going there. I Will not have a problem to pay for it but calling it cheap or reasonable i cant.
As not all people In US either are travelling to go to the camino, they may lost a family member overseas and may have no money but must go for a funeral/visit a dying person and be forced this price? Ok enforcing the test but at this price? Many in here are not in this position as they are going on vacation. Expensive test even if result was in 2 minutes. Lol

Last edited:
Protecting your fellow pilgrims and travellers would be entirely in the spirit of the Camino, so do makes sure that you are not the cause that someone gets infected, be it on the Camino or on a plane.
There is no question that we all should protect each other. Commenting on the price of a test doesn't imply i want to put others in risk or will not follow directions. I need to know my possibilities/plan/timing if do my test at airport or not enough time or do the day before instead of JFK. Sorry if came across that way must be my english. Apologize if i offended.

Last edited:
This can all change. So by the time of my flight would be safe asking if Portugal will accept that antigen.
Or by the time you fly (September?) Portugal may be accepting fully vaccinated people without the need to provide a negative Covid test - like Spain is doing now.

Or by the time you fly (September?) Portugal may be accepting fully vaccinated people without the need to provide a negative Covid test - like Spain is doing now.
Probably Trecile. I am not super worried because is long away for my trip but enjoy being informed. I just checked here the airport here where i live doesnt do testings inside the airport, glad JFK make this crazy process more practical.

Are you going this year too?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just for comparison, my brother went to Singapore and was quarantined in a hotel room for 21 days upon arrival. Couldn't leave the room. They set food outside his door and ran away. And he is fully vaccinated.
Yes unfortunately it makes sense. And i feel sorry your brother needed to go through that. I agree that a hospital stay or hotel for that long should cost a lot. A test or a vaccine costs very little. In my humble opinion In this chaotic world situation should be almost free or free.

Covid caused already A lot of losses in lives, businesses, with permanent health complications... This should be made easy and cheap. It is not one individual disease. It is a disease impacting everyone.
This being a dramatic world problem, companies should not be taking advantage of the situation. I am willing to pay for it but i find it expensive and feel bad for the ones forced to pay that much and are not even going on a vacation. Specially in this economy. Some are traveling for work with minimal income or for family emergency. And not spending a month (or more) in Europe on a hiking trip. Even if many (like myself) planned this for years and years and it is a first time. It is still a vacation.

Infact they do tests here antigen for free i saw online but I guess when hearing “travel” than that is maybe why things change? Why at the airport the antigen test is not also free or way less than $178.

I plan to do the PRC in JFK because of my flights connections etc and to fit peacefully in the 72 hours timeframe needed and to not risk with antigen confusion and needed a certain type etc. So i rather pay the $220 (they also said $200 if cash).
Maybe i am wrong but to me this is not really protecting society. Maybe because i already saw so many ugly things about health system here and i am biased because of that. 🙂
Should be “almost” free to ALL because It is very contagious and impacting everyone. Wether in an airport or not. Wether traveling or not. These companies and governments in such a case of emergency must motivate and make easy for all to do tests to protect work environment, families, business, etc. Now if one wants to travel in this circumstance, one must be willing to pay all the additional, quarantine, hotels, sickeness, delays... as you can see lol i am not over and still shocked about all these covid issues. We should have not lost so many people.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Imho nothing is for free. That is why we have health care and the principle of solidarity.
Choices must be made.
I still prefer to pay an expensive PCR for non essential travel than paying thousands out of my own pocket when being hospitalised.
Covid Vaccine is free. Infact it is recognized the importance of it. As the test is that important too. Doesn not need to be $200 if they want to charge.
* Adding some places Covid testings are FREE also. It is that important!
I am Grateful for the protection.

Last edited:
I do not expect anyone during this pandemic to subsidise my choices.
My health, either by taxes or debt, has been provided for free at the point of need by my government in the form of vaccination. I have paid for it and future generations will do so for many years.
Many, many people (myself included) have lost their jobs at the start of this pandemic with no financial assistance or subsidy whatsoever. Many more have paid a much higher price.
If it is your choice to travel in this situation....pay for it and be thankful and thoughtful.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I do not expect anyone during this pandemic to subsidise my choices.
My health, either by taxes or debt, has been provided for free at the point of need by my government in the form of vaccination. I have paid for it and future generations will do so for many years.
Many, many people (myself included) have lost their jobs at the start of this pandemic with no financial assistance or subsidy whatsoever. Many more have paid a much higher price.
If it is your choice to travel in this situation....pay for it and be thankful and thoughtful.
Feeling thankful, thoughtful and blessed to be able to go there for that long. I probably will not even need it by the time i fly. It is just a discussion. I don't need a test for myself now. And Either way i am not worried about it. My last point is not if i can afford a test. Buen camino to all of us. 💕💕💕

Last edited:
There is no question that we all should protect each other. Commenting on the price of a test doesn't imply i want to put others in risk or will not follow directions. I need to know my possibilities/plan/timing if do my test at airport or not enough time or do the day before instead of JFK. Sorry if came across that way must be my english. Apologize if i offended.
NeiraBrazil, Nice of you to apologize but I certainly do not see the need for you to do so. It's perfectly alright to say you find something expensive. Cost is a relative thing - what is expensive to some is not to others. Buen Camino.

I read, just this morning, that this is now the case in Italy. So maybe Portugal will follow suit by then as well.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Covid Vaccine is free. Infact it is recognized the importance of it. As the test is that important too. Doesn not need to be $200 if they want to charge.
* Adding some places Covid testings are FREE also. It is that important!
I am Grateful for the protection.
COVID vaccine is free, at point of delivery, for most of us. So far as I’m aware only the AstroZeneca vaccine is being provided to governments at cost. The rest of the providers are making a profit as they are entitled.
I have, and use, the free RATs I can pick up from my local pharmacy, railway station and, wonderfully, my local pub. Free to me; not to the Treasury.
Should I choose to travel I’ll assume that no one other than me is responsible for the cost and I’ll assume that the market will adjust accordingly. Try buying whisky in Saudi or clean water in Haiti.

Should I choose to travel I’ll assume that no one other than me is responsible for the cost.
Exactly. When I eventually choose to travel outside my own country for pleasure, it will be with current knowledge and my decision will be made knowing I will be totally responsible for any cost incurred to me to do so. If one chooses to complain, then they should stay home.

Some countries are providing free tests for its citizens to travel. In the USA it is whatever the market will bear for these Covid tests. That is because “The CARES Act did not set a cap for COVID-19 testing prices which have resulted in a broad range of amounts being charged,” said Dr. Abbie Leibowitz.
Some folks are being charged up to 400 dollars for a quick PCR test at JFK!

We all,of course need to weigh our budgets and make decisions accordingly, but I certainly do have sympathy for budget travelers and families wanting to or needing to travel overseas. For those who planned to travel and stay in dorms or camp, spending close to 300 dollars for tests may make the Camino or other holidays out of reach for them.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes unfortunately it makes sense. And i feel sorry your brother needed to go through that. I agree that a hospital stay or hotel for that long should cost a lot. A test or a vaccine costs very little. In my humble opinion In this chaotic world situation should be almost free or free.

Covid caused already A lot of losses in lives, businesses, with permanent health complications... This should be made easy and cheap. It is not one individual disease. It is a disease impacting everyone.
This being a dramatic world problem, companies should not be taking advantage of the situation. I am willing to pay for it but i find it expensive and feel bad for the ones forced to pay that much and are not even going on a vacation. Specially in this economy. Some are traveling for work with minimal income or for family emergency. And not spending a month (or more) in Europe on a hiking trip. Even if many (like myself) planned this for years and years and it is a first time. It is still a vacation.

Infact they do tests here antigen for free i saw online but I guess when hearing “travel” than that is maybe why things change? Why at the airport the antigen test is not also free or way less than $178.

I plan to do the PRC in JFK because of my flights connections etc and to fit peacefully in the 72 hours timeframe needed and to not risk with antigen confusion and needed a certain type etc. So i rather pay the $220 (they also said $200 if cash).
Maybe i am wrong but to me this is not really protecting society. Maybe because i already saw so many ugly things about health system here and i am biased because of that. 🙂
Should be “almost” free to ALL because It is very contagious and impacting everyone. Wether in an airport or not. Wether traveling or not. These companies and governments in such a case of emergency must motivate and make easy for all to do tests to protect work environment, families, business, etc. Now if one wants to travel in this circumstance, one must be willing to pay all the additional, quarantine, hotels, sickeness, delays... as you can see lol i am not over and still shocked about all these covid issues. We should have not lost so many people.
I suspect that some of the comments on this post have probably misunderstood where @NeiaBrazil is coming from. Possibly because English is not @NeiaBrazil s first language.

Here in ANZ PCR tests for anyone in ANZ who thinks that they may have Covid are free to consumers. I have had three. However, the results of these tests can't be used for travel because the results are sent as a txt message to your phone.

In Auckland, where I live, two companies are advertising pre-departure PCR tests that can be used for travel. One, https://travelclinic.co.nz/covid-19/ charges NZ$275 (US$195) and the other charges NZ$138 (US$98) https://www.labtests.co.nz/commercial-services/pre-departure-covid-19-test/ In both cases, the sample is tested in the exact same laboratory.

I think that the point that @NeiaBrazil was trying to make was that it seems extortionate that some companies seem to want to take advantage of a limited supply side market to charge unnecessarily high fees.

I don't think that she was asking anyone else to subsidize her travel costs.

is JFK airport doing covid tests? I am trying to have an overall idea, even though i am flying to Portugal and i know things are always changing.
But i just want to be aware of possibilities. If i have a few hours at the airport can i do the test right there? I fly at 7:30pm and will land there at the JFK airport 2pm. I wonder if they have at the airport the possibility to do a fast test so i can get the results and be accepted at the airport in Lisbon? Anyone know anything about this?
I hope by the time you fly no testing will be required. However, if a PCR test is required, I-would come up with an alternate plan,rather than gettin a PCR testat JFK. You are supposed to land at JFK at 2pm? If your flight is late dueto traffic or weather delays…then what. IMO search for options before your start your journey.

I suspect that some of the comments on this post have probably misunderstood where @NeiaBrazil is coming from. Possibly because English is not @NeiaBrazil s first language.

Here in ANZ PCR tests for anyone in ANZ who thinks that they may have Covid are free to consumers. I have had three. However, the results of these tests can't be used for travel because the results are sent as a txt message to your phone.

In Auckland, where I live, two companies are advertising pre-departure PCR tests that can be used for travel. One, https://travelclinic.co.nz/covid-19/ charges NZ$275 (US$195) and the other charges NZ$138 (US$98) https://www.labtests.co.nz/commercial-services/pre-departure-covid-19-test/ In both cases, the sample is tested in the exact same laboratory.

I think that the point that @NeiaBrazil was trying to make was that it seems extortionate that some companies seem to want to take advantage of a limited supply side market to charge unnecessarily high fees.

I hope by the time you fly no testing will be required. However, if a PCR test is required, I-would come up with an alternate plan,rather than gettin a PCR testat JFK. You are supposed to land at JFK at 2pm? If your flight is late dueto traffic or weather delays…then what. IMO search for options before your start your journey.
Definately Marbe for peace of mind that would be probably what i will do if i had this flight this month or next month. Thank you dear.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Adding some places Covid testings are FREE also. It is that important!
Without probably knowing it, you have touched on a political - and not a commercial - issue: Whether and under which conditions PCR or antigen tests should be free of cost to the individual user and the cost should be carried by the taxpayer/total number of insured persons.

When you look at countries in Europe, you will find that they have opted for a variety of solutions for those who are covered under their various national health systems, and in some countries that includes free testing for those who go on a trip abroad for their annual summer holiday. France for example is reported as spending 100-120 million euros per week on tests that are free of charge for people living in France and insured under their health care system. Some EU money has also been allocated to make tests more affordable for (some) travellers this summer although I don't know the details. Other countries such as Belgium have set a cap for tests: maximum 55 € for PCR tests and maximum 120 € for rapid turn around antigen tests - there may be conditions attached to it, for example only 2 free tests per person between 1 July and the end of September or similar.

Last edited:
Some countries are providing free tests for its citizens to travel. In the USA it is whatever the market will bear for these Covid tests. That is because “The CARES Act did not set a cap for COVID-19 testing prices which have resulted in a broad range of amounts being charged,” said Dr. Abbie Leibowitz.
Some folks are being charged up to 400 dollars for a quick PCR test at JFK!

We all,of course need to weigh our budgets and make decisions accordingly, but I certainly do have sympathy for budget travelers and families wanting to or needing to travel overseas. For those who planned to travel and stay in dorms or camp, spending close to 300 dollars for tests may make the Camino or other holidays out of reach for them.

It would be very unwise to travel on a usual budget during this pandemic.
Many prices will go up if they haven't already. Food. Lodging. Transport. Insurance.
Plan for contingencies. 300 dollars is nothing.

If I were to travel half the globe to Spain or Portugal, I'd double my budget and be ready and willing to lose it all without having finished or even walked my planned Camino.

A while ago, British tourists had to leave Portugal unexpectedly and in a hurry, and high costs (airline prices), because the British government had changed the safety status of Portugal. This should be a warning to all pilgrims and tourists alike. There won't be time to search for the cheapest option, you will just have to grab what you can and as quick as you can.

If someone already balks at the first hurdle, they are mentally ill-prepared for the new reality of the pandemic.

Without probably knowing it, you have touched on a political - and not a commercial - issue: Whether and under which conditions PCR or antigen tests should be free of cost to the individual user and the cost should be carried by the taxpayer/total number of insured persons.

When you look at countries in Europe, you will find that they have opted for a variety of solutions for those who are covered under their various national health systems, and in some countries that includes free testing for those who go on a trip abroad for their annual summer holiday. France for example is reported as spending 100-120 million euros per week on tests that are free of charge for people living in France and insured under their health care system. Some EU money has also been allocated to make tests more affordable for (some) travellers this summer although I don't know the details. Other countries such as Belgium have set a cap for tests: maximum 55 € for PCR tests and maximum 120 € for rapid turn around antigen tests - there may be conditions attached to it, for example only 2 free tests per person between 1 July and the end of September or similar.
When you need a test for travelling to other countrys from the Netherlands they are free in Juli and August .

It would be very unwise to travel on a usual budget during this pandemic.
Many prices will go up if they haven't already. Food. Lodging. Transport. Insurance.
Plan for contingencies. 300 dollars is nothing.

If I were to travel half the globe to Spain or Portugal, I'd double my budget and be ready and willing to lose it all without having finished or even walked my planned Camino.

A while ago, British tourists had to leave Portugal unexpectedly and in a hurry, and high costs (airline prices), because the British government had changed the safety status of Portugal. This should be a warning to all pilgrims and tourists alike. There won't be time to search for the cheapest option, you will just have to grab what you can and as quick as you can.

If someone already balks at the first hurdle, they are mentally ill-prepared for the new reality of the pandemic.
You offer good advice. However, some operate with different value systems…… Lots of folks will travel on shoe-string budgets…because that-is the only way they can! Buddist monks, begged while walking a camino during a pandemic and depended upon the graciousness of others for their housing and sustenance along the camino. It is not so uncommon to meet people who camp or are unable to donate at refugios. Most of us have seen such situations along the way and many have lended a helping hand. I have talked to pilgrims who could not afford to eat out at all and budget less than 20 euros a day on the camino. Several of these pilgrims came from overseas countries including Ireland, Canada, S. Korea, USA and England.
While 300 Euros is not that much to many of us, it is significant to others…

I don't think that she was asking anyone else to subsidize her travel
When you need a test for travelling to other countrys from the Netherlands they are free in Juli and
You offer good advice. However, some operate with different value systems…… Lots of folks will travel on shoe-string budgets…because that-is the only way they can! Buddist monks, begged while walking a camino during a pandemic and depended upon the graciousness of others for their housing and sustenance along the camino. It is not so uncommon to meet people who camp or are unable to donate at refugios. Most of us have seen such situations along the way and many have lended a helping hand. I have talked to pilgrims who could not afford to eat out at all and budget less than 20 euros a day on the camino. Several of these pilgrims came from overseas countries including Ireland, Canada, S. Korea, USA and England.
While 300 Euros is not that much to many of us, it is significant to others…
The spirit of the camino is also the practice of empathy, humility and compassion toward others. The spirit of life in general suppose to be that too.

IMHO
While paying taxes and living in a country where many us have opportunities of good work and earning money, including to afford to pay $200 for good hiking shoes, fancy comfortable backpacks, tons of other modern equipment, accommodations for one or two months in Europe.... Remember many people around the world don't have this luxury.

Even looking from a business owner standpoint charging this much for such an important test, It is a business practice to lose. Covid testing is not a cancer test, cholesterol test or a diabetes test. It is not to protect ONE individual, it is to protect all of us. Because i can afford to pay for these tests on top of taxes, on top of my expensive private health insurance does not make me entitled to not care if anyone else can afford the test, or to be ok with whatever they charge for it. The point is beyond affordability. Taking advantage of such disease is crazy. Actually even sad to watch.

And it being reasonable priced or free is not paying anyones vacation. Our paid taxes should be used for emergency tests and vaccines like this unique terrible situation. I thought our taxes suppose to help in a calamity like this.

Because i can travel there and know that higher prices of everything ( Food, hotels, transportations) will not stop me, that should not make me think that is just ok to just charge everyone $440 tests both ways (based on Jfk prices) and everyone that can’t pay that price should just stay home. Including people that have a grandma or family member dying somewhere in the world and cant go say goodbye.

In fact it is so unreasonable what they are doing, that the answer of this discussion is already in the news! Countries like Spain and Italy and more to come.. is dropping the test for vaccinated people.

Nothing against the test at all, actually Covid is not gone, its right here and if they were doing it properly they could still be making their money for the tests with every single country. And all of us continuing to be tested which is not a bad thing specially if virus is not gone.

A test that can potentially save lives of many for $220 is not reasonable. Reasonable is to incentive people to protect others lives by wanting EVERYONE to have the ability to protect other peoples lives by offering a practical reasonable priced covid test.
The fact that i can afford these tests and vacations doesn't make me blind to the importance of the situation, protection and needs of others.
I do believe that the message of Covid and the camino is also to think and reflect that we don't live in this world just for ourselves. Peace and love to all. 💕💕♥️

Last edited:
The spirit of the camino is also the practice of empathy, humility and compassion toward others. The spirit of life in general suppose to be that too.

IMHO
While paying taxes and living in a country where many us have opportunities of good work and earning money, including to afford to pay $200 for good hiking shoes, fancy comfortable backpacks, tons of other modern equipment, accommodations for one or two months in Europe.... Remember many people around the world don't have this luxury.

Even looking from a business owner standpoint charging this much for such an important test, It is a business practice to lose. Covid testing is not a cancer test, cholesterol test or a diabetes test. It is not to protect ONE individual, it is to protect all of us. Because i can afford to pay for these tests on top of taxes, on top of my expensive private health insurance does not make me entitled to not care if anyone else can afford the test, or to be ok with whatever they charge for it. The point is beyond affordability. Taking advantage of such disease is crazy. Actually even sad to watch.

And it being reasonable priced or free is not paying anyones vacation. Our paid taxes should be used for emergency tests and vaccines like this unique terrible situation. I thought our taxes suppose to help in a calamity like this.

Because i can travel there and know that higher prices of everything ( Food, hotels, transportations) will not stop me, that should not make me think that is just ok to just charge everyone $440 tests both ways (based on Jfk prices) and everyone that can’t pay that price should just stay home. Including people that have a grandma or family member dying somewhere in the world and cant go say goodbye.

In fact it is so unreasonable what they are doing, that the answer of this discussion is already in the news! Countries like Spain and Italy and more to come.. is dropping the test for vaccinated people.

Nothing against the test at all, actually Covid is not gone, its right here and if they were doing it properly they could still be making their money for the tests with every single country. And all of us continuing to be tested which is not a bad thing specially if virus is not gone.

A test that can potentially save lives of many for $220 is not reasonable. Reasonable is to incentive people to protect others lives by wanting EVERYONE to have the ability to protect other peoples lives by offering a practical reasonable priced covid test.
The fact that i can afford these tests and vacations doesn't make me blind to the importance of the situation, protection and needs of others.
I do believe that the message of Covid and the camino is also to think and reflect that we don't live in this world just for ourselves. Peace and love to all. 💕💕♥️
The test is only free for those who are not completely vaccinated.
IMHO, people who has the money to get on a vacation should pay for whatever test they need.🙏

€149,-
Surely the spirit of the Camino and the practice of empathy, humility and compassion towards others goes both ways, in both directions? Your hypothetical traveller considers taking an "advanced form of PCR testing in which, most cases, results can be available in 2 to 3 hours" during transit at JFK airport in New York. That's personal convenience and it has a cost.

Surely the more humble pilgrim, conscious of personal expenses and of costs for society at large, will take the trouble to arrange flight times in an appropriate way so that a less expensive test is possible, albeit with a less convenient timing? As current experience shows, hundreds if not thousands of travellers who fly from the USA to Spain or Portugal have been able to do so.

Surely the spirit of the Camino and the practice of empathy, humility and compassion towards others goes both ways, in both directions? Your hypothetical traveller considers taking an "advanced form of PCR testing in which, most cases, results can be available in 2 to 3 hours" during transit at JFK airport in New York. That's personal convenience and it has a cost.

Surely the more humble pilgrim, conscious of personal expenses and of costs for society at large, will take the trouble to arrange flight times in an appropriate way so that a less expensive test is possible, albeit with a less convenient timing? As current experience shows, hundreds if not thousands of travellers who fly from the USA to Spain or Portugal have been able to do so.

We do not want to see those with limited budgets excluded from the Camino because of exorbitant pricing and unscrupulous practices? And it is not unique to the USA! It is happening in other countries as well.

Unfortunately because of circumstances and logistics budget travelers and many families will not be able to take advantage of lower cost testing. They will be closed out of international travel due, in some cases to greed!

.... Peace and love to all. 💕💕♥️
While researching the situation in Aotearoa New Zealand I found it interesting that the two commercial companies that offer the exact same test, processed in the same laboratory following the same process had two completely different ways of selling their service.

The company that charged almost twice as much has their website focused on inciting fear in their potential customers whereas the company with the more affordable charge uses their website to communicate helpful information about the test and the process they follow.

I see this use of fear in other advertising, especially for products with premium prices.

We do not want to see those with limited budgets excluded from the Camino because of exorbitant pricing and unscrupulous practices? And it is not unique to the USA! It is happening in other countries as well.
Frankly, aren't we exaggerating a bit sometimes with trying to be inclusive? Those "with limited budgets" are excluded worldwide from much more than a 30 days trip to Spain Portugal. Unless I am mistaken, Spain no longer requires a test from travellers from the USA to Spain and that includes unvaccinated travellers.

Spain no longer requires a test from travellers from the USA to Spain and that includes unvaccinated travellers.
Yep, I checked. Boletín Oficial del Estado says so, US Embassy in Madrid says so, and the part in the SpTH questionnaire where you had to indicate whether you are vaccinated or tested is gone when you fill it in for an upcoming flight from the USA to Spain.

Since Thursday 24 June 2021.

I guess a lot of recent forum threads could be closed now. 😇

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yep, I checked. Boletín Oficial del Estado says so, US Embassy in Madrid says so, and the part in the SpTH questionnaire where you had to indicate whether you are vaccinated or tested is gone for flights from the USA to Spain. Since yesterday.
I was supporting the reasonable pricing of tests and not whether one is necessary or not.

€46,-
I have, and use, the free RATs I can pick up from my local pharmacy, railway station and, wonderfully, my local pub.
I'd be curious to know what the situation regarding free rapid antigen tests is like in Spain. I've heard little about this. For example, can you pick up free RATs at your pilgrim albergue?

Heard today that Andrew Marr had a nasty bout of Covid last week, despite having both jabs in early spring. A commentator said that vaccination is effective for keeping you out of hospital and away from your grave but does not necessarily protect you from infection.

Hi! I was just at JFK a few days ago and can verify that testing is available in T1 and T4. But go early. The airtrain between terminals takes time to figure out and you need to buy a MetroCard to use it. Results must post in order to check in. Only a PCR test is valid for most countries, including Spain, so make sure you're getting that one. I wish I'd done that instead of getting a pricier test ($225) at a walk in testing center in Brooklyn! Hope this helps! Buen Camino!

Hi! I was just at JFK a few days ago and can verify that testing is available in T1 and T4. But go early. The airtrain between terminals takes time to figure out and you need to buy a MetroCard to use it. Results must post in order to check in. Only a PCR test is valid for most countries, including Spain, so make sure you're getting that one. I wish I'd done that instead of getting a pricier test ($225) at a walk in testing center in Brooklyn! Hope this helps! Buen Camino!
Yes. Thank you for your advice/tips. My original post shows concern about having enough time to do it at JFK.
I have decided since then that whatever test i need to do (in September) i will do at my city the day before so i have peace of mind that is done on time even if i needed to pay a little more just for the peace of mind. I would not want to be stuck in a line inside JFK, trying to find the location there between terminals or even risking not being able to get results done if my flight delays or something.

Just for curiosity i called back then and they (JFK) assured me over the phone that i have plenty of time to get it done there before my flight but what i learned through vacations is that airport lines can sometimes change really quick and now with covid, delays and change of flights is another fact in the equation.

So i decided to NOT count on those many free hours i will have at the airport, they may be way less hours. It is not garanteed. Doing the PCR at a clinic where i live will be way more convenient for me and they also provide me with the results as fast as JFK(2-3 hours), also charge less. So its done as quick, cheaper and risk no lines/changes at the airport.

But this is not relevant for me right now because i am flying in September, but it is for the people that are flying and doing these tests now. I am just getting educated about the required process at the moment.

I agree with you the PCR is the safer way to go and the one i would do if i was flying now. But it is good that you posted the info so it may help another fellow traveller. Buen Camino!

Last edited:

€149,-
Buen Camino!

(Aside, I found it astonishing how many used your thread to pontificate, rather than answer your clear question.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.