• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Job offer in Léon Albergue

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
There's a job offer at the Nuns' Albergue in Léon.

Not stated outright, but implicit in the job description, you'd need to be a Catholic in good standing (as the job has some religious duties) and fluent in Spanish, English, and likely one or two other common Camino languages.

It's a permanent €4,000/p.a. position that seems to include some lodging possibility etc. Obviously at that pay grade it would be vocational and not for profit as such.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Not stated outright, but implicit in the job description, you'd need to be a Catholic in good standing (as the job has some religious duties) and fluent in Spanish, English, and likely one or two other common Camino languages.

It's a permanent €4,000/p.a. position that seems to include some lodging possibility etc. Obviously at that pay grade it would be vocational and not for profit as such.
I can't speak fluent Spanish, I am not Catholic, just wondering in p.a. means per anum?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for posting. I'm not qualified, but simply trying to read the announcement is improving my Spanish.

I am bemused by the coda at the end of the major duties and responsibilities. "Nada menos" = nothing less. I don't tend to see that phrase in job announcements much ;)

I am bemused by the coda at the end of the major duties and responsibilities. "Nada menos" = nothing less. I don't tend to see that phrase in job announcements much
Yes, although those words were outside the quotation marks in the article, and weren't in the actual job description. The person writing the article was clearly impressed by the scope of duties. :)

I have stayed there twice. Good albergue.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It does seem that you only have to work for six months for your €4/annum salary; so that’s only half as bad as it might have appeared.
The full hospitalero duties are described as being for 9 months per year.

The full hospitalero duties are described as being for 9 months per year.
Ok, only 2/3 as bad?

April to October in the actual announcement and ‘seven months’ in the broader description.

Whatever …

It’s clearly a vocation.

Standard Spanish labour laws would probably apply to the staff of the adjoined hotel.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

would love to apply for it. I am a catholic I speak English and Italian but Spanish understand if they slowly. Yet my Spanish words vocabulary is immense and can make sentences to make them understand. would love the job. Good luck to whoever gets it. I am sure it is a very demanding job.

The job offer has been published by the Fundación which I guess is the commercial and financial 'arm' of the monastery. They also published it on their Facebook page and it has been picked up by regional news media, job offer platforms and social media. The link in the first post in this thread points to the webpage of the Spanish Friends of the Camino association but their source, indicated at the bottom, is the online newspaper iLeon (see Oferta de empleo: se busca ...). They just copy-pasted the whole iLeon news article; the association's website acts as a kind of news aggregator for Camino related news.

They offer a contrato de trabajo fixo discontinuo and since there is also mention of media jornada, I'd guess that what they offer is a series of annual employment contracts, each for seven months from April to October, and part-time, so some €550-600 per month, which, if it were a 50% part-time job, corresponds to minimum wage requirements in Spain.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
would love to apply for it
Why not phone or email and apply? It is a proper offer for a job in Spain with a selection procedure: You have to submit your CV and your references and you will be interviewed in person or on Zoom - should not be a problem for candidates (note the required quality of atención de la página web y Facebook del albergue).

It does not say that you must be a Spanish national or a resident in Spain and obviously I don't know their selection procedure and requirements. When there are two equally qualified candidates, they may want to give the contract to a local person who needs to earn money and not to a candidate from far away who would be willing to work for a pittance as s/he has other income such as a pension or similar.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back