• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

John Brierley is seriously ill - an invitation to send messages of thanks and support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradypus

Migratory hermit
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many and too often!
Johnnie Walker has just posted the following message to a Camino Facebook group. He has given me his permission to repeat his post here.

SEND A MESSAGE OF THANKS TO JOHN BRIERLEY WHO IS SERIOUSLY ILL

Dear Friends,
We bring you the sad news that John Brierley is very ill. Some time ago John began telling people that he was suffering from cancer. A few weeks ago he was in Spain to yet again update his guidebooks. He visited us in Santiago however his trip was cut short as his condition worsened.
We owe John a great debt. His guidebooks made the Camino routes accessible for thousands of pilgrims and his writings on the interior journey are an inspiration to many. John has been a hugely successful author and this gave him the opportunity to donate substantial amounts to Camino organisations and projects.

When he was here John spent time with Leigh and Patti of the Camino Café Podcast, recording his thoughts and memories. One of the upcoming episodes will be "Behind the Scenes of Camino Guides" which will introduce you to his daughter, Gemma. She has been working alongside him for years and will now be even more active in taking the guidebooks forward.

SEND YOUR PERSONAL THANKS TO JOHN
We are inviting the worldwide pilgrim community to express our gratitude to John so that he can feel the love and support of his fellow pilgrims.
In order to expedite this whilst respecting John’s privacy.

(Ivar: I have removed the email address since as of June 9th they have received over 1400 messages. Feel free to reply to this thread with your messages).

All messages will be printed and bound into a Book of Thanks which we will courier to John.
We are making this invitation with John’s permission. He sends his love and best wishes to pilgrims everywhere.
Thank you.

Leigh Brennan, Patti Pie Silva and Johnniewalker

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for posting this @Bradypus Like many others, I too owe John Brierley a debt of gratitude. When I set out on my first camino in 2011 I knew very little of what lay ahead. And to this day I’m grateful for that.

I walked out of SJPP with a feeling of excitement, a little trepidation - and a copy of John Brierley’s guidebook that I’d bought in SJPP. The layout was great, so easy to use, and it had all the information I needed in terms of the towns and villages where I might find accommodation and the distances between. I walked each day until I wanted to stop. I never had to make a booking. It was a blissful time and John Brierley was part of that - my ‘companion’. Though it’s many years since I’ve walked the Frances, I still have that guidebook. 🙏

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Johnnie Walker has just posted the following message to a Camino Facebook group. He has given me his permission to repeat his post here.

Dear Friends,
We bring you the sad news that John Brierley is very ill. Some time ago John began telling people that he was suffering from cancer. A few weeks ago he was in Spain to yet again update his guidebooks. He visited us in Santiago however his trip was cut short as his condition worsened.
We owe John a great debt. His guidebooks made the Camino routes accessible for thousands of pilgrims and his writings on the interior journey are an inspiration to many. John has been a hugely successful author and this gave him the opportunity to donate substantial amounts to Camino organisations and projects.

When he was here John spent time with Leigh and Patti of the Camino Café Podcast, recording his thoughts and memories. One of the upcoming episodes will be "Behind the Scenes of Camino Guides" which will introduce you to his daughter, Gemma. She has been working alongside him for years and will now be even more active in taking the guidebooks forward.

We are inviting the worldwide pilgrim community to express our gratitude to John so that he can feel the love and support of his fellow pilgrims.
In order to expedite this whilst respecting John’s privacy. Please email your message, by Wednesday 14th of June to: thankyoujohnbrierley@gmail.com

All messages will be printed and bound into a Book of Thanks which we will courier to John.
We are making this invitation with John’s permission. He sends his love and best wishes to pilgrims everywhere.
Thank you.

I am sad to see this message, but thankful that you shared it. I did send Mr. Brierley an email to thank him for his life and work.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I owe so much gratitude to John Brierley regarding the camino. As I was approaching retirement in late 2014, I learned about the camino and decided this would be a great adventure shortly after I retired. His guidebook on camino frances was one of the first I purchased. I devoured the guidebook and used it to plan our first camino. We made few advance reservations, staying mostly in municipal albergues. The maps, commentary, and suggestions were invaluable!

My wife and I successfully hiked from St Jean to Santiago in 2015. It was such a positive experience, we immediately decided to hike it again. In 2017 my brother and his wife join us, again on Camino Frances, with his guidebook tucked inside my Osprey backpack. Since then my wife and I have added two more Camino Frances.

This fall, I decided to embark on a different camino. In late September, I will hike the Camino Portuguese from Porto to Santiago. Again, the first book I purchased regarding this route was his guidebook. I am ready to hike my fifth camino, thanks John.

Thanks so much to John for the invaluable information he provided to inspire us to walk our first camino and the fond addiction we developed. We will pray for his peaceful outcome of his next journey. I am sad, but happy to send him a thankful email. Bob

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have posted a response on my Facebook page. I have also post a message of support to the Gmail address.
But the love and respect for John held by many pilgrims is evident by the above responses. Cancer is no respecter of person. All we can all do is pray for his well being and support John and his family.

Last edited:

Dear Friends,

In order to expedite this whilst respecting John’s privacy. Please email your message, by Wednesday 14th of June to: thankyoujohnbrierley@gmail.com

Thank you.

Prayers to John and his family. I found his CF guide to be outstanding and invaluable. I treasure his guide as a keepsake of my first camino in 2019. God bless him and all those dear to him.

I echo the thoughts of many on this thread. I too, brought my John Brierley guidebook on my first Camino Frances in 2015 and studied it religiously, making notes and under lining things of interest before I went to Spain. I relied on it completely and I later purchased his guidebook of the Portuguese Camino. Once again, it was indespendible to me, and they both sit on a shelf where I refer to them when I occasionally chime in with an opinion to help answer a newbie's question.
I have always appreciated his simple to read maps. I have read on the forum a few who have said his distances are not quite accurate, but it never mattered to me; they were close enough to get me where I wanted to go.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
sit on a shelf where I refer to them when I occasionally chime in with an opinion to help answer a newbie's question.
Same. My charished copy is well worn and my go to when offering some sort of assistance to someone here on this forum.

I owe Mr. John Brierley so much for getting me across Spain. I purchased his guidebook to the Frances in 2012. I studied and studied it. I felt anxiety and excitement and fits of impatience as I waited to set out in Sept 2013. His guidebook was my only source for my first Camino. I didn’t know of any Facebook pages or of this forum. I made it by following those yellow arrows John so fondly refers to.

Thank you John for your time and efforts in showing so many The Way. May God Bless you and keep you. May you and your loved ones find peace. ❤️

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I, like many, planned for my first Camino using John's guide. It was so packed with information that I felt empowered to walk solo, a sixty-something on the way. I can thank him for my growing addiction and hope that the way along his future path sees him supported in love and respect from the thousands of pilgrims who are indebted to his guides.

The Camino has been part of my life for the past 10 years. I have just walked Burgos to Sarria. At 78, I think it will be my last one. I’ve always walked with one of John’s guides and left another at home so that my family can check my whereabouts. Thank you, John, for adding so much pleasure to my life!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although I have never met John I am very sad to hear about his ill health. Like many others myself and my husband set off in September 2016 nervously clutching our already much read copy of his guide to the Camino Frances. It was our "Bible" for the next 6 weeks. It consoled us, reassured us, gave us confidence and finally got us to Santiago without once going astray. Again like many others, for us, it was merely the first of many caminos. We are greatly indebted to John for changing our lives, as long distance walking is now our shared passion and has enhanced our 46 year long relationship. Hugs and prayers, John, from 2 more indebted pilgrims xxx 🙏🕯️

So sad to hear this news. Back in 2007 a friend who had just returned from the Camino loaned me John’s book. I only glanced through it and immediately bought my own copy. I did my first Camino Frances later that year, again in 2008 and 2009. As 2010 was a Holy Year with large numbers of pilgrims forecast I did the Camino de la Plata with which I fell in love and walked it 6 times. In 2015 I walked the Portuguese from Lisbon. On that one and on the three Frances I always carried John’s guides. On the earliest of the guides John recommended that one should leave their phones at home. I once met John at a Camino function in Dublin and I asked him if that advice still applied. He just smiled.
John you are in my prayers. Michael.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

I can't really imagine a Camino without one of his guides with me.
He set the Gold standard for others to follow & painstakingly, and lovingly, kept them
all up to date with such a great eye for detail.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, John.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

I wrote to him as soon as I saw your email address. He is the camino. I first heard about his illness on your show, Leigh. I really believed he would walk his way forward and through. Maybe has seen a new camino path to explore. If there is a Mount Rushmore of modern day camino figures, he would be there.

Last edited:
Oh my, where to begin. Although my Brierly “Bible” still looks relatively new on the outside, all the notes, underlined passages, and highlights on the maps are forever cherished. I bought two so that my husband could follow along as I went without him. I will forever be thankful for the love and devotion he put into this guide.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is a sad story indeed.
John is also known as the author of Camino Bible. His guide books helped so many people planning for their camino, especially their first camino. I still have my 2014 version of Camino France. In 2016 I was on Camino Portuguese, and in one of albergues I stayed had a room labeled "John Brierley" room where he once stayed.

I purchased two copies of John Brierley's Camino Frances guidebook before heading to Europe in spring, 2017. I kept one for daily use in my backpack; the other I left with my wife back home so she could see what my stops were along the way and vicariously walk along with me, and our wonderful tour guide, John. To you, Mr. Brierley, our gratitude for all you've done for pilgrims around the world, and our heartfelt wishes for your comfort during this time.

John's guide was my constant companion on my 2005 Camino. I loved his balanced spirit approach as well as all the information. I used the margins as my diary as well. After my first camino, i only needed the single sheet guide that the amis in SJPdP provided. Navigating the camino is so easy!! But for that first scary year, i was grateful for Johns guide!! May he be at ease knowing how much he contributed to so many.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Very sad news.
We have well thumbed copies of the Camino Finisterre and the Camino Ingles which we used very successfully on the two Camino’s we have completed.
This year we are working our way through the Camino Frances guide and will be thinking of John as we walk with it in September.👣🙏❤️

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

We owe our Camino aspirations becoming a reality to John. Being a part of this tribute and giving of thanks is a heart felt humbling experience.
Buen Camino John.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Message sent! John's book helped my marriage stay connected when my husband/son walked the CF and I could not! (We had two copies and I read each day about where they were, etc. This was prior to the proliferation of cellphones!)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to thank John in this way. Here's the note that I have sent.

-----------------------------

Like thousands of other peregrinos, I’ve walked the Camino with your guidebooks in my hand, and you’ve steered me well, every step of the way.

For that, I must thank you from the bottom of my heart - and so do my feet, shoulders, hips, and every other part of me that benefited from your guidance.

Muchas gracias, Ultreia and an eternal Buen Camino to you.

Best wishes

John Lloyd

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Thank you for letting us know and giving us the opportunity to express our gratitude to A LEGEND of the Camino de Santiago. His dedication and service to the Camino de Santiago will always be in our hearts and be felt in the ground where so many footprints have passed. Our thoughts and prayers are with him and his family, we are sharing the same "field of stars".

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’ve used - and loved - John’s guidebooks since 2012. Not only has he provided all the nuts and bolts information needed, he also included The Practical Path and The Mystical Path. I would read the relevant pages of the guidebook each morning before I set off and on so many occasions John’s thoughts from The Mystical Path would give me food for thought for much of the day - and beyond.

I too, had the privilege of meeting John both in Sydney and at the Australian Friends of the Camino 2019 Adelaide Conference.

Several of us at one of the breaks at the conference had a conversation with John when we spoke about our favourite churches along the CF. I mentioned that the beautiful church at Los Arcos was my favourite and John asked me if I’d gone up to the gallery that overlooks the ground floor of the church. I told him, no, I didn’t realise there was one and how did one get to it. He replied that it was very easy, you just need to go through the door marked “Do Not Enter”!

I imagine in John’s life he’s opened lots of such doors … he is one who makes things happen. The Club of Budapest is but one example.

Very, VERY best wishes from Sydney, John and my deep thanks for all you have done in your selfless and loving service to pilgrims everywhere.

Jenny

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not ashamed to admit that I'm sat here shedding a few tears reading everyone's lovely comments to dear John Brierley. I emailed John last summer on my return from the Frances to thank him for his brilliant book, and told him about a moment I experienced on the camino that made me decide to push-on when I was ready to quit. John responded with a beautifully thoughtful message. I will cherish my copy of the Camino Frances forever, it's really special to me. John really captured the essence of the camino and I just loved the quirky guidebook with his musings and quotations at the start of each day, in particular "If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain." [Dolly Parton]

Many many thanks to John Brierly, so sorry to hear this news, he was so very helpful to multitudes of peregrinos, myself included. My first Camino Frances last summer/fall could not have been completed without his wonderful guidebook, a lifesaver to me as I pored through it nightly for help to plan my next days. My Camino was the most wonderful event of my life, and am going back again soon, and again, and again... We are all eternally grateful for his help and wisdom. Prayers to John Brierly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sad news!!!

Thank you for everything you have done, are doing and will do for the Camino, for the pilgrims and for the hospitaleros! Without you, without some other wonderful people like you, the Camino could never have become what it is. You should receive the title of Honorary Ambassador of the Camino de Santiago.

Thank you!!!

Gabriel and Anita

Last edited:
Heartfelt well-wishing to you, John. For ease, for healing! Your guide was my bible and the source of much imagining before my first camino. And of course once on the ground it became a trusted friend. Now 7 caminos on (and no longer tied to any guides) I still feel profound thanks that you were there to (metaphorically) hold my hand as I was taking baby steps.

You have done so much to make the way less daunting. And because of that, legions of us still walking the old roads, with so much gratitude for your work and encouragement.

May you have ease and peace - and a glad heart, knowing you have helped so many of us along the way.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Dear Friends,

(Ivar: I have removed the email address since as of June 9th they have received over 1400 messages. Feel free to reply to this thread with your messages).

Thank you.

Bradypus - is it still possible to send John a message! If so, how can it be Dione?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bradypus - is it still possible to send John a message! If so, how can it be Dione?
Part of the thinking behind the book of thanks was to give an opportunity for many people to express their thanks and good wishes without giving John the added burden of responding individually to a great mass of personal messages while his health is so fragile. Ivar has decided to leave this thread in place if members of the forum wish to post their thoughts here.

Part of the thinking behind the book of thanks was to give an opportunity for many people to express their thanks and good wishes without giving John the added burden of responding individually to a great mass of personal messages while his health is so fragile. Ivar has decided to leave this thread in place if members of the forum wish to post their thoughts here.
Thank you for update. This must be a tense time, yes? for his family. Whatever, John will know sooner or later how much he has given, and then, he can sit back, and smile! Thank you and those closely connected to this thread.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Wow that is so sad to hear, John has been a source of great inspiration to me in planning my first Camino, put back several times due to covid..I will be taking my first steps in Spain next year as i head out to the state in France, and I will be clutching my Brierley guidbook which will now give me further inspiration. Thanks John for your wonderful Labour of love. Buena Camino.

Dear John - I add my voice to the multitudes who have been so richly blessed by your contribution to our awareness of, and appreciation for, all things Camino related. I thank you for your loving service, and I bless you on your journey - wherever it may now take you.

I have mine as well, and so many happy memories flood to mind each time I look at it. 😊
I have mine too signed by John. He told me he would rather sign a well used, dog eared old copy than a brand new one. He accepted a copy of my amateurish book and instead of leaving it on a table, he still had it under his arm when he left. A real gentleman. It was a pleasure and an honour to meet and chat with him

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

John Brierley thank you for all your research.Your guide books have proved to be such a wonderful resource.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Both my camino Francés and Portuguese Brierley guides have been marked up heavily by me and passed to others who wanted a taste of the camino before walking themselves.
I hope he know that the hours and hours spent planning with the guides are an exciting part of the camino as a whole.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A ‘thank you’ that can not be stated in words. You ‘walked’ the path with me for several journeys. For that, I thank you. May you not walk alone as you navigate the path ahead. Blessings, Michelle

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Best wishes to John, a decent man.

Sad news. I always valued John's guidebooks not so much for the logistical information and local history which was if course excellent but the sharing of his spiritual journey on the way.I recall his comment on a video interview he done some time ago where he said we are all on a camino every day referring to the spiritual journey of life which was so true. God speed to him and hopefully he will be around for another while to come.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

John,
I wish you my best. Your Camino guidebook is was instrumental to my planning and journey along the Camino Frances. We began the Camino Frances in St Jean Pied de Port May, 9, 2023 and arrived in Santiago de Compostela June 5, 2023. I walked 24 days and rode a bicycle 4 days. You made the Camino come to life for me and oh so many people.
All my best,
Kate

Sending love and best wishes...without your guide books I might never have done the Camino. Just about to head back for my third one in a few days. May the love and prayers and support of the many pilgrims from all around the world help you now. Thank you John for all you've done.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

From a dear friend:
In these moments of deep angst, friends, don't be afraid to lean on Spirit. The answer to what is yours to do lies there.
From my meditation:
"Give Me your pain, so I can give you peace.
Give Me your confusion, so I can give you clarity.
Give Me your laments, so I can give you love.
Give Me your turmoil, so I can give you truth.
Give Me your madness, so I can give you meaning.
Give Me your desperation, so I can give you inspiration.
In the stillness of your heart and mind, let Me guide you to what is yours to do.
Come to me. Rest in Me.
And listen…”
Love, always
💖
🙏

~Mony

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Thank you Bradypus. You could never beat the presentation of John's guides. The words, the maps. My bible when I walked the Camino Francés in 2018. Now dog eared and battered but I keep it on my kitchen table to this day and wistfully refer to it from time to time - to bring back fond memories of my first Camino. I did the Portuguese Central in May last year '22 and pilgrims told me that John had just passed through updating his guidebook no doubt but I missed him - he may have been only a day in front of me. What an honour that would have been. A great Irishman.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Buen Camino Mr Brierly. We shall meet again on the Way to Santiago. God bless you and keep you in the Spirit of the Light.
With love and appreciation, JoJo and Nery Aurora Peregrina.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Thank you for sharing these sad news, Bradypus. Here’s my message:
Dear John, I owe you a heartfelt thanks for opening up various Caminos to me. I walked the SJPP in 2005 and the Camiño Portugues in 2012 and with the invaluable help from your guidebooks. I planned to walk part of the Sanabrés last summer, but had to cancel due to Covid. I want to go there this fall in stead. Taking these longer hikes has enriched my life, and given me so many wonderful relations and experiences. Reading your guidebooks many years after my travels also means so much to me. Just looking at them in my shelf makes me happy!
All the best to you, John. I pray for your health and wellbeing!
Best, Eva Marie, Denmark

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Thank you, John Brierley for your writing the Camino guide. When I walked the French Way ten years ago, I relied on your guidance and because of it had a life-changing, wonderful experience.

Mr. Brierley,

I have moved several times since I trekked The Camino in 2017. I have given away so many possessions, literally all of my furnishings, clothes, books, and more, but not once did I ever think to part with my John Brierley book. It is truly one of the few things that I will not part with. I still remember the excitement I had buying it at the book store in preparation for my journey. I came home super giddy and I read it until my eyes got blurry and closed and then I got up and did it all over again almost daily until my departure weeks later. It is truly a dream come true to follow your guidance and experience all the wonders, lessons, towns, and fellow pilgrims on the Camino. And as a woman, your book gave me comfort to feel safe to take this journey.

I always have and will continue to smile when I here the name John Brierley. It is hard to describe the feelings and emotions of the Camino, but you are part of my journey (and so many others) and my life has been changed for the better because of you.

Best,
L

So sorry to hear the bad news. My wife and I had the privilege to run into him at a restaurant in Padron in 2016 in our Portuguese Camino route and had the opportunity to thank him personally for all he has done for us pilgrims. His guides have been an immense resource for us in both the Camino Frances and Camino Portugues. God bless you John, and we hope and wish for you a prompt recovery.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Thank you John, as with so many others we owe you a debt of gratitude. Your books are always the guide of choice. We wish you a quick return to good health, and our thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I first wrote to Caminoguides.com in 2014 and was surprised to get a personal reply from John Brierley. I did ask if he would write a guide for the VDLP but it lacks the popularity of other Caminos and so it wasn’t being considered. Like so many I started in 2012 with John’s French guide and I’m keeping it in good condition, even though the latest guide books are more compact. Should any of the routes be removed I will still find them in the old edition. I also have the Portuguese guide and the Muxia/Finisterre guide which have also been invaluable. Thank you for the pleasure they bring, both abroad and at home.
I would like to add my wishes for healing and I’ll light a candle for you in Santiago Amigo.

John I have several of your books and they have made all my caminos so much richer. My prayers are with you from Camino Portugal ! Thanks for all your contributions over the years. You are a true trail blazer !! Sending wishes for your health and recovery
🙏🏻

We are all human, but some of us stand out - John stood out ... apart from him being a deeply honest good and kind person his guides were - are - outstanding, simply outstanding.

No prayers will delay what is meant to be, no sadness will alter it ... he has reached the top rung of that ladder we all are climbing and is now stepping over and we are crowded below him, waiting for our turn - remember this, in living, on Camino .... our turn also awaits.

All Is Well. When he passes it will simply be him falling upwards out of his broken body and into the arms of angels, welcoming loving angels, that good man.

His books will stay, our memories will stay .. in a sense, as long as those books exist and we exist, then he exists.

For me? On my next first aid and pastoral care Camino this September I will light candles for him ... wherever and whenever I can. I shall also raise many sunset glasses of Rioja in memory of that good man. xxxx

Last edited:

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

I am indebted to you John for your wonderful guidebook.
I purchased a copy in preparation for a Camino in 2020, which had to be cancelled due to the covid outbreak.
However I did the Camino Francis in April this year with a mate of mine and we devoured your guidebook both before and during the walk. It was an invaluable resource in every way.
Thank you so much for the time and effort you have put into it over the years. My copy now sits beside me, looking like it's just been dragged screaming across eight hundred kilometers of northern Spain. I pick it up and randomly open it, and enjoy reflecting on that stage of our journey.
I am sure I join with many Peregrinos in wishing you all the best John; Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
John, you are one of a very select group of people who, being seriously ill, receive messages of love, concern and prayers sent from people quite literally all over this world, the vast majority of whom haven’t met you or each other and yet have read, followed and loved your guidebooks. That is an incredible thought.
I, too, have my first Brierley guide, lots of notes and comments in it made when walking the Francés. Missed very much not having one for the VdlP and now thoroughly reading and enjoying your Invierno guide prior to walking it. God bless you, John, huge thanks to you and also to Gemma for everything you do for us pilgrims,
from a very grateful peregrina

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear this news. I read, used and watched many of John's guides. However what I am left with the most, is his own story of how he felt 'called' to write guide books - which he did in abundance! A very kind and soulful man. Thank you for listening to and following your Spirit John. The rippling effect of you doing this has been enormous. Forever grateful. 💜

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you John for your wonderful guide to the Camino Portuguese - we used it for our first Camino - and despite you emailing me to say - 'Do not try and take a bicycle over the Portela Grande' - I so wanted to follow every step of the Camino - so we did! With fully laden bikes we had possibly the hardest day of our lives.... But it also taught us more than I can say - and is now a mainstay of our disaster stories! Thank you for all your hard work and planning - it is appreciated by so many of us pilgrims. Love and Peace.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

Hi John, I can’t begin to express how much you helped me in my first pilgrimage. Know you are much loved.
Best wishes,
Heather Kelly (Canada)

Dear John, you are loved and respected by so many pilgrims who owe their own spiritual journeys and safety to you and your guide books! I and a group of fellow pilgrims are saddened to hear of your ailing health on your own personal pilgrimage in life, and our inability to offer you anything to help you but our love and appreciation.
pilgrimb and Jennie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear John.

I often think of you as the 'Father' of the modern Camino. So many people have set out on their first Camino, myself included, clutching one of your guide books. I now have a large pile of them on my bookshelf! And most of them on my phone in Kindle format finally. I know you resisted that for a long time. ;)

When I heard that earlier in life you became a Chartered Surveyor, it came as no surprise. For me the maps are the best part of your Guides. So clear and with just the right amount of information.

I have no idea how many guide books you have sold over the years. But just imagine how many people have read them and gained such value from them. I think I read somewhere, that on average, a book is read by 5 people, as friends pass them around. How much joy, pleasure and sound advice your books must have given over the years.

As you face these challenging times in terms of your health, please know that Pilgrims all over the World pray for you, and wish you well.

Rob and Pat.

John,
You are in my thoughts and prayers, thank you for all your time, words, and efforts.
I have carried your guides since 2008 and have been enlightened and delighted by your words.
God Bless you.

William Daly

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

John,

I have been walking Camino's for 11 years and have always depended on your books to guide the way.
I have loved the informational part about each city, town, and villages and your inspiration guidance along the Way
John, as a Cancer survivor I pray that the good Lord will keep you strong as you continue your fight and will bless you with healing and spare you from pain,
Thank you for all you have done for all the Pilgrims of the world, you have been a great inspiration

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

€83,-
Dear John,

My very first dog-eared and somewhat rain-damaged guide from several years ago still sits proudly on my bookshelf alongside its more pristine cousins. That guide was indispensable - the care and attention which had gone into it was obvious, and, like others have said, I thank you for assisting my wanderings.

I wish you well on this particularly journey. May it turn out well ...

Kindest regards, Peter Campbell, Australia.

€46,-
John, like many others, your books and insight changed my life and guided me from going astray on many a Camino.

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

This is very sad news indeed. John's guide books have given confidence to so many setting of on the Camino for the first time. The world of the Camino owes him a very great deal 🙏🏻

Dear Friends,

Thank you.

John, my first camino was guided by your book on the Primitivo. Since then I have walked in Spain four times and head back again this September. You were my guide and inspiration. God bless you.
Mary Merrill, Coeurd’Alene, Idaho, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back