• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

John Brierley book

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
i ordered this one from amazon uk and I hope it is the latest and most up- dated version!!!!

Attachments

• Bild 1.png
    Bild 1.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 2,407
anniethenurse said:
i ordered this one from amazon uk and I hope it is the latest and most up- dated version!!!!

Think you did well, mine a month or so ago is 7th ed. Well Done, enjoy :mrgreen:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi all

Just wondering what you think of the John Brierley guide and if its worth having.
I ordered the 2010 edition of John Brierley's book (2011 impossible to find) last October from Amazon and have just found out the order was not processed (which would explain why it didnt get to my mailbox!).
Now thats it 2012 I could order the newest version but just wondering if its worth it. I have the 2011 guide to Camino Frances and to Finisterre from the Confraternity of St James in London.
Do I really need the Brierley book as well (would have to be great to justify the weight of carrying it with me). Does it offer much more than the Confraternity guide?
please let me know what you think. thanks muchly.

karen

@ deanfred - no it is not available as e- book.

@karen - yes it is worth to get the latest Brierley if you are carrying a guide book.
regards
annie

I would go with the CSJ guide and don't bother with Brierley.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
A HA! conflicting advice!
just what I need :lol: :lol: (smiley face to show not being sarcastic)
any other views?
(ps if they sold at my local book store, I could go take a look but I have to order through amazon)
karen

You can get the CSJ Guide online at their website.... http://www.csj.org.uk/acatalog/The_CSJ_ ... in_23.html

I looked at other guides when I was walking and the CSJ Guide was more up-to-date than the Brierley and much lighter.

I am fairly vocal about my dislike of Brierley's book. :) There are much better options out there if you can understand spanish or french. What I wouldn't give to be able to read french so I could get the Miam Dodo guidebooks....There are also other English language options, but everyone here has drank the Kool-Aid so you'll never hear anyone talk about the other options.

http://www.caminoguide.net/ (Free resource but they ask for a small donation)
Walking the Camino de Santiago: The Camino Frances by Ben Cole and Bethany Davies looks promising but I have not been able to get my hands on a copy to verify.

More options here: http://www.elcaminosantiago.com/Camino- ... ebooks.htm

Good luck with your search...you could just follow the arrows and let the Camino provide...a guidebook really isn't necessary. :)

renegadepilgrim said:
The Camino Frances by Ben Cole and Bethany Davies looks promising but I have not been able to get my hands on a copy to verify.
I had most of the available guides (English) when I walked in 2009 and I chose the Davies & Cole book. I think it is excellent, the right sought of information and light compared to most. However, the third edition was done in 2009 and I haven't seen any talk of a new revision, so it is a bit dated.
Buen Camino.
Col

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Karen
How about me bringing my copy of Brierley's 8th edition, 2012 that I've got from Amazon, to Wellington next time I come. You can then give it the once over and compare it with anything else you may already have, before deciding if you want to purchase it from Amazon. That way it won't cost you anything other than a latte at Caffe L'Affare! :)
regards
Yvonne from the Wairarapa

To me, Brierley's book is much better than the CSJ guide.
He gives much more information that is useful to me.
I love the maps.
I love his format.

My favorite Camino at-home guide for EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about walking the Camino is Sylvia Nilsen's book YOUR CAMINO. She covers it all and you can get it on Kindle. :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If I had to pick just one english language guide for the CF I'd second Annie's preference for Brierley.
I like his maps with their range of alternative routes-they are simple yet provide sufficient detail, his elevation guides (just as relevant as distance when walking), the info he provides on the % of track, path or surfaced road (so important if you've got sore feet), the potted historical and other information and his incentives/encouragement to make detours en route.
It must be said that we also cunningly used to sneak a peak at the MMD guide belonging to a french group and got a few nice alternatives in terms of route and accommodation options.
In fact thinking about it, and being a pretty lazy pilgrim in terms of planning, I wish Mr B would broaden his horizons to cover Via Jacobi et al!

gosh...what a flurry of views.

thanks for your comments nellpilgrim and anniesantiago.
thanks for the links anniethe nurse
ditto to renegade (I will be checking out both groups of links) and yes I know....just following the arrows sounds good too but here in the land of fear and trepidation, I feel I need all the help I can get!

Yvonne - sounds great, just text me when next coming to town.

thanks all for advice
karen

We removed the pages from the Brierley book that we needed. We found it very helpful. However, we also found some of the iPad apps helpful too. MapswithMe - Spain, The way of st James, Con El Camino - just to name a few.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

This book by Katherine Lack landed on my doormat last week. I ordered it having found her Frontstalag 142, The Internment Diary of an English Lady fascinating, not least because my grandmother and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.