A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Jill, Truffle, and “It is all part of the adventure”

2020 Camino Guides

davebugg

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Frances (2018)
Camino Ingles (2019)
I gave Jill a puppy last Christmas; a mix of miniature poodle and miniature schnauzer. A black, fluffy joyful little guy who is now a bit over 1 year old. He is 16 pounds of gentle and sporting small dog with a big dog personality.

His name is Truffle.

As a young puppy and prior to puppy school, Truffle exhibited his unbounded happiness and excitement by getting up on his hind legs and pawing against the legs of the one who was the target of his exuberance. As training continued, he learned to quickly stop his pawing when told, “Truffle off”

The day before departure for Camino Ingles, at the airports, on the airliner, at Frankfurt, Madrid, and Ferrol, Jill was a bundle of excitement which kept growing. I grinned every time I was poked to share the newest “ooh” and “ahhh” moment Jill was experiencing. New to both Europe AND Camino, finally experiencing her dream bucket list wish, it was understandable the level of joy, happiness, and emotion that Jill was going through.

At Ferrol, it suddenly hit me. As Jill shook my shoulder as we stood next to the Camino Ingles monument marker, I smiled and said, “Off Truffle”.

While looking at me with a look of puzzlement, I told here that she reminded me of how Truffle expressed HIS joy as a pup and how we dealt with it. After a moment, Jill started laughing hard and exclaimed, “How true, I am a Truffle”.

So we decided to adopt aa term for unrestrained excitement by either of us: Truffling. It’s become a little endearing joke between the two of us as we continue our Europe road trip since finishing the Ingles. “Hey, Jill/Dave, you’re Truffling”.

I will post more of our Camino Ingles pilgrimage after we get home on the 9th. Right now, as I sit in our AirBnB, after driving into Mittenwald, Germany this afternoon, I am finding it difficult to carve time out of the day in order to do much of any real posting on the Forum.

I will happily give more detail on Camino Ingles when we finally arrive home.

And for those who have driven in Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Lichtenstein, and Germany, any votes on which country has the worst drivers and anarchy rules the road? And yes, I have prior extensive driving experience in Europe before THIS trip. :D:D:p

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
I gave Jill a puppy last Christmas; a mix of miniature poodle and miniature schnauzer. A black, fluffy joyful little guy who is now a bit over 1 year old. He is 16 pounds of gentle and sporting small dog with a big dog personality.

His name is Truffle.

As a young puppy and prior to puppy school, Truffle exhibited his unbounded happiness and excitement by getting up on his hind legs and pawing against the legs of the one who was the target of his exuberance. As training continued, he learned to quickly stop his pawing when told, “Truffle off”

The day before departure for Camino Ingles, at the airports, on the airliner, at Frankfurt, Madrid, and Ferrol, Jill was a bundle of excitement which kept growing. I grinned every time I was poked to share the newest “ooh” and “ahhh” moment Jill was experiencing. New to both Europe AND Camino, finally experiencing her dream bucket list wish, it was understandable the level of joy, happiness, and emotion that Jill was going through.

At Ferrol, it suddenly hit me. As Jill shook my shoulder as we stood next to the Camino Ingles monument marker, I smiled and said, “Off Truffle”.

While looking at me with a look of puzzlement, I told here that she reminded me of how Truffle expressed HIS joy as a pup and how we dealt with it. After a moment, Jill started laughing hard and exclaimed, “How true, I am a Truffle”.

So we decided to adopt aa term for unrestrained excitement by either of us: Truffling. It’s become a little endearing joke between the two of us as we continue our Europe road trip since finishing the Ingles. “Hey, Jill/Dave, you’re Truffling”.

I will post more of our Camino Ingles pilgrimage after we get home on the 9th. Right now, as I sit in our AirBnB, after driving into Mittenwald, Germany this afternoon, I am finding it difficult to carve time out of the day in order to do much of any real posting on the Forum.

And for those who have driven in Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Lichtenstein, and Germany, any votes on which country has the worst drivers and anarchy rules the road? And yes, I have prior extensive driving experience in Europe before THIS trip. :D:D:p
Southern Italy. No contest. Driving there is either an extreme sport or performance art.

A fair number of Swiss drivers would report themselves for a traffic violation. They shouldn’t be on your list.

From a standing start most cars couldn’t accelerate fast enough to exceed the speed limit from one side of Lichtenstein to the other, so excuse them also.

davebugg

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2017)
Camino Frances (2018)
Camino Ingles (2019)
A fair number of Swiss drivers would report themselves for a traffic violation. They shouldn’t be on your list.
:):) Ah.... my intention wasn’t to list countries with bad drivers. It is a list of countries we have driven through. But, one country is my top pick for anarchist drivers who are vying for the ”Hey, why are you on my road” Award. 🤑

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago and beyond (own way - voie de Tours - camino francés - Biskaya - Manche)
But, one country is my top pick for anarchist drivers who are vying for the ”Hey, why are you on my road” Award. 🤑
On my road or in my lane? 🤔 🤭
I suppose we are talking motorways and not inner cities? I know one country (not on your list) where drivers change from tranquil sheep on their motorways into hyper-agitated lemmings at their busy inner-city junctions.

Good to hear from you, @davebugg!

Last edited:

Chris Gi

Camino(s) past & future
Did April through June 2018 from Pamplona to Santiago. 2020 May or end of September.

His name is Truffle.

But it sounds as if you had a wonderful trip.

Becky 59

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (May 2018)
Camino Ingles (Aug 2019)
Mittenwald is a beautiful little town, enjoy! Glad to hear the trip has been good and looking forward to your future posts to hear more! 😊

TerBear

Camino(s) past & future
2006, 2018

His name is Truffle.

Got a speeding ticket in Austria

Gumba

Camino(s) past & future
CF March 2018
CF Dec 2019/2020
We should all, always embrace our inner Truffle. Enjoy the road trip :)

TatiLie

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugues Variante Espiritual July 2019
Finisterre next!
I need a picture of Truffle.
My husband is a Southern Italian but after 15 years in Ireland he often gets pissed at the drivers 'back home'. A memorable moment was when a man cut him speedily in front of us on a 0km/h traffic jam in Lecce and screamed 'Sei pazzo!!' ('you're crazy!!'). He still shakes his head remembering that day.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
It is all wonderful!
Enjoy, you two........it sounds like you are!

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)

His name is Truffle.

We are waiting patiently for a photo of Truffle, but we will not wait forever!

Camino(s) past & future
A not entirely dissimilar photo of a very young Henry the Dog with my wife ‘The leader of the opposition’. (Henry’s natural mother was paying close attention)

Ivar can close up for the month and we’ll just trade puppy photos.

587BE32B-628A-427F-9A31-AB0724457A3E.jpeg

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
davebugg Miscellaneous Topics 7
OLDER threads on this topic
Happy Birthday, Jill. :-)

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 8 0.7%
  • March

Votes: 47 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 173 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 279 24.3%