• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

John Brierley is seriously ill - an invitation to send messages of thanks and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Johnnie Walker has just posted the following message to a Camino Facebook group. He has given me his permission to repeat his post here.

SEND A MESSAGE OF THANKS TO JOHN BRIERLEY WHO IS SERIOUSLY ILL

Dear Friends,
We bring you the sad news that John Brierley is very ill. Some time ago John began telling people that he was suffering from cancer. A few weeks ago he was in Spain to yet again update his guidebooks. He visited us in Santiago however his trip was cut short as his condition worsened.
We owe John a great debt. His guidebooks made the Camino routes accessible for thousands of pilgrims and his writings on the interior journey are an inspiration to many. John has been a hugely successful author and this gave him the opportunity to donate substantial amounts to Camino organisations and projects.

When he was here John spent time with Leigh and Patti of the Camino Café Podcast, recording his thoughts and memories. One of the upcoming episodes will be "Behind the Scenes of Camino Guides" which will introduce you to his daughter, Gemma. She has been working alongside him for years and will now be even more active in taking the guidebooks forward.

SEND YOUR PERSONAL THANKS TO JOHN
We are inviting the worldwide pilgrim community to express our gratitude to John so that he can feel the love and support of his fellow pilgrims.
In order to expedite this whilst respecting John’s privacy.

(Ivar: I have removed the email address since as of June 9th they have received over 1400 messages. Feel free to reply to this thread with your messages).

All messages will be printed and bound into a Book of Thanks which we will courier to John.
We are making this invitation with John’s permission. He sends his love and best wishes to pilgrims everywhere.
Thank you.

Leigh Brennan, Patti Pie Silva and Johnniewalker
To dear Mr Brierley,
It is with the greatest respect, admiration and appreciation that I address you directly at this time. I was very sorry and saddened to hear of your current suffering. Yet I am very grateful to have the opportunity to express how much you have meant to me since my first Camino Francés in 2009. Your guides are unique in their balance of scope, practicalities, cultural and historical information as well as wisdom and inspiration. A Brierley guide is a petite gem and a monolithic touchstone for this devoted peregrina from Australia. I want to now humbly convey that you will be in my heart, thoughts and prayers as you continue this etapa of your life which has blessedly touched so many of us very deeply. Ultreia!

We were recently relaxing in Biduedo and a beautiful lady (Australian as we learned) came in and was talking to our host in very good Spanish and in some distress. She had lost her guide book. It was not her first Camino and it wasn’t far until her planned finish in Sarria this time, but she was upset. We asked her about her guide book, we realised it was a Brierly guide she had lost and that and we had one in our room. So hubby went to our room and retrieved our guide book and together we all photographed the pages she needed to see and take with her. Her relief and reassurance were palpable and special. Thank you for that, John. best wishes from N Z

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Johnnie Walker has just posted the following message to a Camino Facebook group. He has given me his permission to repeat his post here.

Dear Friends,
We bring you the sad news that John Brierley is very ill. Some time ago John began telling people that he was suffering from cancer. A few weeks ago he was in Spain to yet again update his guidebooks. He visited us in Santiago however his trip was cut short as his condition worsened.
We owe John a great debt. His guidebooks made the Camino routes accessible for thousands of pilgrims and his writings on the interior journey are an inspiration to many. John has been a hugely successful author and this gave him the opportunity to donate substantial amounts to Camino organisations and projects.

When he was here John spent time with Leigh and Patti of the Camino Café Podcast, recording his thoughts and memories. One of the upcoming episodes will be "Behind the Scenes of Camino Guides" which will introduce you to his daughter, Gemma. She has been working alongside him for years and will now be even more active in taking the guidebooks forward.

We are inviting the worldwide pilgrim community to express our gratitude to John so that he can feel the love and support of his fellow pilgrims.

(Ivar: I have removed the email address since as of June 9th they have received over 1400 messages. Feel free to reply to this thread with your messages).

All messages will be printed and bound into a Book of Thanks which we will courier to John.
We are making this invitation with John’s permission. He sends his love and best wishes to pilgrims everywhere.
Thank you.

Thank you for letting us know this sad news.
Message to John Brierley:
Thank you for your wonderful books. It made all the difference to my pilgrimage in 2022. Bless you for all your hard work preparing and updating the information.
You have made a lasting positive difference to thousands of lives.
With all best wishes,
Cally Todd

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Dear John, I am infinitely grateful for your books which guided me during my years walking El Camino de Santiago. Blessings and love 🙏💙

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

I think you have had a fulfilling life and am so appreciative of it. Thank you for making my Camino the best experience of my life!!! Wishing you hugs and peace of mind.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Dear John. I am deeply grateful for your commitment to sharing the depth of your knowledge about the Camino Frances. Your spirit has so emphatically infused your guidebooks, and I have valued your reflective inspirations in my journeying. Thank you

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Dear John, Thanks for your companionship which I felt from having your guidebook when walking the Camino Frances 5 years ago, you are a star. Been camino Trevor P

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

I am sad to hear that John is unwell. I met John when he was in Dublin a few years ago and he autographed my 2006 edition of his Guide to Camino Frances which I treasure and have carried with me on the Way. My prayers and best wishes to you John...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back