• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jill, Truffle, and “It is all part of the adventure”

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

I gave Jill a puppy last Christmas; a mix of miniature poodle and miniature schnauzer. A black, fluffy joyful little guy who is now a bit over 1 year old. He is 16 pounds of gentle and sporting small dog with a big dog personality.

His name is Truffle.

As a young puppy and prior to puppy school, Truffle exhibited his unbounded happiness and excitement by getting up on his hind legs and pawing against the legs of the one who was the target of his exuberance. As training continued, he learned to quickly stop his pawing when told, “Truffle off”

The day before departure for Camino Ingles, at the airports, on the airliner, at Frankfurt, Madrid, and Ferrol, Jill was a bundle of excitement which kept growing. I grinned every time I was poked to share the newest “ooh” and “ahhh” moment Jill was experiencing. New to both Europe AND Camino, finally experiencing her dream bucket list wish, it was understandable the level of joy, happiness, and emotion that Jill was going through.

At Ferrol, it suddenly hit me. As Jill shook my shoulder as we stood next to the Camino Ingles monument marker, I smiled and said, “Off Truffle”.

While looking at me with a look of puzzlement, I told here that she reminded me of how Truffle expressed HIS joy as a pup and how we dealt with it. After a moment, Jill started laughing hard and exclaimed, “How true, I am a Truffle”.

So we decided to adopt aa term for unrestrained excitement by either of us: Truffling. It’s become a little endearing joke between the two of us as we continue our Europe road trip since finishing the Ingles. “Hey, Jill/Dave, you’re Truffling”.

I will post more of our Camino Ingles pilgrimage after we get home on the 9th. Right now, as I sit in our AirBnB, after driving into Mittenwald, Germany this afternoon, I am finding it difficult to carve time out of the day in order to do much of any real posting on the Forum.

I will happily give more detail on Camino Ingles when we finally arrive home.

And for those who have driven in Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Lichtenstein, and Germany, any votes on which country has the worst drivers and anarchy rules the road? And yes, I have prior extensive driving experience in Europe before THIS trip. :D:D:p

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I gave Jill a puppy last Christmas; a mix of miniature poodle and miniature schnauzer. A black, fluffy joyful little guy who is now a bit over 1 year old. He is 16 pounds of gentle and sporting small dog with a big dog personality.

His name is Truffle.

As a young puppy and prior to puppy school, Truffle exhibited his unbounded happiness and excitement by getting up on his hind legs and pawing against the legs of the one who was the target of his exuberance. As training continued, he learned to quickly stop his pawing when told, “Truffle off”

The day before departure for Camino Ingles, at the airports, on the airliner, at Frankfurt, Madrid, and Ferrol, Jill was a bundle of excitement which kept growing. I grinned every time I was poked to share the newest “ooh” and “ahhh” moment Jill was experiencing. New to both Europe AND Camino, finally experiencing her dream bucket list wish, it was understandable the level of joy, happiness, and emotion that Jill was going through.

At Ferrol, it suddenly hit me. As Jill shook my shoulder as we stood next to the Camino Ingles monument marker, I smiled and said, “Off Truffle”.

While looking at me with a look of puzzlement, I told here that she reminded me of how Truffle expressed HIS joy as a pup and how we dealt with it. After a moment, Jill started laughing hard and exclaimed, “How true, I am a Truffle”.

So we decided to adopt aa term for unrestrained excitement by either of us: Truffling. It’s become a little endearing joke between the two of us as we continue our Europe road trip since finishing the Ingles. “Hey, Jill/Dave, you’re Truffling”.

I will post more of our Camino Ingles pilgrimage after we get home on the 9th. Right now, as I sit in our AirBnB, after driving into Mittenwald, Germany this afternoon, I am finding it difficult to carve time out of the day in order to do much of any real posting on the Forum.

And for those who have driven in Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, Lichtenstein, and Germany, any votes on which country has the worst drivers and anarchy rules the road? And yes, I have prior extensive driving experience in Europe before THIS trip. :D:D:p

Southern Italy. No contest. Driving there is either an extreme sport or performance art.

A fair number of Swiss drivers would report themselves for a traffic violation. They shouldn’t be on your list.

From a standing start most cars couldn’t accelerate fast enough to exceed the speed limit from one side of Lichtenstein to the other, so excuse them also.

A fair number of Swiss drivers would report themselves for a traffic violation. They shouldn’t be on your list.

:):) Ah.... my intention wasn’t to list countries with bad drivers. It is a list of countries we have driven through. But, one country is my top pick for anarchist drivers who are vying for the ”Hey, why are you on my road” Award. 🤑

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
But, one country is my top pick for anarchist drivers who are vying for the ”Hey, why are you on my road” Award. 🤑
On my road or in my lane? 🤔 🤭
I suppose we are talking motorways and not inner cities? I know one country (not on your list) where drivers change from tranquil sheep on their motorways into hyper-agitated lemmings at their busy inner-city junctions.

Good to hear from you, @davebugg!

Last edited:

His name is Truffle.

But it sounds as if you had a wonderful trip.

Mittenwald is a beautiful little town, enjoy! Glad to hear the trip has been good and looking forward to your future posts to hear more! 😊

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

His name is Truffle.

Got a speeding ticket in Austria

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I need a picture of Truffle.
My husband is a Southern Italian but after 15 years in Ireland he often gets pissed at the drivers 'back home'. A memorable moment was when a man cut him speedily in front of us on a 0km/h traffic jam in Lecce and screamed 'Sei pazzo!!' ('you're crazy!!'). He still shakes his head remembering that day.

His name is Truffle.

We are waiting patiently for a photo of Truffle, but we will not wait forever!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back