• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

John Brierley cover photo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was originally of the opinion that is was somewhere between Santo Domingo de Calzada and Belorado; but the meseta might be a better choice possibly half way down the Alto de Mostelares looking (over Itero) towards the Tierra de Campos (around Boadilla). But happy for someone to come up with a more accurate location. (I had a good look through the book and there is nothing to identify any of the photographs other than those well known sights.) Cheers

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In September 2012, walking with my dear friends Helen, John and Simon (all pictured:)), we think we identified the location between Ledigos and Moratinos. Helen had been keeping a look out for the spot and I'll never forget the shout from up ahead "I think I found it!". Interested to hear if others agree with us! I recently attended a Canadian Company of Pilgrims event and John Brierley was the guest speaker. I talked with him after and the cover location was a question I had meant to ask but forgot to!

Attachments

• Helen.jpg
    Helen.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 98
  • John.jpg
    John.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 94
  • Simon.jpg
    Simon.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
In September 2012, walking with my dear friends Helen, John and Simon (all pictured:)), we think we identified the location between Ledigos and Moratinos. Helen had been keeping a look out for the spot and I'll never forget the shout from up ahead "I think I found it!". Interested to hear if others agree with us! I recently attended a Canadian Company of Pilgrims event and John Brierley was the guest speaker. I talked with him after and the cover location was a question I had meant to ask but forgot to!
Hmmm...could be. Not sure.
Comparison:
TN6_B1035794.JPGSimon.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Maybe compare the curves of the road. The pilgrim on the Brierley cover is standing closer to the curve than my pals in my photos. The landscape and the lines of the cultivated area above and to the right seem very close.

The road curvature could be similar to so many places on the Camino.
I was thinking along the line of terrain features. Those two small distinct peaks on the ridgeline in the distance. That would be a unique terrain feature.
TN6_B1035794.JPG

I think it is after crossing Alto de Mostelares, down on the flat. Check the top left corner of my photo.

Attachments

• DSCN2772.JPG
    DSCN2772.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 58
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My last bit of evidence in support of our location :) On page 163 in the Brierley (2011 edition) there is a photo at the bottom of the page that shows the same location.

Cover Location.jpg

Upper right in this photo there are 3 features - A taller full tree, a skinny tree and a shorter bush. These show up on the Brierley cover as well. On the upper left of the page 163 photo there is very tall tree. All of these features are in this enlarged part of my photo.
location.jpg

Not bad, Theatregal !

I checked my 2012 edition, page 163 -- and my 2018 edition, too, where the 2012 picture appears on page 164.... I was skeptical of your suggestion at first, but the more I think about it the more plausible it seems! But that raises the question of WHERE between Ledigos and Moratinos?! ;)

BTW - Brierley 2012 offered us just one ('gold dot') route between them, but Brierley 2018 offers an alternate ('green dot') Ledigos-Terradillos route. I assume that in 2012 you walked the 'gold dot' route?

My last bit of evidence in support of our location :) On page 163 in the Brierley (2011 edition) there is a photo at the bottom of the page that shows the same location.

View attachment 54094

Upper right in this photo there are 3 features - A taller full tree, a skinny tree and a shorter bush. These show up on the Brierley cover as well. On the upper left of the page 163 photo there is very tall tree. All of these features are in this enlarged part of my photo.
View attachment 54095
Hmmm.....I believe you pilgrims were spot on. Good detective work. :D

TN6_B1035794.JPGSimon.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not bad, Theatregal !

I checked my 2012 edition, page 163 -- and my 2018 edition, too, where the 2012 picture appears on page 164.... I was skeptical of your suggestion at first, but the more I think about it the more plausible it seems! But that raises the question of WHERE between Ledigos and Moratinos?! ;)

BTW - Brierley 2012 offered us just one ('gold dot') route between them, but Brierley 2018 offers an alternate ('green dot') Ledigos-Terradillos route. I assume that in 2012 you walked the 'gold dot' route?
Looking at the timeline of my photos, it has to be between Terradillos and Moratinos - so somewhere in the 3km or so between. Yes, we walked the 'gold dot' route in 2012.

That was a very good question, I have often wondered about that myself. We will now wait for a report from Revley in September, providing no one preempts him.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Wow - we sure do have some keen detectives on the forum. The more I look at the photo I agree that Ledigos to Sahagun is a possibility. If you know that most of these photos are taken in Spring or early Summer when the grain crops are high and green it helps with location. (John and his daughter do their walks in April and May, as I understand it). The reason I punted for the Itero area is that line of hills in the Western distance.. I have travelled this section in Sept and May and in May it was very green and wet. But hey unless John comes on line I doubt we will truly pin it down. Cheers

After Castrojeriz you climb up to the Alto de Mostelares. As you look west it seems as if the flat plain goes on forever. But after a few kms it dips and you go downhill. This pic was taken shortly after reaching the bottom, still a few km from reaching the Ermita de San Nicolas.

After Castrojeriz you climb up to the Alto de Mostelares. As you look west it seems as if the flat plain goes on forever. But after a few kms it dips and you go downhill. This pic was taken shortly after reaching the bottom, still a few km from reaching the Ermita de San Nicolas.
Hola Tom, that was my thinking when I made my first post. I will search through my photos. I have one taken from the top, looking west. It might help.

This the photo taken from the top of Castro; Alto de Mostelares. Cheers

Attachments

• 170.JPG
    170.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think you’re spot on Tom

View attachment 54094

View attachment 54095
Those trees match exactly to the ones in the guidebook as does their proximity to the ridge line and the ridge line itself. Pretty much nails it down.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back