• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

John Brierley's Guide Book 2011

cathietherese

Catherine Davis
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP - Finistere May/June 2012
Le-Puy-en-Velay to Cahors/ June 2019
I am starting the Camino at the beginning of May and planning to reach Finisterre. I see John Brierley has justed published a 2011 edition and maybe I need to update from my 2010 one?. It is doubtful this would reach me in NZ before I leave, I am guessing you can purchase this easily enough at SJPDP but would welcome any other suggestions as I will be in Paris for a few nights beforehand. Thank you.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you visit the Pilgrim Office in SJPP they will give you a sheet with up-to-date listings of accommodation, so with your 2010 Brierley that should be fine. I am not sure whether you can find a Brierley guide in SJPP or not. Perhaps you can in the Pilgrim equipment shop that has been opened there, but in general, English language books are not easy to come across in France.
Margaret

Any idea what the prices are like in that shop? I'd imagine it'd be at quite the premium?

I'm thinking of just buying (or maybe finding?) a walking stick instead of shipping one over, but I would think they'd be very expensive in SJPP due to demand and scalping opportunity.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have used John Brierley's Guides for my 2010 and 2011 Caminos, and ordered them on-line from the publishers, Findhorn Press, who are in Scotland. I found them to be the cheapest of many sources, and they were delivered them to me in Australia within a week. Email: info@findhornpress.com; http://www.findhornpress.com. I very much doubt that John Brierley's guides are available in St Jean.
Compared to prices in Australia, equipment in France and Spain is very cheap eg walking poles at $20 each compared to the same at $60 in Australia.

Hola. My name is Ricardo. I walked the Camino in 2010 from Ronsesvalles to Santiago
This time I am coming with my brother and sister in law, and we plan to start in SJDP in May 29
As you, we are staying a few days in Paris. Do you know any moderate price Hotel in Paris close to the center of the city? Also, what is the best way to get to SJDP from Paris?
Do I have to make reservation or it is better to buy a ticket in the train station if I decide that method of transportation? If you can help I will really appreciate
Buen Camino

I walked the Camino Frances route for a second time back in May/June 2011 using my old guidebook that I used in 2007 (published in 2006) when I first walked the Camino and had no problem.

With the list of accommodation that the office provides in Saint Jean PdP, you really do not need an updated guidebook especially if it is only a year or two old.

Besides there are plenty of people to ask along the way if you want even more information beyond what the guidebook might have

Regards

Neville

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi cathietherese

I have the Brierly 2011 edition that I bought last year. There are updates available to bring this up to date for 2012. I found the updates on the web and went through them and they were identical in every way to the 2011 book. I would say that the 2010 edition you have and this years albergue list from the Pilgrims office in St Jean PdP will be more than adequate.

I hope you have a wonderful time - Buen Camino

Ron

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Oops, sorry about that, the publication date was of course, December 2011.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.